Epilogue

Epilogue

A Chapter by A. L. Allen
"

Guess what book this is for. :P

"

                “Aiden!” I yelled, cupping my hands to my mouth. “Aiden!”

                There was no answer, and my arms dropped to my side in defeat. Bri and Adam were still calling for Aiden at the top of their lungs, scanning and searching what seemed to be the entire island as they tried to find her. Adam’s cheek was beginning to swell and bruise from when Aiden had punched him, and Bri’s arms and part of her face were covered with scratches from Aiden’s fingernails; but they were still looking for her with all the energy they still had. It spoke volumes for how loyal and forgiving they were.

                Mist from the ocean curled around us and blanketed the ground, masking the island in gloom, just as we were. The sky was overcast, and thunder rumbled in the distance.

I half-heartedly called Aiden’s name again, but I was getting the sinking feeling that she was already gone, out to seek her revenge. Time could only tell what that would hold in store for the rest of us. I called one more time, my voice tired and worn. I massaged my temples and then crossed my arms, rubbing them in order to coax warmth back into them.

“Guys.” I finally called, letting my arms fall to my sides again.

Bri and Adam spun around, their eyes wide and hopeful. I sighed and shook my head.

“She’s not here.” I told them numbly. “We should head back and take care of Alec.”

Adam nodded sadly as his shoulders slumped. His head drooped, and I could tell that he was holding back tears. I knew how he felt; I was dying on the inside. Bri put a comforting arm around the fifteen-year-old’s shoulders and led him away. I plodded along behind them, my footsteps heavy and depressed. Our footsteps were the only sound as we trekked back; even the waves seemed to be more quiet than usual.

After a while of total silence, Bri looked back at me and said quietly “I’m going to take Adam back to camp. He’s had a long day.”

I managed a thin smile and nodded my understanding “We all have.”

As soon as those words left my mouth, the handprints that had been seared onto my back began to throb, reminding me of exactly how long and draining the past twelve hours had been. I must’ve been grimacing, because Bri was staring at me with concern.

“Dylan, are you okay?” She asked me worriedly “They didn’t hurt you, did they?”

I waved my hand dismissively, even as it sent more pain shooting through my body. I hadn’t told them yet exactly what had happened when I had been captured by Talon, and I wasn’t about to get their pity now by letting them know. That wouldn’t be fair to Alec, who deserved to have their sorrow after he had died saving my life.

“I’m fine.” I told Bri offhandedly “Don’t worry about me. Take Adam back, I’ll meet you later.”

She nodded and gently steered Adam back to the camp. I exhaled slowly and trudged away in the opposite direction; out towards the beach. Guilt crashed over me just like the waves over the sand as Alec’s body began to come into view through the gray mist. I had under-estimated him this whole time. I hadn’t even tried to trust him, and he had to die for me before I finally saw that his intentions were good. It made me sick to my stomach. Aiden wished that I had died instead of Alec, and I couldn’t help agreeing with her. I felt like the world’s biggest rat, and that was a major understatement.

When I came closer to Alec’s body as he laid there peacefully in the sand, the waves gently lapping at his side, I noticed a small figure crouching next to him.

“Hey!” I called in alarm “What are you doing?”

The person slowly stood up, wiping at his eyes. “Nothing.” He mumbled quietly, staring at his shoelaces.

My features hardened when I recognized who he was. Even though his dark hair was matted down with sweat, and his face was smeared with grime, I could still pick him out as one of the hostile Elemental’s. The waves began to crash more persistently against the shore as anger simmered inside me. This kid was part of the reason I had been captured and Alec had died.

“Look kid.” I growled menacingly “I don’t know exactly who you are, but you better get off this island right now. I don’t want to see you around here again; or else I might have to do something drastic. Understand?” As soon as those words came out of my mouth, I felt even more guilty. I knew I had sounded pretty harsh, and he looked, after all, only about fourteen or fifteen.  Still, it was probably better for his health if he wasn’t around Bri, Adam and I while we were all so tight and worried.

The kid nodded and turned away as a single tear slipped out of his bright green eyes. As he walked sadly away and disappeared into the mist, his head drooping and his feet shuffling despondently in the sand, I couldn’t help feeling that I would see him in the near future. Shaking my head at this bizarre thought, I used the ocean water to gently carry Alec’s body farther inland so that he wouldn’t be swept away by the incoming tide.

