Twig

Twig

A Story by Laura E. Aranda
"

This is in response to Maggi giving Me a twig one evening this week as we sat out under the trees in my backyard and enjoyed the glorious weather.

"

You were once part of a live oak tree.

Swaying and dancing in the wind with all the others like you.

Being one with the mighty tree so many stopped to admire.

Yet hidden and never noticed.....

 

When did it happen?

The start of separation?

Who noticed the first brown hint of death coloring your fragile limb?

You didn't decide for yourself that it was time to break away and die.

 

No one ever wants to lie on the ground

Under the very activity from which they were once a part.

But there you are, Little Twig

Dead now, completely brown, shriveled 

 

The only sound of music that emanates from you is the 'crunch' of your pathetic leaves

As an unnoticing bypasser steps on your core

No life will ever be breathed back into you

No, it will never be possible for you to take root and germinate

 

Oh! What's that?

A little girl, no more than an innocent toddler

Has picked you up and presented you as a gift to her mother.

Oh my! Little Twig, I never knew- you are worth more than five hundred dozen roses right now.

 

Look! Everyone- can you see the imagination unfettered in the little girl's eyes?

She doesn't know the words 'death', 'dead', or 'ugly'.

Gaze into the warm eyes of the mother now as she recieves the gift from her baby.

She wouldn't accept any amount of francs for her daughter's gift.

 

Little Twig, you are mightier than the shady towering oak above you

For, in your last moments you became a sincere gift of love

Spanning generations, time, words unspoken

And becoming forever locked into another's memories

© 2008 Laura E. Aranda


Author's Note

Laura E. Aranda
9/8/08


My Review

Would you like to review this Story?
Login | Register




Reviews

This one actually made me sad, laugh and smile and then smile some more.You did such a great job that I think I'll come back to this one when I'm feeling kind eh-like..lol..

Posted 15 Years Ago


1 of 1 people found this review constructive.

Interesting topic... it's similar to some my recent writes. I can definately relate. My recent focus has been on those things cast away. There's many lessons to be learned by them. Your poem seems a little rough around the edges, probably written soon after Mr. Twig was given to you. It could use some massaging of the words and flow, but your premise is right on and a homerun with me.

I just wish one of my little ones would have brought me Little Twig first :)

You've got something special here. If you want to read some of my similar stuff check out, "Broken Red Wagon" and "This Particular Weed". I think you'll agree the premise is similar.

Good job Laura!

Posted 15 Years Ago


What a beautiful moment with your child.......sharing brings joy to all who read........I smile as I reflect on such fond memories with my children...........cherished gifts indeed. Thank you my friend.....

Peace,

Bill :-)

Posted 15 Years Ago


Oh wow,
I loved this. I don't know anything about poetry and if i actually was forced to sit down and write some i would probably develop a tumor in the frontal lobe area, but i can see that your words mean so much more than what is written and I'm pretty sure that is what poetry is suppose to be about.

Posted 15 Years Ago


Dear Laura,

Perspective is all. There is no meaning without it. And with it the smallest can be the most important. This you have captured. It is true in all things. It is what we are all about. It is our perspective that organizes our lives and our loves. I have been often questioned by my wife as to why I forget so many things and remember others in such detail. The answer is I remember what is important to me and forget the rest. In truth, I only see what is important to me and the rest is invisible.

Kindest regards,

Rick

Posted 15 Years Ago


I have never seen words removed like 'death', 'dead', or 'ugly' in ANY poem, yet they bring such

more emphasis to your words. This is a nice poem. Cheers, by the way!

Posted 15 Years Ago


Fine write Laura,

It reminds us that it is not always the pretty , shining things that are the greatest gifts.
It indeed is the gift of love.

Dee

Posted 15 Years Ago


Good job, you made me feel sorry for a twig...

Posted 15 Years Ago



Share This
Email
Facebook
Twitter
Request Read Request
Add to Library My Library
Subscribe Subscribe


Stats

134 Views
8 Reviews
Rating
Shelved in 1 Library
Added on September 10, 2008
Last Updated on October 1, 2008

Author

Laura E. Aranda
Laura E. Aranda

TX



About
Out beyond ideas of wrongdoing and rightdoing there is a field. I'll meet you there. Rumi You can't wake a person who is pretending to be asleep. ~Navajo Proverb One of my favorite po.. more..

Writing

Related Writing

People who liked this story also liked..