Chapter Fourteen

Chapter Fourteen

A Chapter by Ben Mariner
"

Hero's Call: Chapter Fourteen

"

It was just too much delay for Captain Amazing’s liking. Someone had finally beaten the Dreadnaught Virus and their Hero Gene had activated. It was the first time in decades, and it was his own great-grandson. If he was a younger man, he’d have jumped for joy, but his body wouldn’t allow him such celebratory gestures any more so he’d have to be satisfied with the bear hug Milo had given him that about broke him in half. There was no time to waste. Everyone else in the room might not have realized, but Captain Amazing had done a lot of thinking over the last few days and he’d come to a conclusion he was pretty certain was correct. Whoever had designed the virus had made a mistake somewhere. That’s what allowed Milo’s Hero Gene to fight through it. But if one person’s gene could activate, then others’ could as well. The more that did, the more likely there were going to be Villains popping up. Milo had to get trained up, or he’d be in serious trouble.

But all they were doing was waiting. It had been a long time since Captain Amazing had seen one of the An’Fari on Earth. He hadn’t thought they would send one of their Acolytes for the occasion, but apparently they were just as worried about the Dreadnaught Virus’s effects as the people of Earth were. Once Seven had arrived, Brooke wanted to call her husband and get him home as quickly as possible. She insisted that any discussion wait until he’d arrived. Everyone but Captain Amazing seemed to think it was a good idea, so he had no choice but to wait. Milo wanted to call Bill as well, but, wisely, his mother insisted it just be family. Captain Amazing could tell his great-grandson was anxious to tell his friends, but he’d have to wait. There were things that needed tending to.

Once Milo’s father, Barton Radcliff, finally made his way home from the office, the discussion got underway. The five of them were circled around the kitchen table. Seven was at the head of the table. Captain Amazing was to his right and Brooke to his left. Barton was next to Brook and Milo next to Captain Amazing. The sun was now setting and the small hanging lamp above the table bathed them all in a homey, warm light.

“I would like to start,” Seven began, “by saying how pleased I, and the entire An’Fari people, are to find that Milo’s Hero Gene has activated. It has been a very worrisome time for my people. We feared for the fate of Earth and its people. The Council will be most pleased to hear that it is one from so great a line of Heroes. They will be informed of our discussion tonight as soon as it has concluded. I am more than happy to answer any questions any of you have about the changes Milo is going through.”

“Obviously, we’re a little new to this,” Barton spoke up. “I mean, we do come from a long line of Heroes, but my grandfather is the only living Hero we have encountered. Until Milo, of course. We want our son to be safe, but we know certain things are expected of Heroes. Where do we go from here?”

“Nothing is truly expected of Milo,” replied Seven. “He can do nothing if he chooses. Having an active Hero Gene does not force anyone into anything. Should Milo choose to accept the life of a Hero, I have been charged with overseeing his training. The choice, however, rests solely with him.”

They all looked to Milo who ignored their prying eyes.

“What about Devon?” Milo said, changing the subject.

“Ah, don’t worry about that, Milo,” Captain Amazing told him. “You’re protected under the Hero Act. They can’t do anything to you. It was an accident anyhow.”

When America’s constitution was drafted, there were no laws that were superficially directed towards Heroes or Villains. Not long after America won its freedom, and the Constitution was ratified, an amendment was added that had more of an indirect effect on anyone with a Hero Gene. It’s main purpose was to acquit any Hero or Villain of power-related crimes during their genetic transitional period. Since new Heroes and Villains were unpredictable as far as powers went, they were given leeway when it came to collateral damage such as sending your childhood nemesis through the front side of a house. The Hero Act also mandated a fund be set up and controlled by the government to provide aid to those that were affected. Once word got out about Milo’s powers, not only would he be released of all responsibility of the incident, but the Culpepper’s would get financial restitution for the repairs to their home and Devon’s medical bills would be paid in full.

“Captain Amazing is correct, Milo,” Seven agreed. “Your country’s laws give you immunity from repercussions.”

Milo breathed a sigh of relief.

“So when do we start the training?” Captain Amazing asked, getting things back on track.

“Granddad, you heard Acolyte Seven,” Barton said. “It’s Milo’s choice.”

They were all looking at him expectantly again. Milo shifted uneasily in his seat.

“Well,” he stammered, “of course I want to be trained. I can’t very well be the first person in the family to have Powers and not use them to something good.”

“Are you sure about this, Milo?” Brooke asked. She locked eyes with him and gave him a look that Captain Amazing felt could only mean anything to the two of them. He had never had that kind of connection with his mother, especially after his father died. He envied it.

Milo nodded. “I’m sure.”

“Very well,” Seven said, nodding. “We will explore your Powers further when next we meet.”

“You aren’t going to leave me out of the fun,” Captain Amazing cut in. “Are you?”

Acolyte Seven looked at Captain Amazing blankly.

“I would be honored to have you there, Captain,” he said flatly. “I must take my leave. The Council must be informed. We will start tomorrow at noon. I will meet you and your great-grandfather in Wilson’s Meadow outside of town. Captain Amazing can prepare you for what to expect. Farewell, Radcliff family.”

Without another word, Seven stood up from the table, pressed a small circular disk, and vanished into thin air. Captain Amazing hadn’t seen anyone teleport in decades. It made his heart skip a beat. His pulse had quickened with excitement. He was finally going to pass on the deep well of knowledge he had about being a Hero to his great-grandson. He couldn’t be happier.

Milo hopped up from his chair.

“Can I call Bill?” he asked his parents in a rapid fire.

His mother sighed. “I guess we can’t keep him in the dark forever.”

In what seemed to be only seconds, Milo had dialed his friend’s number, informed Bill where to meet him, and bolted back upstairs to change clothes. In another few seconds he was bounding back down the stairs and out the front door. Captain Amazing looked at his grandson and his wife. Both of them looked a little worried and excited for their son. He knew Brooke was a worrier. The whole thing must be eating her up inside.

“Don’t worry you two,” Captain Amazing said to them happily. “No harm will come to your son while I still draw breath.” Neither of them seemed to ease on the trepidation as they looked at the aging Hero. “Now,” he said with finality, “what’s for dinner?”



© 2014 Ben Mariner


My Review

Would you like to review this Chapter?
Login | Register




Share This
Email
Facebook
Twitter
Request Read Request
Add to Library My Library
Subscribe Subscribe


Stats

130 Views
Added on July 11, 2014
Last Updated on July 11, 2014


Author

Ben Mariner
Ben Mariner

Parker, CO



About
I've been writing since I was in high school. I love the feeling of creating a new world out of nothing and seeing where the characters go. There's no better feeling in the world. I've written a book .. more..

Writing
Prologue Prologue

A Chapter by Ben Mariner


Chapter One Chapter One

A Chapter by Ben Mariner


Chapter Two Chapter Two

A Chapter by Ben Mariner