Poetry

Poetry

A Poem by Tate Morgan
"

Poetry and I laughed to see what with her beauty she had done We sat under an umbrella while we both waited for the sun

"


Poetry had once walked with me

held to my heart when I was sad

Helped me mend from the pain I penned

brought comfort to sorrows I had

 

Poetry watched my heart shiver

gave me a blanket for the cold

Held my head while lying in bed

made me wish to live to be old

 

Poetry then danced the night away

to entertain this sullen heart

Both cried to the tale, I tried

from life's wisdom she did impart

 

Poetry was my only friend

as rain poured upon hallowed dreams

Lessened the toll on my soul

lent me comfort or so it seems

 

Poetry offered me her hand

as we danced around the pouring rain

Washing away in just one day

what poison wreaked from months of pain

 

Poetry and I laughed to see

what with her beauty she had done

We sat under an umbrella

while we both waited for the sun

 

 


 


copyright 1/10/2010


© 2020 Tate Morgan


Author's Note

Tate Morgan
My darkest days were comforted by the poetry they inspired.
One of my favorite poems is this one. It tells the tale of how pain is so relative to our age and circumstance
Softened by Time's consummate plush,
by Emily Dickinson

Softened by Time's consummate plush,
How sleek the woe appears
That threatened childhood's citadel
And undermined the years.

Bisected now, by bleaker griefs,
We envy the despair
That devastated childhood's realm,
So easy to repair.

My Review

Would you like to review this Poem?
Login | Register




Featured Review

Such a strong dictation of what poetry means to those who create it. Completely the truth, the comfort and joy of such a thing that we may give birth to that shall never judge us, ever. In a world where nothing makes sense, we can create a map through our words and be cradled by our emotions. Bravo!

Posted 12 Years Ago


1 of 1 people found this review constructive.




Reviews

This is a very good poem about the value of poetry in one's life. The theme is tight - poetry leads the poet through some dark times and celebrates with him in the last stanza. I'm not crazy about the 'hads' in two places (had once walked, had offered me) - although I suspect you use 'had' for purposes of meter, it causes a verb tense change that I find distracting, The rhyming sequence is very good with little distortion of sentence structure to accomplish rhyme. The meter hits its stride in stanzas 5 & 6 - stanza 5 is my favorite. The coversational style of stanza four (or so it seems) works well and brings the poem down to earth.
Good work and much praise from here.

Posted 14 Years Ago


Poetry is one of the best ways to relieve stress. Keep at it.

Posted 14 Years Ago


OMG Tate, this was an amazing, beautiful and inspiring poem. It touched my heart to read this outpouring of your gentle heart. I loved it so much that it is going into my favorites! Bravo my friend!

Posted 14 Years Ago


[send message][befriend] Subscribe
Bud
And it shall always comfort a wayward soul given to the darkness of the forest root cellars that bound our souls when confronted with loneliness's pain whipped upon our backs. You have done very well, Tate. Congratulations on your new found freedom from lonely sorrows, my friend! Magnificent.

Posted 14 Years Ago


Very impressive. Poetry helped me through some very very dark days that I went through. Poetry was for me then just as you describe in your poem. I really really like this one a whole lot! Excellent job, I say.

Posted 14 Years Ago


Dear Mr. Morgan,

It honestly touches my heart when people send anything personal to me; more than just a read request but a letter. As a writer, reviewer, and reader: I feel humbled to have the honor to read and review this piece. Songs have inspired many poems for me in the past so I can feel where you're coming from in this poem. I like to listen to the song once and then re-listen to as I'm going through. Your words give honor to the wonderful vessel of words: the collaboration of heart and soul, Poetry. I'd quote the entire thing as my favorite lines, but I really liked these beginning words, "Poetry had once walked with me to hold my heart as I was sad saw me mend when just pain I penned brought comfort to sorrows I had." Word usage is proper, flow is perfect, rhyme is on key, the topic is impressive; as far as grammatical errors, I could find nothing... not even redundant words. Of course, I'm not much of a critic when it comes to grammar. This is an impressive performance and gives honor to you. (p.s. Sorry if I seem like I'm "sucking up," but I view everything I do honestly and if I don't like something, I'm usually blunt about it. I really didn't find anything wrong with this.) The only part of this poem I'd probably change is in the fourth stanza, fourth line could be, "Lent me a comforter or so it seems." That's at least... how I'd word it. It's a matter of opinion. Kudos. 10/10.

Sincerely,
S. W. Scaggs

Posted 14 Years Ago


4 of 5 people found this review constructive.


15
next Next Page
last Last Page
Share This
Email
Facebook
Twitter
Request Read Request
Add to Library My Library
Subscribe Subscribe


Stats

7989 Views
146 Reviews
Shelved in 21 Libraries
Added on February 7, 2010
Last Updated on October 26, 2020
Tags: Poetry, Life, Sad, adventure, mystery, pain, poem, romance, story, death, fantasy, fiction, heart, love

Author

Tate Morgan
Tate Morgan

Marion , OH



About
Available from Amazon XXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXX I am a product of the Midwest. Raised on the plain states of North America. I was nurtured on a .. more..

Writing
Pain Pain

A Poem by Tate Morgan


Memories Memories

A Poem by Tate Morgan



Related Writing

People who liked this story also liked..


Change Change

A Poem by Soren


Helena Helena

A Poem by Tate Morgan