Brownies Make the Day Better

Brownies Make the Day Better

A Story by Brenda Sue

I am working at my desk, as Paige comes into the room all pouting, "Moma! Michael won't play with me."


"Now dear....."


"Mommie, he says I break everything I touch. Moma, I don't mean to." Paige falls down into the big overstuffed chair with her bottom lip hanging out as only a six year old little girl can do.


I put away the papers I am working on and get up. As I move toward the kitchen I say, "Paige, please come help me." Paige is by my side in an instant.


I get out a bowl and add one-fourth cup of oil and three-fourth cup of cocoa. "Paige, will you please stir this together for me?" I ask as I hand the bowl to Paige, who is sitting at the kitchen counter.


"Yes, moma. What is it?"


"You'll see." I tell her as I continue to get out the other ingredients I will need. In a large mixing bowl I place two cups of sugar and one cup of unbleached self rising flour and a dash of salt.

 

"Salt? What is the salt for, mommie?" Paige asks as she is stirring the cocoa mixture. "Is this stirred enough?"


Looking over, I say, "Keep stirring, get most of the lumps out." I stir the dry ingredients together and get out a small bowl. I place two sticks of butter in the bowl and place it in the microwave to melt the butter. Then I start to break four eggs into the bowl with the dry ingredients.


"Mommie, let me do the eggs."


"I don't want any shells in here."


"Oh, moma I won't put shells in the bowl. I know better. Can I please?" Paige pleads.


"OK." I tell her as I hand an egg to Paige. Paige carefully breaks the egg and pours the egg into the bowl. 'The smile on Paige's face is worth a million dollars', I beam to myself. The microwave beeps, the butter is melted.


"Paige, I am ready for the cocoa."

 

Laughing Paige exclaims, "Moma I had cocoa on my finger!"


"Go ahead and lick it off. No don't. It doesn't have sugar in it yet." I say as I am pouring the butter into the bowl over top of the eggs. But I am too late Paige has already put her finger in her mouth.


"Uhhhhhhhh" Paige is making all kind of faces as I stir the cocoa in the bowl.


Giggling I say, "Well you will think different after we have stirred it all together." Then I add two cups of chopped pecans.

 

"Moma, I love nuts. Can I lick the spoon?" Paige asks as she watches me pour the batter into a greased 9 by 13 pan. I have already preheated the over to 350 degrees.


"How long will it take to cook?" Paige asks as I  hand her the bowl and spoon.

 

"About thirty minutes. Can I have a bite? Paige, you have it all over your nose!" I giggle as I get myself a spoon to help Paige eat the remaining batter in the bowl.

***********

Brenda's Ultimate Brownies

3/4 cup cocoa
1/4 cup oil
Mix this two together to make a paste.

Melt 2 sticks of butter.

Mix into a bowl
2 cups of sugar
1 cup of unbleached self rising flour
dash of salt

Then add
4 eggs
the cocoa paste
the melted butter.

After this is all mixed together add
2 cups of chopped pecans or walnuts
and stir.

Bake in a greased 9 by 13 pan in a pre-heated 350 degree oven for 30 minutes.

© 2008 Brenda Sue


My Review

Would you like to review this Story?
Login | Register




Featured Review

Very uplifting slice of life here. I cannot help but wonder how it might sound if told in the first person from the perspective of either Paige or her mother. The use of the word "Mother" seems very formal and it seems to me that if the perspective were first person, "Mother" could either be made not necessary (from the mothers perspective) or softened to "Mommy" or "Momma" (from Paige's perspective)

I am also wildly excited about the inclusion of the brownie recipie. I LOVE brownies.

Posted 16 Years Ago


3 of 3 people found this review constructive.




Reviews

yum, i'm craving chocolate now! isn't licking the bowl and the spoon just the best part?

Posted 16 Years Ago


1 of 1 people found this review constructive.

A delightful write and enjoyable read~ love yummy brownies~Fran Marie

Posted 16 Years Ago


1 of 1 people found this review constructive.

This is the sort of story most readers can relate to - especially mothers. You really capture that close mother and daughter relationship as you work at making cookies together. Reminds me of doing things with my daughter in her growing up years. And I love pecans. Must try this recipe. One minor detail did you mean for rather than of in the following line "Paige, will you please stir this together of me?"

Posted 16 Years Ago


1 of 1 people found this review constructive.

This is a cute story;it shows some mother and daughter time! :D And yay, a recipe! Lol.

-Nicole

Posted 16 Years Ago


1 of 1 people found this review constructive.

aww this was cute! i will have to try your brownies.

Posted 16 Years Ago


1 of 1 people found this review constructive.

im going to try that brownie mix i love brownies!! lol!
~akaila~

Posted 16 Years Ago


1 of 1 people found this review constructive.

What a touching and wonderful story! Who still makes brownies without mix? That is a wonderful twist on life, and I might give it a try myself one of these days now that I have a recipe. Nice touch at the end!

Peace and love,
Gabe


Posted 16 Years Ago


2 of 2 people found this review constructive.

This is adorable. Wouldn't it be wonderful if we could heal ALL of our daughter's hurts with brownies?

Very heartwarming, Brenda. Thank you for sharing this with us!

Posted 16 Years Ago


2 of 2 people found this review constructive.

This warmed my heart as I have a nine year old daughter and she likes to help me bake :-) It's a sweet (no pun intended) story that I'm happy to have come across.

Posted 16 Years Ago


2 of 2 people found this review constructive.

Very uplifting slice of life here. I cannot help but wonder how it might sound if told in the first person from the perspective of either Paige or her mother. The use of the word "Mother" seems very formal and it seems to me that if the perspective were first person, "Mother" could either be made not necessary (from the mothers perspective) or softened to "Mommy" or "Momma" (from Paige's perspective)

I am also wildly excited about the inclusion of the brownie recipie. I LOVE brownies.

Posted 16 Years Ago


3 of 3 people found this review constructive.


First Page first
Previous Page prev
1
Share This
Email
Facebook
Twitter
Request Read Request
Add to Library My Library
Subscribe Subscribe


Stats

410 Views
16 Reviews
Rating
Added on February 24, 2008
Last Updated on February 28, 2008

Author

Brenda Sue
Brenda Sue

Chatsworth, GA



About
Rose Glitter Graphics Everyone has there own beliefs about what Heaven is, whether religiously, spiritually or just musically! (Led Zeppelin) The one thing I found in common with each person though .. more..

Writing

Related Writing

People who liked this story also liked..


Growth Charts Growth Charts

A Story by Emily B