beautifully ugly

beautifully ugly

A Poem by Anika

I sat on the roof, in my favourite pair of sweatpants, and a sweater that was green like broccoli. The night was still young and stars were starting to make their appearance, like dancers walking onto a stage, with an audience watching. In my mind, stars danced when they twinkled. 

I began to wonder how many people were watching the universe as I was, and if it made them feel quite as free as it made me. 

More than a million, I bet. That was what I liked, the idea of other people alone... or not alone, on a roof as I was; staring at the universe above them, with me, but at a different time and place. I liked that the world was so big.


I thought of you, something I hadn’t done in a while. But the rare times I thought of you, I really thought of you. 

I thought about how you had stars in your eyes; and moonlight shining through the cracks of your black heart. When I thought of you, the tiny bumps that covered my skin went away, and I stopped shaking. You showed me that one person could hold a universe within the walls of their soul; the one I saw in you was beautifully ugly. 

You had habits that pissed me off, more than you probably knew. 

You were cold

distant 

hard to understand 

And you hurt me often. 

But you were an exciting idea; a mystery to solve, adventurous; somehow too caring for your own good. 

You loved deeply, but you were oblivious to it. I wasn’t. 

I wanted to see more of the universe you held. It was more interesting than the one above me. Filled with constellations I couldn’t imagine, and planets no one knew about. My god, it took your breath away. The stars in your eyes were captivating; a lot of them were dim, and I wondered why. 


Slowly, I figured you out;

one star at a time. 

Eventually I knew constellations about you. But you were still a mystery. 

You were still hard to understand, a pain in the a*s, and I loved the challenge. 

 

I loved it so much, I started loving you. 

© 2015 Anika


My Review

Would you like to review this Poem?
Login | Register




Reviews

....you can't always get what you want, you get what you need...stones...to love someone even though there walls are thick can bring down those walls, brick by brick, nice poem! :)

Posted 8 Years Ago


Anika

8 Years Ago

once again, thank you:) the way you describe and understand things is amazing
terry smith

8 Years Ago

Glad you think so :)

Share This
Email
Facebook
Twitter
Request Read Request
Add to Library My Library
Subscribe Subscribe


Stats

105 Views
1 Review
Rating
Added on September 22, 2015
Last Updated on October 12, 2015
Tags: universe, roof, stars, night, sweatpants, love, bad habits, distant, hurt, mystery

Author

Anika
Anika

Toronto, ON



About
I'm Anika, some people call me niki/nika but I personally don't mind anything. I'm looking forward to reading the work of other writers on this site:) I love writing, reading and playing guitar. I.. more..

Writing
touch touch

A Poem by Anika


page 62 page 62

A Chapter by Anika