I fashioned a make-shift shovel out of the surrounding foliage and dug the head deep into the soil, bringing out a large scoop and depositing it to the side. I continued to dig up the dirt, my thoughts far away. My movements became more fluid as I got into the groove of the work, and soon I had a decent grave. Turning back to Alec’s body, I took a deep breath and called some of the surrounding water to me. My movements flowing seamlessly with my thoughts, the water began to encircle the prone body, slowly spinning faster and faster around it until it completely encased it. The water hardened until it gleamed like diamonds, despite the lack of sunlight. I felt slightly like Eragon as I stared at Alec encased in that forever frozen water, and I went up and brushed my hands along the surface of it.

“Thank you, Alec.” I said quietly before using more water to move the frozen casket into the open grave. I dug the large mound of soil back into the hole, and then found a sturdy rock that I lugged to the top of the grave. Sitting cross-legged in front of it, I used a small bit of water and etched these words into the gray stone.

 

Alec

1991-2012

Here lies a good man

A true friend to the end

Thank you, dear friend

For the wonderful sacrifices you made for us

You will always be remembered.

 



© 2012 A. L. Allen


Author's Note

A. L. Allen
This epilogue is for a current book that I have up here, but I'm nowhere near the end, so I put this here. Can you guess which book this is from? If you can, you get extra cookies from me. :)

I'm trying to coordinate this with another book that my cousin is writing, so some things may not make sense right now, but hopefully, when all of this is finished, it'll all come together. :P

Enjoy!

My Review

Would you like to review this Chapter?
Login | Register




Reviews

This sounds great!! I love, as usual, your amazing description that you always have:)
ANother brilliant write!

Posted 12 Years Ago


Within two paragraphs you have set the scene, tempered the mood, and put in some real good exposition. Not bad going!

Then you show yourself as the master of emotions, you have great talent in this area.

The timing and pacing in your write is perfect with no jarring.
The way you described the water around the body was excellent, it was then I remembered I had read this somewhere before, but my short term memory sucks. Sorry. Anyway, Great work...thanks.

Posted 12 Years Ago


Amazing job, but really confusing. I do hope you clear up some of the idea's stated in this, you probably will, and you intrigue me with the thoughts of the idea's that you may have in stock.
Keep me updated, please.

Posted 12 Years Ago


I am intrigued as usual Dearie. You are a masterful storyteller, it is however, a bit maddening when it's all out of order:) Keep up the fantastic writing my friend!

Posted 12 Years Ago


great write, but i couldnt concentrate properley because of you saying we had to guess which story. When having such spaces between reviews i do, and so many different writers, my head was all over trying to place this. so you dont get comments on how well this piece was written because i didnt stop to pause and comment like usual. Anyway the whole piece was dramatic, flowed well and seemed interesting. Thanks.

Posted 12 Years Ago


Hi A. L. Allen,

I hope everything works out for you! Also, writing the ending before the beginning seems pretty ingenious. I might adopt that strategy. Usually I start with the beginning than get bogged down when it comes to the end (and sometimes quit altogether).

Anyway I loved the imagery in your piece and even though I was a little confused you've also got me interested in the story. You've definitely taught me a thing or two.

-Desiree Brown

Posted 12 Years Ago


Yay! I love it already!!

Posted 12 Years Ago


Woah, you're writing the ending before the beginning? You are one coordinated person Ally. Me? I'm all over the place. :P This is a really great chapter once again. Of course I am confused but that's because I have no idea what's going on, lol. This elemental's book is going to be the next big thang. :)

Posted 12 Years Ago


this is from the elementals isn't it? I hope I guessed right. I saw the name on the top "Aiden" and that's what I thought. But to comment on the writing....I must read the whole thing first. So wait for me please. :)

Posted 12 Years Ago


is that one with the four elements? or something?
o.o I can't remember reading anything with this in it.

anywho....
It was amazing write, a tad confusing but the good kind. it made me want to know more about their situation here.
Over all, another great write Ally ^-^

Posted 12 Years Ago



Share This
Email
Facebook
Twitter
Request Read Request
Add to Library My Library
Subscribe Subscribe


Stats

423 Views
10 Reviews
Rating
Added on February 21, 2012
Last Updated on February 21, 2012


Author

A. L. Allen
A. L. Allen

Logan , UT



About
Welcome! I have had a lifetime passion for writing. I started when my father introduced me to the wonders of Microsoft Word on a dinosaur of a computer, and haven't stopped since. I have attempted .. more..

Writing
Prologue Prologue

A Chapter by A. L. Allen



Related Writing

People who liked this story also liked..


What If? What If?

A Chapter by A. L. Allen