Chapter Six

Chapter Six

A Chapter by Lea Jane
"

"I will search the Earth for you, Jane... because my soul will not rest until I have spoken."

"

            Jane watched in distress as each lock of her mousy chocolate-brown hair fell to the floor as Isabella swiftly removed them with an old kitchen knife.

            “That’s an awful lot of hair, Isabella! Are you sure you know what you're doing?” Jane asked worriedly, eyeing strand after strand as they floated softly down to her feet.

            “Jane, it has got to look believable!” Isabella cried indignantly. “You must look like a true gentleman!”

            Biting back the retort that was on the tip of her tongue, Jane closed her eyes until Isabella had finished her handiwork.

            “Alright,” she whispered nervously. “’Tis finished.” Turning Jane towards the mirror above the sink, the two girls stared at the strange reflection that gazed back at them.

            Jane slowly turned her head from side to side. Truly that could not be she? The hair was short and choppy, and the angular facial features seemed much more prominent than before, but indeed, the heavenly blue eyes and dirt-streaked face remained unchanged.

            “Oh, Isabella!” she cried, carefully touching her new hair with soft fingertips. She felt the defined lines of her jaw, and watched giddily as the light from the candles cast shadows upon her pointed features.

            “You are truly handsome, dear Jane,” Isabella giggled, her dried lips meeting with her friend’s pink cheek.

            “Jane? Are you in there?” a voice called from the other side of the washroom door.

            “Erm… j-just a moment!” Jane replied quickly, covering her head with an old rag. Isabella fastened the rag with a pin from her apron as Jane gradually opened the door, revealing a bewildered Geoffrey.

            “Good eve, miladies. What, uh… what were you two doing in there?” he asked curiously.

            “I just be washin’ Lady Jane’s hair. Thank heavens I be a mite stronger than she! Ye know how she detests bein’ clean!” Isabella smirked. “Took all me strength to pin her down!”

            Jane smiled at her friend and gave her a gentle shove. “Did you need something?” she asked, returning her attention to Geoffrey.

            “Oh, um… well, I… I wondered if I could speak with you for a moment… alone,” he added hurriedly, seeing Isabella’s eyes widen eagerly.

            With a small ‘humph!’, Isabella slid past the two and made her way down the hall to she and Jane’s shared room. Jane chucked softly to herself; Isabella loved nothing more than to eavesdrop and gossip.

            “Jane,” Geoffrey whispered. Her eyes turned upward, locking into his. She sensed a mixture of feelings hidden within their depths; Geoffrey tended to carry his soul on the sleeve of his shirt.

            He looked untouchably attractive in the dim light, she realized abruptly, really seeing him for the first time. His hair fell over his deep green eyes in the most breathtaking way, and the shadows danced across his rosy cheeks like restless spirits. He licked his already moist lips, and Jane caught herself instinctively leaning toward him. He seemed to notice as well, and he cautiously reached out, gently rubbing the back of his hand against her warm cheek. “I fear I shall be recruited tomorrow,” he said quietly, tears shining along the rims of his evergreen eyes.

            Jane raised her own hand and placed it contentedly in the one that so lovingly caressed her cheek. “You are afraid?” she asked, searching his face for the emotions she knew he so desperately wanted to reveal.

            He shook his head immediately. “Not in the way you would think,” he said simply. Jane crinkled her brow, puzzled. Geoffrey released a sigh that he seemed to have been holding back. “I only fear that I shall never see your beautiful face again, Jane.”

            Jane felt her heart pound so heavily against her chest that she was almost certain Geoffrey could hear it, too. “Do not fret, Geoffrey. We may not be as far apart as you think.” Although they had been friends since childhood, Jane could not bring herself to reveal her plan to him. She knew deep in her heart that Geoffrey cared too much to allow her to risk her life, and he would do everything in his power to stop her if he had so much as an inkling of the trouble she was about to get herself into.

            “What do you mean by such words?” he asked softly, confusion sweeping all previous emotions from his angelic face.

            Jane sensed the suspicion rising on the edge of his voice, and she smiled sweetly, pressing her free hand against his firm chest. “I mean, Sir Geoffrey, that I shall be in here.” She could feel his heart thudding faintly underneath his shirt.

            “Why must you speak in riddles, Jane?” Geoffrey asked, raising his voice in an almost defensive manner.

