Endymion

Endymion

A Poem by Belle

 

Day after day

I can offer libation

To the statue of Nemesis

For her to succour every woman

Who suffers from sighs

Of the burden of the pain

Of their faithless mister.

 

Night after night

I can dance in front

Of the statue of Nemesis

And  sing :

“ O mighy winged goddess,

Dispenser of dues

Make every playful man like Endymion!

Let them lie,

Motionless as if dead

Though warm and living,

In the Latmus Cave

Forever

And

Ever! “

 

 



 

© 2013 Belle


Author's Note

Belle

A bit disrespectful to the male specie others may find, but believe me there was no intention at all from the author to disrespect. This just came out while having exchange with Caradoc, a talented poet from here, and I find enjoyment ( in fact it felt so good to do so) while putting every thought into words and I really like to share this for everyone to read as much as I want to recite this over and over.

Another side note : The original god mentioned was Zeus, but I thought he will not listen to me for he himself deserves to sleep in the cave. I turned the invocation to Jupiter the Roman supreme god, later on changed again to Nemesis as what Cara have suggested, a best suggestion that must be taken.



My Review

Would you like to review this Poem?
Login | Register




Featured Review

A selfish revenge for the players of the world, wrought on behalf of every "Selene" eh, Belle?

It is a wonderful poem and I do see our conversation echoed in its lines. But one must wonder; what would the punishment be for playful women? The cheater's heart can be found beating in the breast of both genders. Each is capable of playing the bloody strings of Discord's harp and bringing ruin to the naive.

You know though, if we were talking Greek gods and retribution for scorned hearts, I think Nemesis might be a better pick than Zeus to mete out revenge.

Still, an awesome poem that made me smile.

-Caradoc

Posted 10 Years Ago


2 of 2 people found this review constructive.

Belle

10 Years Ago

Notion of justice as personal vengeance is selfishness, but there is a need to end the cycle of the .. read more



Reviews

A poignant little poem, very well put in every way. It has the classic feel to it, and it seems it could very easily have been written by one of the ancients.

The invocation to Nemesis was the correct one, as there is the theme of vengeance and retribution to this one. Considering the word that has come from that name which is defined as "the agent of someone's downfall", this poem becomes far more personalized and feels far more right than it would've been had the invocation been made to Jupiter. "Dispenser of dues" indeed... Another name for the goddess was "Adrasteia" which roughly translates to "inescapable" - and we'd like to believe that justice is thus, don't we? What i read in the poet's will is a contempt for the dishonest spirit, the fallible nature of the human heart (in this case, of men in particular) to remain faithful and loyal. Hmmm. It makes me ponder again on the fragile and blurry line between justice and vengeance. A term exists somewhere in the middle, i think, the word "retribution" which seems to invoke a bit of the the objective distance of "justice" and the subjective feeling of "vengeance"... And let's not forget, that there is something of a difference between taking "revenge" and "avenging oneself"... It's not so similar and interchangeable as people think... And vengeance might be more akin to justice than people realize. Is not fidelity one of the basic desires in any relationship? Failure to adhere to it seems to evoke the nature of "avenging" instead of "revenging". A matter of honour will always be a matter of "avenging" and it is honour (or rather, the lack of it) that is criticized in this poem. Ah but that's just my take on it. Thank you very much for sharing this.as excellent as ever, Belle.

Posted 10 Years Ago


Belle

10 Years Ago

Here to acknowledge this excellent review/input, I sure be back for this when I get back to my place.. read more
KAin

10 Years Ago

You're welcome, Belle :)
It's always a pleasure to read your work.
This is so juvenile. It made me chuckle. Not that i find delight in fellow women suffering pain from philandering misters but on the prayer for the vindication for the wrong that had been committed. it reminded me so much of those stories about casting a curse over a lighted black candle in Quiapo church. The mention of the greek gods made me want to read the book on greek mythology that i left in my bookshelf. i enjoyed reading this Belle.

Posted 10 Years Ago


Not to worry please. This is but one of the aspects of the beautiful relationship between man and woman. But strive to go one they must because they are made for each other.

