Foolish Pride

Foolish Pride

A Poem by Tate Morgan
"

What frail creatures we men are; made from sinew, muscle and pride.

"

 


 

What frail creatures we men are

made from sinew, muscle and pride

Thinking we can conquer the world

for the woman who sits by our side


 

All is brash, gall and bravado

with such a carefree debonair

Taunting those who test our mettle

intimidating all who dare


 

A young man thinks himself gifted

to hold sway and folly so near

Injure his pride and you will find

that he becomes someone to fear


 

A man is nothing without pride

it is the food that feeds his soul

Desired respect of fellows

becomes his sole life’s aim and goal


 

The handsome woman of his dreams

is she that realizes this flaw

Playing to his strength and weakness

by pretending she never saw


 

To that woman he grants comfort

strong arms forever hold her tight

Their truth of heart is not broken

whenever she is out of sight


 

The reason men are unfaithful

they behave only by your side

Has little to do with temper

and everything to do with pride


 

If you wish for a happy home

a man who's strait forward and true

Then play host to his foolish pride

and he will be loyal to you

 


Click on book to gain access to My Immortal Soul


© 2021 Tate Morgan


Author's Note

Tate Morgan
It is almost comical to me just how naive we men are about our own weakness. So I wrote this for the women to understand what it is that drives men. For the men this is no surprise it is what men are taught from cradle to the grave.

My Review

Would you like to review this Poem?
Login | Register




Featured Review

Most enjoyable. Simple but great wisdom. I confess I am full of P. I agree it can be a flaw, but it is also perhaps what makes us exciting, what drives us on. Cruel Life demands that we win, win, win. Maybe pride is a sort of oil in our cogs. What are we without it? As ever balance is all though. Too little and we are inert, too much and we are insufferable.

Posted 14 Years Ago


2 of 2 people found this review constructive.




Reviews

I like you poem very much, but my criticism remains as I've mentioned before: your punctuation wrongly placed detracts from the poem. You might try writing some poems without any punctuation and let me look at it. Some poets think punctuation doesn't matter and errors are fine, but I am not one of those poets. Please don't think I am being unnecessarily harsh, but punctuation marks mean something. A period closes a thought, a comma pauses, a semicolon connects ideas, etc. You can't put a period in the middle of a sentence!

Posted 14 Years Ago


1 of 1 people found this review constructive.

Dear Tate,

First let me say this is a wonderfully executed poem. Great meter. Great rhyme. Wonderfully written. On that, highest marks. We may quibble with content, but technically the poem is excellent. There is even teasing humor pouring through the piece. So that said, let's move to the poem's content.

Ah, men's pride. First, why do men have pride, why do they fight and try to outdo the other guy? Well the roots are probably biological. If we don't beat the other guy, he gets the food, he gets the girl, he gets whatever he can take from you. So it has historically been important to be competitive, and that is how fathers raised sons. Hence pride.

Now are men all the way you depict? Well as has been said by other reviewers, everyone is a bit different. And, of course, any single individual cannot speak for all others. They simply haven't lived in their shoes and seen the world through their eyes. So let me speak for myself as a man. Am I prideful? Well I'm proud of what I have accomplished and I am certainly very competitive. But I think I can say that I am not boastful. I find that in poor taste. I also do not need people to remind me of what I have done and to tell me how wonderful I am. In fact too much of that starts to annoy me. I am myself my most important critic. If I am happy with some particular accomplishment that is generally good enough for me. Indeed, if others disagree and say instead that this particular accomplishment is minor or of no worth, I am quite likely to form the opinion that this person simply doesn't know what they are talking about. I guess that's self-confidence. So would a woman that feeds my pride be especially attractive to me? I'd have to say the answer to this is no. Her personality, honesty, and other qualities are really what's important, at least to me. And if I cheated on my wife, it would have nothing to do with pride. Lust, maybe, but not pride. In fact my opinion of myself would go down and negatively affect my pride.

So finally, from one proud man to another, this is a wonderful poem and it is certainly one of which you can be proud!

My very best regards,

Rick

Posted 14 Years Ago


1 of 1 people found this review constructive.

This is wonderfully written.
I enjoyed reading this.

Posted 14 Years Ago


Well Tate all I can say is Pride is a terrible thing,not all is relative and all is differing with perspective.

Love your work man.

Your heart is warm and your work is welcomed.

Thank you for inviting me to read this great poem.

Peace

WM Melvin

Posted 14 Years Ago


1 of 1 people found this review constructive.

Whoaa! This is stunning. The first stanza really grabbed me in, it was lovely. Pride is something men and women should always have. This was constructed very nicely.

Posted 14 Years Ago


This is amazing, no doubt about it.
The last two stanzas were the icing for this, they made the poem feel so true and real.
Great job on this one Tate.
~Domo~

Posted 14 Years Ago


Pride be it male or female is only Ego in control. when we can release hat and live by our concious(souls) then we are truly living.
this is a well written poem and you definitely made some very valid points.

written so nicely as all of your pieces are written. thank you for sharing this, Tate.


Posted 14 Years Ago


1 of 1 people found this review constructive.

Men are such strange creatures. Bless the bluster and bravado though. What would life be without the muscle and sinew. The pride that puffs a man up when he looks with love on that one of the fairer sex who melts his heart.

Posted 14 Years Ago


The reason men are unfaithful;
why they only behave by her side.
Has little to do with temper;
and everything to do with pride.

If you wish for a happy home;
a man who's strait forward and true.
Then play host to his foolish pride;
and he will stay true to you.

These are some amazing lines here, I like this.
But I wouldn't call it pride. I would just call it
something that he can't speak.
I like this alot. You have expressed such wonderful
emotion in this write. Very wonderful write here.
You speak from the heart.

Posted 14 Years Ago


You constructed this very well, and how you worded it was brillant.

I like your view on this subject.

Beautiful write.

Posted 14 Years Ago



Share This
Email
Facebook
Twitter
Request Read Request
Add to Library My Library
Subscribe Subscribe


Stats

6283 Views
127 Reviews
Shelved in 7 Libraries
Added on November 30, 2009
Last Updated on May 16, 2021
Tags: poetry, Life, Sad, adventure, mystery, pain, poem, romance, story, death, fantasy, fiction, heart, love

Author

Tate Morgan
Tate Morgan

Marion , OH



About
Available from Amazon XXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXX I am a product of the Midwest. Raised on the plain states of North America. I was nurtured on a .. more..

Writing
Pain Pain

A Poem by Tate Morgan


Memories Memories

A Poem by Tate Morgan



Related Writing

People who liked this story also liked..