Chapter 2.

Chapter 2.

A Chapter by selfportrait

The news came hours later, from a distraught Liam on the other line. James never in his life though he would get a call from Liam but what he was about to tell him was more than he needed to hear.
“James right? This is Liam; Elisabeth’s uh boyfriend. Listen I just got a call from the hospital and Elisabeth’s hurt, she’s hurt real bad James. She got into an accident on the freeway after we had a disagreement. I don’t know what to do.. Can you meet me at the hospital? Camden’s with a friend of mine.” Liam finished up as James sat there a moment phone in hand taking in the words ‘accident’ and ‘hurt bad’. He even forgot that Liam was on the other line until a cough woke him back up.
“Yeah, yeah I’ll meet you at the hospital.” James replied getting the details of where to meet him, and without saying a goodbye he hit end on his phone and pushed it into his pocket. Racing down to his car he headed for the hospital. 
When he arrived at the hospital James took the stairs instead of the elevator to make it to Emergency, and when he opened the door he spotted Liam standing there a cup of coffee in his hand in a small Styrofoam cup. He didn’t look to be grieving or scared but he looked tired and warn out, like he was thinking too much. A 5o’clock shadow was visible on his face, and his eyes down on his coffee. James wondered what was running though his mind, what he was thinking. Walking up beside Liam they said there hello’s and Liam handed him a cup of coffee.
“Here, I didn’t know what you wanted in it.”
“Thanks.”
James replied and took the cup. It was black, just the way he had liked it.
They both sat there for hours, waiting and watching as Doctors walked past them, there heart jumping a little when one came into the waiting room delivering news to other families waiting for news on there sons daughters, or loved ones. News that they didn’t want to hear. Finally after what seemed like days of waiting a Doctor approached them, and both Liam and James looked at each other swallowing hard.
 “Mrs. Radcliffe has taken a harsh beating when her car flipped. She broke two ribs, and hit her head hard. Suffering from a concussion, and she was in a tiny coma for a couple hours. She’s not lucid right now but there should be no memory loss. But she will be fine, I just want to keep her in the hospital for about a week or two to continue monitoring her. “ The doctor finished to explain and it felt as if a huge weight of worry was taken away from both James and Liam.
“Now, she’s asked to see a James? I guess it was the only name she was calling out for inside of the ambulance. Now which one of you may that be?” He asked as James stepped forward cautiously looking back at Liam who had no emotion on his face, and had fallen back onto the black chair. 
Following the Doctor to her room, James thanked him largely as the Doctor left James alone to be with Elisabeth. She was lying there so still. Her tanned skin was taken over by pale white skin cold to the touch. Getting closer to her bed he noticed a few cuts and bruises here, and some stitches there. James swallowed a large lump in his throat as he watched her, pulling up a chair beside the bed he took her hand inside of his and squeezed it lightly not wanting to put her into anymore pain. Slowly her eyes opened, she was groggy from all the drugs they pushed into her. A half smile appeared on her face slowly.

 



© 2008 selfportrait


My Review

Would you like to review this Chapter?
Login | Register




Reviews

[send message][befriend] Subscribe
LSS
You are so bad, you cannot just end that chapter there! If this was a short story, I'd be crying foul and throwing things. You know I have to read your next chapter and if you don't end it properly, I promise you things will fly. By the way: "I'll meet you at the hospital." James replied getting the details of where to meet him", I was waiting to see if you would include this line in the story, too many people would have forgotten this little detail in pressing on with the story. Well done, and keep your head down.
LSS


Posted 15 Years Ago


PLEASE WRITE MORE !
I need to know what happens. stop whatever you're doing right now and write more!

Posted 15 Years Ago



Share This
Email
Facebook
Twitter
Request Read Request
Add to Library My Library
Subscribe Subscribe

FREE author website
Authors are creating beautiful personal websites with Myauthor.space for FREE! Try us before you spend $1000s of dollars
Know That I Too
We are never alone (a poem for mental health month)

Stats

150 Views
2 Reviews
Rating
Added on November 20, 2008


Author

selfportrait
selfportrait

Welland, Canada



About
I never finish everything I write. But I want to change that. I'm 17, happy with life. No need to change a thing. more..

Writing
Chapter 1. Chapter 1.

A Chapter by selfportrait





Compartment 114
Compartment 114
Love Me Not
1986, Penny Herrera falls into the predatory clutches of Matt, an older man who has no other intention than to alter Pen