Unexpected II

Unexpected II

A Chapter by arlery

  He handed me a small black diary that looked exactly like the one my grandfather had given meI opened it, and instantly recognized the writing on it. It said               

      

                 " Your children are not your children.

                    They are the sons and daughters of Life'longing for itself.

                   They come through you but not from you,

                  And though they are with you, yet they belong not to you.

                  You may give them your love but not your thoughts. 
                   For they have their own thoughts. 
                   You may house their bodies but not their souls, 
                   For their souls dwell in the house of tomorrow,

                    which you cannot visit, not even in your dreams."

                                    

          and below that, 

                       For my darling Alexandra

 My grandfather was passionate about poetry and these were some verses from his all time favorite poem Children. Now I could go on and on saying why this diary is important to me, but I'll spare the details for now and summarize it by saying it's important because my late grandfather gave it to me.
"Yeah it's mine, thanks" I replied smiling.
"You dropped it in your hurry to catch the train, but seeing that you're still here, I assume you missed it?" he asked
"You assumed right" I agreed woefully.
"Where were you going anyways?"
"Carney"
He chuckled.
"Why in the world would you want to go there"
"I don't see how that's any of your business" I replied and walked away.
But soon enough, I heard footsteps. I guess he wasn't going to leave me alone. But right now I didn't have time to waste on him. I had other things on my mind, the most important of which was calling my sister.
 I looked at my mobile, and dialed  my sister's number.
" Grace?"
"Hey Alex, what's up"
"Nothing really, except there's a little problem" I replied meekly, because I know she was going to get frantic now.
"What happened?" she asked suspiciously.
"Remember I told you I was going to come by train? Yeah, well see there's been a little problem"
She didn't say anything, so I continued.
"Well there was like this major accident on the road, no casualties I guess, but anyway, so then there was like this um, like huge traffic jam, and I like got really held up and umm, I like missed the train, so like I'm stuck here, and like I just quit my job, and my phone's battery is like about to be dead, and I like don't know what to do"
I don't think I've ever used "like" so much before, but I was just so nervous.
"ALEXANDRA BRIAN AIDEN..."

.......................

to be continued


© 2011 arlery


My Review

Would you like to review this Chapter?
Login | Register




Reviews

I agree that the chapters are a little short, but you still have my in interest. I will read on. Well done!

Posted 13 Years Ago


In the very last paragraph there were 2 mis-types. "Well there was like a this major accident on th road"
You should take out the "a" and add an "e" to your "th"
Plus to agree with Jim's point the diary wouldn't be vaguely familiar to her if it was a treasured item of hers. She would have recognized it right away.
I'm curious about her middle name as well.
Other than these things it was well done and I look forward to reading more!

~Erinne

Posted 13 Years Ago


Great job! Loved this with the edits and such. I'm thinking this has brought up the rating by at least ten. Maybe fifteen. This made it flow better and got me more interested in this! Love it!

Posted 13 Years Ago


First if, she missed the train, she's still in Houston, Texas right? If so, the guy wouldn't have any clue whre Carney is to respond, she doesn't even tell him what state, There may be a lot of carneys out there. Two I think his initial response would be "You're going to run off to a Carnival?" Since that is the term used for Carnival workers and he would know nothing about a tiny town in Michigan. Also, I too have difficulty with the cross-gender name. I'd love to see you develop the guy into a stalker to add some drama and suspense to your story. Also, your chapters are a little short, I would consider combining them as this one is really and extension of your first chapter.

Posted 13 Years Ago


What to Work On:

Try to avoid repetition. While in poetry this can be a good thing, in stories it tends not to be. Such as when you are talking about the grandfather’s favorite poem, it’s not really necessary to say that it’s by his favorite poet as well because it can frustrate the reader. It takes away the assumption element. If you were told everything, you would feel like the person talking to you thought you were stupid and couldn’t think to yourself. When you reread your stories, take this into account. What doesn’t really need to be there? Another example is the very first sentence of the chapter. Try to take out the second word diary and say something like “…one that looked exactly like…” That’s basically my only helpful hint here.

What I Liked:

Okay, so, I LOVED this chapter. I know you probably thought otherwise because of the previous section, but no. I liked how she kind of blew the guy off but was still cool enough to talk to him when he wouldn’t leave her alone. Until, of course, he started getting all personal. Go Alex! Ha! I honestly can’t get enough of this chapter. It gives a bit of background with her grandfather while also not heading out on a tangent. But my favorite part HAS to be the phone call. Even though I hate the word like in stories, this time it just fit. You go girl, keep it up!

Favorite Line:

"ALEXANDRA BRIAN AIDEN..." Simply put, this is hilarious! I know the sister is getting all mad and such, but it just makes me laugh because I know that I would be doing that to my sister if she missed the only train headed to where I was having my wedding.

I am soooo looking forward to reading on. Wonder where this story is going to take me…

Posted 13 Years Ago


The story is progressing well, and it's obvious you write well, but I have to say that the non-conventional presentation distracts from what could be a really good story. It's okay not to use proper punctuation and capitalization when you are texting, but not in writing a novel. It makes it so much harder on your reader.

One plot line didn't work for me. Your protagonist indicated that the diary was something very important to her (it is a her, right?), but when it was presented to her, she states it looks vaguely familiar. If it was important to her, she would recognize it from a mile away and be ecstatic that it was found.

Lastly, the confusion with gender...she has a female first name but a male middle name. There hasn't been any description of her yet to give us any clue. It seemed she found this guy attractive in his description at the end of the last chapter, but she could be a gay guy. Maybe some type of description to let us know? Maybe in the last chapter? I would love to see more descriptions to show us what she looks like, her surroundings, etc. More detail, please!

I'm curious to see how the diary plays into the rest of your story. I have a feeling it's going to have some importance later on. Looking forward to reading the rest of it!


Posted 13 Years Ago


Nice very captivating .

Posted 13 Years Ago



Share This
Email
Facebook
Twitter
Request Read Request
Add to Library My Library
Subscribe Subscribe


Stats

461 Views
7 Reviews
Rating
Added on December 23, 2010
Last Updated on April 21, 2011


Author

arlery
arlery

About
Sometimes, I just wanna just take up my favorite fantasy book and live in my own fiction world... "I prefer to be dreamer, among the humblest with visions to be realized, rather than lord among tho.. more..

Writing