Chapter 5

Chapter 5

A Chapter by bailish

The rest of that evening, Phet obediently followed her mother's commands.  She straightened up the hut, cleaned and fed the chickens, and even collected enough firewood for the next day's cooking.  Her mother noticed that Phet was doing all the work, but that the normal childhood enthusiasm had gone out of her.  She was afraid that she had killed something innocent within her daughter that she should keep for a few more years.  So the next morning, when Phet woke up, her mother told her that she could stay home and play all day.  But even this news did little to cheer her up.

Later that morning, Phet went to see if she was banished from the cave, but when she reached the border, there were two lines of soldiers -- one Thai and one Kampuchean -- preventing her from approaching the temple.  She turned around, dejected.  But suddenly she saw the insect that she had led her to the cave in the first place, but hadn't seen in quite a while.  It was fluttering around, flitting here and there, as it had before.  It seemed to be urging her to follow.  And so, of course, little Phet obediently followed it, feeling a twinge of hope.  The insect finally landed nearby on a small opening in the ground that Phet hadn't noticed before.  When she looked closely, she saw that it was a modern sewage line that had recently been installed, but had yet to be connected.  The insect flew inside, and she followed.  Although she had to hunch over to fit, it was large enough for her to walk.

As they got away from the opening, the path grew darker, and now Phet could see that the insect glowed brightly, so brightly in fact that it shone the path ahead.  Phet wasn't the least bit scared, as this was just another adventure for her, giving her hope that she could still be a part of the magic.  She didn't have to go very far at all before she could see a light at the other end of the tunnel.  As she got close to the opening, she could hear people talking outside, so she remained inside, concealed for a while.

A small group of men outside were talking about a construction project.  Phet didn't understand what they were talking about, since she had no understanding of politics.  One man, obviously the leader, was dressed in a dress shirt and tie, while the other men all had on old worn-out clothes, some carrying tools.

"I'm sorry to tell this to all of you," started the leader, "but this construction project is the center of the controversy.  It seems that the Kampuchean government is insisting that we stop all work until it can be determined which country has a right to develop this temple for tourism.  Yesterday, UNESCO agreed to list this temple as a World Heritage Site, and the Thai government has disputed that decision.  As a result, this contract has been cancelled.  There is no further work for you.  Good bye."

Little Phet didn't understand their meaning, not even what they were talking about.  She was fixated on the goal of the cave.



© 2008 bailish


My Review

Would you like to review this Chapter?
Login | Register




Reviews

Money, greed and politics, too much for a little girl to understand!

Posted 15 Years Ago


1 of 1 people found this review constructive.


Share This
Email
Facebook
Twitter
Request Read Request
Add to Library My Library
Subscribe Subscribe


Stats

216 Views
1 Review
Rating
Added on July 25, 2008
Last Updated on July 29, 2008


Author

bailish
bailish

You've seen one polluted city, you've seen them all., Thailand



About
I want to be a writer, just like you. My goal is to write 10 pages a day. I often fall short, but I just try harder the next day. more..

Writing
Let's play! Let's play!

A Poem by bailish