A poem written with a lot of class and a lot of flair. I really appreciate the Greek mythology, it made for a very entertaining and informative read! Thanks for sharing!

Posted 10 Years Ago


This flow of this piece was like sweet butter on the tongue! Topic aside I would give this piece four thumbs and many dozens of fingers up in praise. Not only does is speak smooth, like a perfect syrup of ink, pouring in just the right volume with every line, but it's word uses and choice of descriptive images brings the piece alive in the inner eye. Topic aside, you've crafted an elegant tapestry of ink and idea, foraging a magnificiant silk blanket that one can't help but just speak over and over again, enjoying it's embrace.

Now... upon the topic. I would say... down with the men! Truss'm in hemp with weights a plenty upon heavy boot and toss'm like coins into the wishing well of the ocean deep. Ole' Davy knows the places where they'll keep. ;)

Yet... For the sake of balance... both frightful and dreadful men... have upon the reverse side of the dish, the counter point of equal terror in the femine gender. Thus... As i read this... I see it speaking in three dimensions upon a spinning stool, one side woman the other side man... the dance is the same, the gods still will reign justice for travesties of sin and the mirror still reflects the evils within those who would be such.

As always Ms. Belle... You craft a fine spool of intelectual and philosophical thread up the page! Very much enjoyed! =)

Aaron - Wolfwind

Posted 10 Years Ago


interesting writing !

Keep writing !

Posted 10 Years Ago


I've always enjoyed poetry including Greek mythological characters. Revenge...retribution for men who suffer from hubris. I like the concept....of course there are women who suffer from hubris as well! Very well written. lydi**

Posted 10 Years Ago


Belle

10 Years Ago

Greek Mythology is my favorite source of inspiration. These gods and goddesses are nothing but refle.. read more
[send message][befriend] Subscribe
Pax
I believed "faithless" doesn't always fall to the male gender - it's human nature my friend. People do it for pleasure and thrill - to add spice to their life or they are just plain addicts... changing from one partner to another... for their hunger cannot be contained so they let it be and indulge in every moments of it.

Seconds stanza talks about punishment, do you really want every faithless mister to have granted eternal slumber? do we really know what's righteous justice for this kind of sin? do this faithless mister have first offense or second offense first before the final verdict of eternal slumber? if not so one mistake is enough for the final verdict... Those are just my thoughts my friend, I am really glad you have shared this piece cause you have made me used my rusty brian ;P

Posted 10 Years Ago


Belle

10 Years Ago

relax my friend, relax, you might be charge as guilty. This poem is giving me endless smile since y.. read more
Caradoc

10 Years Ago

A gentle heart have I, eh? I would like to point you to the poems; "Fallen Angel", "The Black Messen.. read more
A selfish revenge for the players of the world, wrought on behalf of every "Selene" eh, Belle?

It is a wonderful poem and I do see our conversation echoed in its lines. But one must wonder; what would the punishment be for playful women? The cheater's heart can be found beating in the breast of both genders. Each is capable of playing the bloody strings of Discord's harp and bringing ruin to the naive.

You know though, if we were talking Greek gods and retribution for scorned hearts, I think Nemesis might be a better pick than Zeus to mete out revenge.

Still, an awesome poem that made me smile.

-Caradoc

Posted 10 Years Ago


2 of 2 people found this review constructive.

Belle

10 Years Ago

Notion of justice as personal vengeance is selfishness, but there is a need to end the cycle of the .. read more

Share This
Email
Facebook
Twitter
Request Read Request
Add to Library My Library
Subscribe Subscribe


Stats

275 Views
8 Reviews
Rating
Added on October 21, 2013
Last Updated on October 21, 2013

Author

Belle
Belle

About
Live Traffic Stats more..

Writing
Untitled Untitled

A Poem by Belle



Related Writing

People who liked this story also liked..


You Came You Came

A Poem by Belle


Unforgotten Unforgotten

A Poem by Belle


Taken Taken

A Poem by Belle