chapter 1

chapter 1

A Chapter by Julie Fran

He was sure Sara Doblin had shouted it, spreading it the word “ Fight”like racing wildfire. Inwardly cursing her for her stupidity. He reasoned he could have gotten out of this with a few poor thought out insults and some form of threat but now. He glanced, sweeping across the gathered eager faces. He grunted, the thick muscled hand gripping his collar pulling him forward and closer into the face of Zachary Pice.  Now? Now,  He was going to get pummeled.

He glanced around, praying for Mrs. Culler too be storming down like a herd of elephants to stop this.  Nope. No, such luck however.

Zachary must have finally had enough encouragement from the crowd. He jerked him backwards and then forwards, knocking his chin with the knuckles of his fist. “Listen Here you little B***h.” He sneered. Though he himself couldn’t say it was much of an improvement, since his face was always ready to sneer. Like it looked like someone printed it upon his face and said, Yep this guys destined to be an a*s.

He supposed he’d have to milk this for all he got. Keep whatever little respect he had. Maybe even some sympathy, he glanced around again. Completely ignoring Zachary and his little speech, But then again. Sympathy seems out of the question, they look like a pack of starved hyenas.

The first punch came, hitting him across the cheek. His head whipped to the side. A gush of blood spewing from his lips, having accidentally bit down onto his cheek. The crowd went wild then, blood sending the others into a craze. The energy buzzed big man zachary even further, he let go. This was his fatal flaw. He had stumbled backwards, the taste of his own blood overwhelming him for a moment.  The guy just couldn't keep himself calm, he let his emotions rule him. His body moving without thought to the side, missing the right hand punch.  

He Silenced them… The crowd of thirsting hyena’s, stood staring.

As if he had done the most unnatural thing plausible for prey. He fought back.

Zachary didn’t let this stop him though.  Had his fists close to his body, ready for another hit.

There was little to say then.

He smeared the blood off with his sleeve, watching and calculating the quick jabs being made by Zachary.

He looked for an escape route, best possible action was to run, but the shifting crowds left little options of escaping in time before he was hauled back. His next thought was for a teacher, he couldn’t see past the taller seniors but from what he could tell. Cavalry wasn’t showing anytime soon. Option one was to be pummeled, Option two…. To be pummeled.

Zachary came forward, his fists close to his face like a boxer's, He cocked his head to the side. Studying the way his feet glided and his shoulders hunched and tense. His eyes rose to look into the face of Zachary, the smudge of brown dirt that was his eyes stared back. A cold stern determination set, his mind set, his body ready. Option three, take the predator.

His choices were limited, he spit a wad of blood at his feet. Remaining relaxed as the solid form of zachary moved closer within his space. He was aiming close range, clearly indicated by zachary’s subtle moves to inch closer within his space. Aiming to hit body torso, with the level of muscle dexterity that zachary held. Any blows would cause broken ribs and worst case scenario. If hit with full force, possible bruised organs. His hair fell into his eyes, blocking the way his pupils dilated. His mind falling silent, breathe slowing. His focus completely on the target coming closer.  The sound of his own blood rushing in his ears.  

Now.

Zachary moved, his fist flying forward in a jab to his face. It was a smart move, daze the opponent with a head strike and then aim for the kill.

Too bad though. It would have been interesting to see how it played out.

He caught the fist with the palm of his left hand creating a harsh cupping sound, deflecting the fist up above his head. Zachary stepped in reflexively, his stance ruined and left open. Zachary could have still won but with that look of surprise on his face. He just scoffed at the idea.  

Nearly made him laugh as that look of surprise morphed into shock, his right fist landing in poor Zach’s stomach.

The air left Zachary’s mouth violently, tendrils of saliva dripping down his lips.

He went down fast and hard with nothing keeping him standing.

A swift grip of guilt caught in his throat as zachary was left wheezing from off the ground. He swallowed it down though, looking up to glance at the crowd.

He spotted Sara Doblin first.  Her tanned face shining under the sun and dyed dirty blonde hair frozen behind her.

His eyes widened, “ What?”

What was this? He watched her figure start to seize, flickering and turning block like. He resembled it to the likes of a video game.

This wasn’t a video game, He thought vehemently. Looking  further at the crowd.

This was…. What was this?  His eyes trailed the faces of the crowd, all of them.  Flickering and frozen like Sara.  

He jumped, looking down to glance at Zachary whose hand was grabbing onto his ankle. He jerked his leg from zach’s hand, watching a glitching zach whose eyes were no longer dirt brown but a solid blue. His usually sun bleached blonde hair now fading a deep grey, mouth opening.

He jumped moving further back as the usually deep tone of zachary’s was replaced by the high pitched scream of Sara’s.

Screaming his name. “ Duo!”

Duo stumbled backwards, hitting his back up against the library building.  What was this? W-What was happening. His name stopped being screamed and then it was silent. He almost wished Zachary would start screaming again. The silence was eerie.

A mechanical voice of a woman’s came on, filtering itself from nowhere.  The voice echoed, catching itself on the buildings.

“ Program malfunction, Program Malfunction.” It repeated.

Program! What the hell was this! He wasn’t in  a program! He glanced over at the glitching crowd barely recognizing them anymore, as they disintegrated. Becoming nothing.

He wasn’t… He wasn’t in a program. The voice came back on again, unfazed.

“ Program Restart Activated initiating countdown.”

Restart? What was that! What do you mean by Restart! he screamed.

The hairs on his arms prickling on the back of his neck.

“10”

“9”

“8”

Wait! Stop! What do you mean restart!

“7”

“6”

This has got to be a joke! Cut it out!

“5”

“4”

Please

“3”

“2”

Answer ME!!

“1”

“0”

“Restart beginning now.”



© 2015 Julie Fran


My Review

Would you like to review this Chapter?
Login | Register




Share This
Email
Facebook
Twitter
Request Read Request
Add to Library My Library
Subscribe Subscribe


Stats

233 Views
Added on September 16, 2015
Last Updated on September 16, 2015
Tags: boy, genius, duo, game, action, mystery, future


Author

  Julie Fran
Julie Fran

About
Welcome, I'm 18 years old. A senior this year and my goal is to continue to improve my writing skills. more..

Writing