Letter 1

Letter 1

A Chapter by A. Siemens
"

The first letter from the gryphon keeper

"
3rd Day of the Rainy Season
6th Year of Reign of Amaranth,
The 17th Gryphon Keeper


To Whom It May Concern,

To think of the passage of time as if it's solely linear and as unstoppable as a stampeding elephant would cause me to laugh. For it is as far from such as I am from ever obtaining a stable level of sanity. Sanity happens to be a great enemy of mine for it only produces what has already been invented. Insanity is the realm of the greats, a place where thoughts are created and inventions made. For no one but one who is insane could ever dream of accomplishing what those who are sane deem as impossible.

These letters that I am writing to you, my unknown friend, might very well be the very spawn of my insanity. For some reason, the desire to write letters that detail my life and thoughts spring upon me while, in all places, I was trying to remove the gryphon that clawed at my hair with a vigor that only someone who has never lost the hope of having a great and glorious life. 

So, read my letters if you suddenly have the odd desire to do so (I certainly hope that you don't discover said desire whist having a tiny devil rip out your hair) and learn how not to become a great gryphon keeper, for learning from others mistakes is most definitely better than learning from your own. Onwards now to my undoubtably wonderful thoughts! If such things do exist...

There must have been a time when I was normal, when the noise didn't affect me or cause me to run for the safety of a darkened alleyway. The must have been a time where I had a name and a family who cared for me; a time where I wasn't always alone and didn't have to fight for my own survival. There must have been something else or I wouldn't recognize the absurdity of my own situation.

I often wonder of my family and why I am no longer with them. It really can't be helped since people are always curious of what they do not know. As a girl I faintly recall being submerged in the idea that I was once a princess who was adorned in jewels and beloved by everyone. I would have had both a pet elephant that would carry me around not allowing my feet to touch the ground for even a split second and a striped tiger that would lay at my feet when I went to sleep, guarding me from the evils of the night. I knew, as that little street girl dressed in rags, that I must have lived that life. How could I have been born into this poverty and desperation? 

So, I lived as a runaway princess for many years, a princess who was forced to scrounge in garbage bins for food and cut the clothes off a dead man so I could be warmed, until I grew to realize that I couldn't be the lovely princess I thought I ought to be. To come to such a realization is painful and heartbreaking. It made me give up on myself and caused me to become worthless in my own eyes. Yet I couldn't have lived my entire life in the bubble I had created for myself and the whole process was simply something I had to go through.

At what age I went through this process, I do not know for I am unsure of my own birth year. However I do believe to be after the Naesean wars and before the first attempted murder of Kalajhan's fifty-second king, making me no younger than six according to the diviners. 
Shortly after the first attempted murder of the king, I began to be extremely bothered by noise, and therefore people by default. Instead of spending my days playing with my fellow street children, I choose to hide in dark, secluded alleyways until darkness took over and the noise began to fade. My odd habits did undermine my pickpocketing and stealing, since there were few people to steal from and those that were out late were people that you quickly learned you should not steal from lest you wish to have your head forcefully removed from your body.
Nonetheless, I was able to get by at the expense of many decent people who awoke to find both food and silver missing. On several occasions I barely escaped being found as I crawled out of windows with my dirty pockets filled with day-old bread and clanging bracelets. Fortunately, my love of silence allowed me to blend into the dark shadows. 

Maybe it is that same silence that let me remain faceless and nameless, even to myself, for all those years. I do not regret those years I spent out on the streets living in a prison I crafted myself. I do not regret a single moment in my short life, for regretting even the smallest of moments would allow the darkness that drove the king's fourth son to his murderous ways to enter my own heart. One commits to darkness and evil only to prove their perceived worthiness. However, that worthiness is only an illusion and darkness only vanquishes the true worth of the individual. 

To end this letter, I offer only an obvious piece of advice. Allow your worth not to come from what you possess, whether it be material things or intelligence, but from the acts you preform while using all that you possess. Is someone good because of the pureness of their thoughts or the kindness of their actions?


