A Fish out of Water

A Fish out of Water

A Poem by light and ashes

I am a fish out of water.
I am a sea creature on land, searching for a place that I belong,
a pond or some body of water where I can breathe.
I thought I would be safe here.
Sharks swim around looking for a tasty morsel.
The predators here are more crafty.
They have methods of capture that I was not aware of.
They hide behind bushes and trees that are foreign to me.





© 2023 light and ashes


Author's Note

light and ashes
Samy Charlie

My Review

Would you like to review this Poem?
Login | Register




Featured Review

I like where you go with a number of these poems. I would encourage you to go back after a month or so and re-read them and see if they want to go further.
For example, the snakes in the nightmare - I couldn't help but think that a next line surely had to be something about the lack of logic in a nightmare.

Same with many of these - excellent starting points but I would hope they could be fleshed out just a bit more. Not a lot - just some.

Posted 2 Years Ago


1 of 1 people found this review constructive.

light and ashes

2 Years Ago

Thank you so much for stopping by and reading. I really appreciate your input. That's really interes.. read more



Reviews

Such a superb use of metaphor and imagery. I love its complete symetry.

Posted 5 Months Ago


light and ashes

5 Months Ago

I'm so glad that you enjoyed it. Thank you so much.
When a metaphor is done so well that you almost can't tell what it is, is a rare feat. You accomplished that here. And your lines are truly relatable, not really belonging anywhere, the predators are always lurking. Really enjoyed this, looking forward to reading more of your work.

Posted 6 Months Ago


light and ashes

6 Months Ago

Thank you, Obsidian, truly glad that you enjoyed yourself here.
Metaphorically seeking. Like others have said we are all fish out of water from time to time. Wandering about wanting to fit in. Especially with new environments. Good read.

With love,

Matthew

Posted 6 Months Ago


light and ashes

6 Months Ago

New environments are hard,
and we often unfamiliar and uninformed of the dangers.

read more
light and ashes

6 Months Ago

New environments are hard,
and we are often unfamiliar and uninformed of the dangers.
.. read more
Many methods come to the poet in the process of our craft, we read it back to ourselves, we hire the trusted editor and always bleed righteous. Some methods serve to help while others should burst out of you and be left until maybe that day arrives and you say to yourself..why I’m not a fish at all. I am a Maserati on fire, the happenstance of what happened over a billion years ago and I am not taking a single person prisoner! But for now that picture says everything and the poem floods of evolution. Revisit, revamp, reassure us all, but keep a copy of the original because this is perfect. Most poetry done well screams from our darkest hour… I think you’ve captured that here, but who knows … do you like it?

Posted 6 Months Ago


in this dat and age everyone feels like a fish out of water at some point. we just have to keep on swimming until the right pond comes along

Posted 6 Months Ago


light and ashes

6 Months Ago

Thank you, rock and roll cowboy.
[send message][befriend] Subscribe
Pax
I am a fish out of water.
I am a sea creature on land

I was thinking of Mudskippers and Christmas Island red crab as I read throughout, it describe how harsh our world still is.. We survive on our own efforts and hard work.. But what matters the most despite everything seems foreign, is we learn as we enjoy our journey... Nice work...

Posted 1 Year Ago


light and ashes

1 Year Ago

Cool, thank you so much for visiting and reviewing.
I have always felt like I was born out of time, like I do not believe in this era. This has that same feeling. I guess we all feel like a stranger in a strange land at times. The journey is in finding ourselves.

Posted 1 Year Ago


light and ashes

1 Year Ago

Thank you for your review, Linda Marie.
:) I appreciate it.
It is true, when we are out of our element everything ir foreign to us.

Posted 1 Year Ago


light and ashes

1 Year Ago

it a sucky experience and a very scary one.
There is a sly cleverness I admire. Lines between the lines. A future you have never met. Awesome.

Posted 1 Year Ago


light and ashes

1 Year Ago

hmmm, interesting, thank you.
Beware of what lurks behind bushes and trees
for it might not be what you find in the seas. : )

Nice one my friend.

Posted 1 Year Ago


light and ashes

1 Year Ago

Thank you, Willweb. You are sweet man, and I appreciate it.

First Page first
Previous Page prev
1
Share This
Email
Facebook
Twitter
Request Read Request
Add to Library My Library
Subscribe Subscribe


Stats

444 Views
26 Reviews
Rating
Added on April 2, 2022
Last Updated on November 1, 2023


Related Writing

People who liked this story also liked..


Why bother Why bother

A Poem by emmajoy