Chapter Twenty Three

Chapter Twenty Three

A Chapter by Ben Mariner
"

Hero's Call: Chapter Twenty Three

"

We need to talk, water man.

Captain Amazing’s voice cut through Acolyte Seven’s mind like a razor. He had been trying to get a little rest, but the old Hero seemed not to care much about that. Establishing the mental link between their minds was Seven’s idea so that they may better communicate over long distances regarding Milo’s progress. It was, however, an idea he wished he could have taken back. Amazing was gruff and uncouth at the best of times. Seven did find amusement though at Captain Amazing’s use of the term the Ancient Egyptians had used for the An’Fari.

I am at your disposal, Captain, Seven replied amicably. What troubles you?

You know damn well what troubles me, Amazing replied. Were you going to tell me Czar Destructo escaped, or were you just going to wait until he came and tried to kill me in my sleep?

Seven paused. He knew the news of Destructo’s escape would not be hidden from Captain Amazing forever. He had been hoping to apprehend the Villain before it had reached Amazing’s ears. Alas, the Villain had eluded all of the equipment Seven had been given to track him down. Mental scans, power scans, dimensional scans all failed to pick up any trace of Destructo. It was as if he no longer existed. Either he had been sucked into oblivion, or he had created his own equipment to counter act the scanners. The first option was almost laughable, and the second would indicate an increase in Destructo’s intelligence. That would not be good for anyone.

My most solemn apologies, Captain, said Seven mentally. I was under strict orders of the council to not involve anyone in my search for your old nemesis, not even you. My hands were tied, as the Earth saying goes.

Captain Amazing snorted with mental laughter.

Didn’t feel like breaking the rules again, eh, water man?

Your meaning behind that? Seven had asked, but he already knew the answer. He should have known Captain Amazing was old enough to still remember the proper procedures.

Training heroes is, as the Earth saying goes, Amazing said sarcastically, a little below your pay grade, isn’t it?

Seven didn’t respond immediately. Even if Captain Amazing hadn’t known how the An’Fari did things, the silence would have told him everything he needed to know.

Don’t worry you old bag of goo, the old Hero said, I’m not going to say anything. Just don’t get one of those kids killed.

I assure you, Captain, Seven said, breathing a small sigh of relief, I am more than capable of training Milo and Calliope to an expert level with their powers. They will come to no harm but by their own potential mistakes. I cannot be with them always, Captain.

The Hero grumbled inaudibly. It was a sad truth. Train them all you want, one mistake and their career as defenders against Evil will be over. The life of a Hero is one of great peril and personal risk. That is why only the bravest of souls chooses to stand in defense of the innocent and why only the weak of heart, the cowardly choose to seek to take advantage or endanger them.

Well keep me updated on Destructo, Amazing said finally, changing back to the original topic.

Now that you are abreast of the situation, replied Seven, you will be my main point of contact on all things Destructo. I will gladly accept any and all advice and information you have for me. Anything that will help apprehend the Villain as quickly as possible.

Amazing laughed again. It was a low rumble of a laugh that made Seven uneasy.

Advice? He chuckled. You want my advice on how to catch Destructo?

If you would be so inclined, Captain, Seven answered, not fully aware of the underlying tone in Captain Amazing’s tone.

Try not to let him kill you.



© 2014 Ben Mariner


My Review

Would you like to review this Chapter?
Login | Register




Share This
Email
Facebook
Twitter
Request Read Request
Add to Library My Library
Subscribe Subscribe


Stats

140 Views
Added on July 11, 2014
Last Updated on July 11, 2014


Author

Ben Mariner
Ben Mariner

Parker, CO



About
I've been writing since I was in high school. I love the feeling of creating a new world out of nothing and seeing where the characters go. There's no better feeling in the world. I've written a book .. more..

Writing
Prologue Prologue

A Chapter by Ben Mariner


Chapter One Chapter One

A Chapter by Ben Mariner


Chapter Two Chapter Two

A Chapter by Ben Mariner