"Things are going to get better now that I've met you"

"Things are going to get better now that I've met you"

A Chapter by fanfictionlover45

NILAH.

 

It was a so beautiful today in Atlanta. The sun was out; shining brightly and the clouds were a baby blue. It was peaceful. Justin walked beside me, staying quiet. We were walking back towards the apartment building, a comfortable silence surrounding us. I looked over at Justin, a small frown set on his face. I looked down, watching my Nike covered feet drag against the ground.

I sighed, fixing my sweater so that it was covering my body. It was a little bit windy today in Atlanta; I wasn't used to it. I turned to Justin; he was busy looking out at the cars speeding by us. I grabbed his forearm softly, making him turn towards me. He looked down at me, concerned.

"What?" He mumbled, looking me straight in the eye.

"You okay?" I asked, slowly letting go of his arm.

He nodded hesitantly, staring down at his own shoes. "I'm fine."

"Whatever." I looked at him sternly, watching as a small smile formed on his face.

"I'm fine, really." Instead of arguing, I just let it go. I knew there was something bothering him. I would get it out of him.  I just smiled and continued walking along beside him.

Justin seemed like a sweet, caring person, but he was lonely. You could tell by the way he acted. He was quiet, kept to himself. It made me mad that no one in his family was there for him. I could understand that his mother had to work to make a living for her and her son, but he needed someone there for him. I would make sure that someone would be me.

We were now closer to the apartments and I didn't want to leave him. I sighed and asked, "Do you just want to hang out on the fire escape. I don't really want to go home yet."

He looked down at me, his brown eyes bright in the burning sun. "Um, sure."

I smiled at him, shoving my hands into the pockets of my sweater. "Awesome."


It was now close to six o'clock at night; Justin and I were still sitting out on the fire escape. We talked about everything and nothing, watching life happen in the big town of Atlanta.  I was beginning to really like Justin. He understood how I felt. I told him about how my father thought he could have all control of my life, how I felt trapped and lonely. He told me how it was okay, and that everything would get better.

"Things are only going to get better now that I've met you." I told him, looking deep into his eyes. He shook his head and sighed, running a hand through his disheveled hair.

"Don't say that." He whispered, looking down at the ground a few feet under us.

"It's true." I told him. I looked up at him; his face had a pained look on it.

"Seriously Justin, what's wrong?" I demanded, leaning forward to grab his attention.

"At least you have someone in your life. All of the people I love have just disappeared from mine."

His eyes filled with unshed tears, holding them in. I sighed and lay a hand on his cheek. "I'm here for you." I whispered.

He gave me a small smile. All of a sudden, a door slammed open and I heard footsteps coming up the fire escape. We both looked down, my father's angry eyes meeting mine. I quickly stood up and hurried to my father's side.

Justin looked between my father and me, contemplating on what to do.

"Um, Dad...this is Justin. He lives in the same apartments."

Justin stood and walked slowly near my father, holding out his hand. "Hello, sir."

My father just stared down at Justin's hand, and then glared up at Justin's face. "Stay away from my daughter."

Justin's face turned from polite to hurt. "Excuse me?"

"You heard me, boy. Stay away from her. She doesn't need a low life like you."

"Dad!" I exclaimed, looking up at his tall form.  

"No, Nilah. It's okay, he's right." My father's face was emotionless, staring Justin down.

"It is not. Dad, it's time to stop controlling my life!"

"Get in the house now, Nilah."

"But, I-"

"Now!" I gave Justin an apologetic look and hurried down the stairs and into the house.

My father slammed the door behind us. I stopped in the living room, waiting for the wrath that was coming.  He stood next to me, his angry stare burning in the side of my face.

"What have I told you?" He questioned; his voice hard. His arms were crossed against his chest.

"It's time you let me live my life, Dad. I'm almost 18." I whispered, looking him in the eye.

"I don't care. As long as you're in my house, you live by my rules."

"Yes, but Daddy, I'm so lonely. You're gone all the time. I don't have any friends. Justin is really nice to me."

"I don't want you to see that boy again. Do you hear me?"

"The only freaking guy that is hurting me, Dad...is you."

"Do you understand me?" He yelled, staring me down.

I felt the tears building in my eyes; I tried so hard to keep my cool.  "Yes."

"Good. Now, go make dinner."

My father walked away, I tried to burn a hole in his back with the glare I was giving him.

It's official; I hate my father. 



© 2012 fanfictionlover45


My Review

Would you like to review this Chapter?
Login | Register




Share This
Email
Facebook
Twitter
Request Read Request
Add to Library My Library
Subscribe Subscribe


Stats

155 Views
Added on March 10, 2012
Last Updated on March 10, 2012