            Jane sighed and rolled her eyes, irritated with his narrow-mindedness. “I do not speak literally, my dear friend, but in hopes that you shall keep me in your heart as you set out in your travels.”

            The dawning on Geoffrey’s face was so apparent that the image of a candle suddenly becoming illuminated appeared in Jane’s mind. He wrapped his arms around her small body, pressing her tightly against his torso. He was a strong man, although nowhere near as muscular as many of the other men in the village. Even so, Jane felt several places in her back crack loudly as he squeezed her forcibly.

           

 

            Releasing her from his arms was one of the most painful things he’d ever done in his life, but as the seconds ticked by, and the embrace became awkward as she shifted uncomfortably, he felt he had no choice. Holding her at arm’s length, his rough hands resting greatly on her shoulders, Geoffrey tried to regain control over the sensations that were wreaking havoc through his body. He wanted to unleash the tears of frustration, pain, and heartache that threatened to consume him. He wanted to give Jane both their first real kisses, to lay his lips against hers, and later perhaps his bare body upon her own. He wanted to kiss her so passionately that all worries of war, uncertainty, and betrayal would be lost as she finally succumbed to him. He wanted to confess the love he’d felt for her since the day they’d met, to say the three sweetest words in human language, to speak that overused expression so powerfully that she would collapse in his arms, and hopefully utter them back…

            However, Geoffrey could not find the courage within himself to do even one of these things. Instead, he stared into her impossibly blue eyes, his heart swelling at the thought that he may never be able to swim in their depths again. He realized he couldn’t tell her that he loved her the day before he left for war. For if she felt the same way, and he never returned, she would waste her entire life waiting, questioning if he should ever come back to her, wondering if he had been killed, imprisoned, or perhaps had simply forgotten about her. The answer would never be revealed, and she would be destined to die alone and heartbroken. Geoffrey couldn’t bring himself to cause someone he loved so deeply that amount of pain.

            “Geoffrey… speak to me,” her voice whispered, and to Geoffrey it sounded like the voice of an angel singing in his ear. He took her face and cupped his firm hands around her cheeks, kissing her forehead affectionately.

            “I have never before felt the emotions I feel when I’m near you, Jane,” he began, his shoulders shaking slightly as he fought his inward battle. “I know I cannot ask you to wait for me… because you may wait a lifetime and hear not a breath of a word from me.” He closed his eyes, sweat gathering in beads around his hairline. “But if I see you again, however far off in the future it may be… there is something I must confess to you. A secret I have been holding prisoner inside my heart for many years. Do not ask me to tell you now, dearest Jane, for ‘tis not the time. I may regret my silence later on in my life, but ‘tis the choice I have made. I will search the Earth for you, Jane… because my soul will not rest until I have spoken.” One glassy tear finally escaped one of his twinkling green eyes, slipping over his strong cheekbones and disappearing into the corner folds of his quivering mouth.

 



© 2010 Lea Jane


Author's Note

Lea Jane
A little intense on Geoffrey's part, but I really want opinions on his character. He's obviously not supposed to be very charming, buff, or witty but he does love Jane a lot.

My Review

Would you like to review this Chapter?
Login | Register




Featured Review

Geoffrey's character is strong and established well. I think you have accomplished what you were after. I found all the characters to be well described. The story line initiated with a good hook as well. Keep up the good work. Remember that atmosphere and description are important to establishing time set and mood. I would have like to seen a little more weaved into the story.

Posted 15 Years Ago


1 of 1 people found this review constructive.




Reviews

Geoffrey's character is strong and established well. I think you have accomplished what you were after. I found all the characters to be well described. The story line initiated with a good hook as well. Keep up the good work. Remember that atmosphere and description are important to establishing time set and mood. I would have like to seen a little more weaved into the story.

Posted 15 Years Ago


1 of 1 people found this review constructive.


Share This
Email
Facebook
Twitter
Request Read Request
Add to Library My Library
Subscribe Subscribe


Stats

188 Views
1 Review
Rating
Added on April 13, 2008
Last Updated on September 10, 2010


Author

Lea Jane
Lea Jane

NH



About
Well, first things first. My name is Lea, and I love writing (quite obviously) but I like writing just for fun. Mostly I write humorous, romantic stories. I'm pretty awful at poetry, as I'm sure yo.. more..

Writing
White Dawn White Dawn

A Story by Lea Jane