The New Stone

The New Stone

A Story by Brenda Sue

"Wesley, lets take a drive?"

"Alright, mom, where are we going?"

"I don't know, I just need to get out of the house." Sue tells Wesley as she starts to get her shoes on.

Upon getting into the car Wesley starts changing the music. "What kind of music do you feel like today, mom?"

"Put on something happy and lively" Sue tells him as she is pulling the car out into the highway. Wesley keeps changing and playing different music as they drive around, not really going anywhere important.

"Mom, I'm hungry."

Sue laughs, "What's new? You are always hungry. What would you like?"

"There's a KFC, lets have some chicken. Do you want to eat inside?" Wesley says as he is pointing where the restaurant is.

"No, son, I don't feel like seeing any people today. Lets go through the drive-thru and go somewhere else and eat. Ok?"

"Cool, mom, you know what I want to eat. I'll have sweet tea to drink today."

With their order in tow, they head back out into the highway, heading north. They drive around for a while before Sue pulls into a graveyard. They sat there quietly for a few minutes. Neither saying a word. Then they eat their meal, listening to music as they eat. As they finish eating, Wesley bags the scrapes and heads out the door to the dumpster.

Walking back to the car, Wesley stops at a tomb stone and just stands there, not moving. As Sue comes up behind him, he says, "Mom, the new head stone is up. It is strange seeing dad's name on it. Do you think dad knows we are here with him today?"

© 2008 Brenda Sue


My Review

Would you like to review this Story?
Login | Register




Reviews

This is a healing story beautifully written. The knowledge that life does go on is hard to face for a time, but when we accept, we are on the road to healing. Lovely work.

Posted 16 Years Ago


1 of 1 people found this review constructive.

An emotionally written piece. I can understand why you felt the need to to do that trip out with Wesley.
Thank you for for sharing this moment.

Posted 16 Years Ago


2 of 2 people found this review constructive.


Share This
Email
Facebook
Twitter
Request Read Request
Add to Library My Library
Subscribe Subscribe


Stats

184 Views
2 Reviews
Rating
Added on February 24, 2008
Last Updated on June 29, 2008

Author

Brenda Sue
Brenda Sue

Chatsworth, GA



About
Rose Glitter Graphics Everyone has there own beliefs about what Heaven is, whether religiously, spiritually or just musically! (Led Zeppelin) The one thing I found in common with each person though .. more..

Writing

Related Writing

People who liked this story also liked..