Being a mermaid

Being a mermaid

A Story by deepblue04

                Whenever someone thinks of a mermaid, they think of a beautiful woman with a fish tail.  Yet, for me, I can’t attract any men, they don’t notice me.  At times, I wish I could be like my older sisters, Narcene and Melody.  They can get a thousand men at the snap of their fingers.

                Today is my birthday; I am turning 16 this year.  I am finally going to be accepted as a princess.  However, the downside is that I have to find a husband.  The princesses are supposed to be the most beautiful mermaids in the world, yet I’m the first, as my father and sisters have said, to be unattractive.

                Every morning, I would wake up when the sun’s rays shone through the water.  No one ever wakes up as early as I do.  Today, I looked inside the mirror in the bathroom and stared at it for a long time.  Something looks different I thought to myself, yet I couldn’t tell what it was.  I took my long black hair and pulled it up to a ponytail.  I must’ve taken a long time because my sister, Melody, decided to knock on the door.

                “Hurry up!” Melody screamed.

                “Why? So you can take a longer time than I do? Today is a special day for me!” I shouted back.

                “Serenity, no matter how long you stay in there, you’re not gonna get any prettier!” she yelled.

                I threw open the door, upset.  Melody’s mouth fell open and she stared at me.

                “What?”  I asked.

                “You… look beautiful today,” she mumbled in disbelief.

                “Huh? You’ve never told me that before.”

                “Maybe it’s just because of today,” she said quickly.

                “Whatever,” I walked away. 

                I did my hair and a little make-up, then I walked down the hall. People were staring at me.  I started to get nervous. 

                 I locked myself away until they called me for the ceremony.  The maids dressed me up with a blue frilly skirt on my tail for the ceremony.  My tail is like the deep ocean blue, not the pretty emerald-blue of the shallow ocean waters like my sisters tails’ have.  The maids put a whole bunch of other things on me that I wanted to know about.  When I swam into the grand hall, everyone was in shock. Crushed by the pressure of their stares, I awkwardly swam down the aisle.  My father had the same look as everyone else.  He fixed himself when I came to him.

                “Today,” he said. “We have come to see my daughter, Serenity, become a princess.  The crown that is in my hands signifies her personality and her accomplishments. ”

                My father slowly put the crown on my head.  The moment it touched my scalp, my body began glowing.

                “What’s happening?” I turned to my father.

                “There was always something about you,” Father mumbled.

                “Dad?”

                “Serenity, I’m sorry.” He said softly.

                “What?” I raised my voice.

                “You have been chosen”

                “For what? Please tell me.” I begged him.

                “You have to find a mortal man.”

                “What? How?”

                “You will know who he is; you must take him as your husband, though he must become one of us.”

                “I have to go to the surface?”

                “Serenity, you have the gift.”

                The crowd was shocked.

                “The gift?” I asked.

                “You can live in either world.  Though there is only one man, which can come back here with you.  However, he must have the greatest possession.  That is the only way he can follow you here.” Father explained.

                “I have to live as one of them?” I begged him.

                “Yes.” He said with a serious look.

                “Am I an outcast?”

                “No.” My dad looked at me with tears almost coming to his eyes.

                I started to cry.  No one came up to comfort me, not even my dad even though was next to me.  I was taken back to my room by servants, where I cried myself to sleep.

                The next day I packed my bag.  I didn’t know what to pack but I got a full set of clothes, a shirt and a skirt.  I left a note on my parent’s dresser to tell them that I left for the surface.  I had the urge to leave my crown, but I took it with me to help me remember what my quest is.

                I swam to where my body could barely stay straight.  I placed my head on the surface.  I waited for a while and realized what my dad said was true; I tried to get my whole body to come up out of the water, and as I was coming out of the water, my mermaid tail disappeared!  I saw two limbs that I had never seen before.  I stood up and realized that these limbs are going to help me move.

                I took my first step and realized that it wasn’t hard.  I immediately remembered the clothes and put my shirt and skirt on.  I walked up and down the beach until I found a person.

                “Excuse me, but, where is the closest place to buy items at?” I asked.

                “A shop?  It’s a mile that way,” she pointed out to me.

                “Thank-you.”

                Speaking (apparently) came naturally also.  I walked up to a place that had these long boards standing against each other.  It had a help wanted sign on the door.  I think I can pass as a human so easily being able to do what they can do.  I walked in the store and ran into someone.  We fell, and I landed on him.

                “What were you trying to do, kill me?”  He asked not looking at me.

                “I’m so sorry; I didn’t mean to, I was hoping to get a job here.”  I said standing up.

                The guy stood up and looked at me.

                “I’m sorry but why are you staring at me?”  I asked.

                “Oh, nothing, it’s just … are you new here?”

                “Umm… Yea, I was just wondering if I can get a job.”

© 2012 deepblue04


Author's Note

deepblue04
this isn't done yet, but tell me what you think and if it's realistic

My Review

Would you like to review this Story?
Login | Register




Reviews

I think this is cute and refreshing but you need to show not tell. You have talent, clearly, and a good imagination, but, the story needs to be reworked. Great story, though. Rewrite it...you won't be sorry! Good luck!

Posted 11 Years Ago


I'm interested :) please write more soon

Posted 11 Years Ago



Share This
Email
Facebook
Twitter
Request Read Request
Add to Library My Library
Subscribe Subscribe


Stats

189 Views
2 Reviews
Rating
Added on June 26, 2012
Last Updated on June 26, 2012

Author

deepblue04
deepblue04

DeRidder, LA



About
Hi! My name is Susan. I love reading and writing poetry! I will accept any friend request and will review any type of writing. I like to listen to k-pop/rock, rock. Blue is my favorite color. M.. more..

Writing
Winter Winter

A Poem by deepblue04


That one day That one day

A Chapter by deepblue04