May the sand fall slowly in your glass
Amaranth, the 17th Gryphon Keeper


© 2012 A. Siemens


Author's Note

A. Siemens
This was the spontaneous letter that I wrote on my iPad when I was bored at a family reunion. It started off as my own personal thoughts, without too much of a back story, but then it merged with a previous idea and voilia! I'm quite fond of it, but let me know what you think. Any suggestions would be appreciated.

My Review

Would you like to review this Chapter?
Login | Register




Featured Review

Hey, I saw your piece and it caught my interest because of the mention of "gryphon." (I love gryphons! XD )

Anyways, I really love your writing style! I also love that this piece is a lot about ideas rather than just plot. I love the letter format and the backstory. As for some suggestions, hmm... Well, I think it could improve a lot if there was something more unique to the character. I loved the specific details about her life on the streets, but while specific, the details should be more unique and personal to her situation. That would make the readers care more and be more interested because we've all heard many different stories about poverty and such.

Also, if you plan on continuing with this story, you should end it with something that would really pique the the reader's curiosity; that is, if you're interested in getting the readers to keep reading. Not such a big deal if you're just writing for yourself. I love the advice that Amaranth gives at the end. It would be cool to relate it to something on a grander scale, some unique plot point or perhaps a unique part of Amaranth's character.

Anyways, I hope you find this review helpful. Again, I really like your writing! Great job!!! ^^

Posted 11 Years Ago


2 of 2 people found this review constructive.




Reviews

A good taster for what is to come. Well written and makes readers what is to come. A few minor spelling errors and a missing word. But a good into. Better written then some of the other fantasy novels I've been reading lately.

Posted 9 Years Ago


This is outstanding! My first thought was 'hmm, letters. well, how bad can it be?' Well, the answer is not bad in the least! I love this! Please continue this book! I really want to find out what happens to the 17th gryphon keeper, and who her friend she's writing to is! Please write some more soon! I would give this a one hundred milion, but the rating device only lets me go to one hunred. Never mind. You truly deserve a one hundred million for this amazing piece!

Posted 11 Years Ago


A. Siemens

11 Years Ago

Thank you so much! I'm really glad you enjoyed it! :) I'm actually planning on posting a few more to.. read more
Gretchen Clarke

11 Years Ago

Cool!
Hey, I saw your piece and it caught my interest because of the mention of "gryphon." (I love gryphons! XD )

Anyways, I really love your writing style! I also love that this piece is a lot about ideas rather than just plot. I love the letter format and the backstory. As for some suggestions, hmm... Well, I think it could improve a lot if there was something more unique to the character. I loved the specific details about her life on the streets, but while specific, the details should be more unique and personal to her situation. That would make the readers care more and be more interested because we've all heard many different stories about poverty and such.

Also, if you plan on continuing with this story, you should end it with something that would really pique the the reader's curiosity; that is, if you're interested in getting the readers to keep reading. Not such a big deal if you're just writing for yourself. I love the advice that Amaranth gives at the end. It would be cool to relate it to something on a grander scale, some unique plot point or perhaps a unique part of Amaranth's character.

Anyways, I hope you find this review helpful. Again, I really like your writing! Great job!!! ^^

Posted 11 Years Ago


2 of 2 people found this review constructive.


Share This
Email
Facebook
Twitter
Request Read Request
Add to Library My Library
Subscribe Subscribe


Stats

325 Views
3 Reviews
Rating
Shelved in 1 Library
Added on May 16, 2012
Last Updated on July 10, 2012
Tags: gryphon, keeper, letter, asiemens, Amaranth


Author

A. Siemens
A. Siemens

Canada



About
I'm a (currently) unpublished author from Canada. I've been writing since I was very young, and have been making up stories for as long as I can remember. I've recently finished my first full novel, b.. more..

Writing
Letter 2 Letter 2

A Chapter by A. Siemens


Letter 3 Letter 3

A Chapter by A. Siemens