Reidender - Part 1: The Pit

Reidender - Part 1: The Pit

A Story by Blindmikey
"

With his new gift, he embarked on a journey to heaven, from hell.

"

    "I'm still not out" - the thought kept running through his mind as he held tight to the small roots and bones that stuck out from the dirt wall. Every move he made was fragile. This isn't his first escape attempt, but he prayed it would be his last. The man looked down over his shoulder to see just how far he'd climbed up this time. Carefully, he peered down into the pit he so desperately wanted to escape. There were thousands of them, and every single one of them were crying out in agony and pain. He hadn't heard it before. Not while he was down there with them - there was no memory of anguish... at least not at first recollection. It was as if the air in that pit had consumed people’s thoughts, twisted them, and bent them. Hopefully not for good, otherwise there would be no escape - no hope. While down there, among what seemed as everybody he'd ever known, he didn't want anything else, feel for anything else, he felt good, and contempt... even though he knew it was a lie, he would never had admitted that to himself ... no, not if it weren't for that girl.

    For some reason, on one particular day, this man had a few moments of the clearest thoughts he had ever had. While watching a particular girl shove her way through the mess of people in the dark dirty, agonizing place. It was as if the surroundings and every other person came gray to his eyes, and that the only specs of color resonated from her. He realized quickly that it was not a sign of her superiority, or of her lack of despair, for her cheeks were rubbed of dirt and coal, her pants ripped, she had torn rags in place of a proper shirt, and that she walked with a limp in her right leg. For a lack of a better reason, she stood out to him because of her brief smile. Whether fake or not, that particular smile had brought the man a feeling that had been remote to him since as far back as he could remember, and all that he could remember was only his life in that pit.

    It quickly went away, and everything became gray again, the feeling of love and compassion almost swept out of the man's mind just as quickly as the color. But he held on to it so tightly, as if his life depended on it. He struggled day after day to hold onto that memory. Bumping into people with dirty faces, and torn hearts, they shouted at him for holding it, he could tell that they felt threatened by it. It became clear to him that he would not be able to keep it forever. Not in a place like this. The longer he held onto it though, the clearer his mind became, and he noticed the fear, the sorrow, and all the hatred for life that had covered the wretched place and all of its people like an evil cloak.

    His left hand suddenly came loose as the twig snapped from the dirt wall of his climb. His arm flew into the air like an open barn door with only his right hand and his feet to keep him in place. Desperately knowing that the only way out was up, he anchored his foot and quickly found new hold. But the tunnel seemed never ending, even light had abandoned this place. Never the less, he climbed with such determination and care. He couldn't afford to lose this time, couldn't afford to fall back into that absence only to lose what he fought day after day to keep.

He held onto that wall so tight, now, as if her life depended on it.

 

© 2008 Blindmikey


My Review

Would you like to review this Story?
Login | Register




Featured Review

Very thought-provoking.
Would we retain a sense of ourselves in hell
and would we manage to smile sometimes
simply because it's what we do?
Would we get a crush on someone in hell?
Would we find something to hold onto
and keep us sane
[knowing we'd probably be there for eternity]?

A couple of my thoughts after this.

It's well-written; not overly-dramatic. Quite tense and sombre [fitting, for its setting].
I don't believe in hell...except for that which we experience on Earth, but I enjoyed the imaginative overview of this. I liked that someone was trying to escape, and also that you leave us not knowing if he succeeds [perhaps that comes in Part 2, but this by itself stands as a good short story].

"the retched place and all of it's people like an evil cloak." [wretched?] [its people]

Thanks for posting this.




Posted 16 Years Ago


1 of 1 people found this review constructive.




Reviews

[send message][befriend] Subscribe
dc
This is magnetic.


Will there be more?

Posted 16 Years Ago


1 of 1 people found this review constructive.

Very thought-provoking.
Would we retain a sense of ourselves in hell
and would we manage to smile sometimes
simply because it's what we do?
Would we get a crush on someone in hell?
Would we find something to hold onto
and keep us sane
[knowing we'd probably be there for eternity]?

A couple of my thoughts after this.

It's well-written; not overly-dramatic. Quite tense and sombre [fitting, for its setting].
I don't believe in hell...except for that which we experience on Earth, but I enjoyed the imaginative overview of this. I liked that someone was trying to escape, and also that you leave us not knowing if he succeeds [perhaps that comes in Part 2, but this by itself stands as a good short story].

"the retched place and all of it's people like an evil cloak." [wretched?] [its people]

Thanks for posting this.




Posted 16 Years Ago


1 of 1 people found this review constructive.


Share This
Email
Facebook
Twitter
Request Read Request
Add to Library My Library
Subscribe Subscribe


Stats

212 Views
2 Reviews
Rating
Added on February 28, 2008
Last Updated on December 27, 2008

Author

Blindmikey
Blindmikey

College Place, WA



About
I am never the same person I was the day before. But in my heart I am the same kid I've always been. Such is my paradox. I strive to become an artisan of life. Though I am bound to fail, I do not de.. more..

Writing
detached. detached.

A Story by Blindmikey