Chapter 4

Chapter 4

A Chapter by Allison

When I finally woke up, I knew something was wrong. It was too cold for me to be lying in a hospital bed. It was dark too. I could hardly breathe. I knew that I had to get out of this dark, cold place. It just didn’t feel right. I moved my hands, hoping to touch a wall. Instead my hands met with stainless steel. “Oh God.” I said. “I’m in the morgue.” I kicked hard. My foot connected with steel and made a bang louder than a gunshot. I kicked again. Was this punishment for crashing the car? I kicked again and heard a creak as the small door to my cold chamber opened slowly. I scrambled out and into a warmer, but still cold room full of bright white light. I heard a voice behind me.

“I knew you would come back.” It was the doctor. What was he talking about? “You now must begin a new life.” A new life? I didn’t WANT a new life. The most gorgeous guy on Earth just asked me out! The last thing I need is a new life.  “You are a reaper.” For the first time, I spoke.

“A reaper? What’s that?”

“A reaper is someone who helps souls pass over to the land beyond. It is said that God himself has saved this person from death, and he plans to use them to do his bidding. But, if this reaper is not careful, Lucifer can possess their bodies to lead those who have died to the fiery depths of Hades where he resides.” CREEPY! I have justbeen granted the biggest miracle of my life and this weirdo wants to ruin my day with his fictional stories of God and the Devil. PUHHH-LEASE! But, before I could say anything, the doctor was talking again. “A reaper’s appearance must change the day they awaken, and once again every millennium. That is why no reaper can ever introduce themselves to their families under their original names. You will look the same to yourself, and other reapers, but you will have a different appearance to the living.” I gave him the meanest look I could muster. Was this guy really serious? “Now, young one, it is time that you helped me cross to the land beyond. I am getting a bit old.” For the first time, I really looked at him. He had white hair, and a stooped back. His skin looked soft and wrinkled like worn leather. Geez, this guy was old. Maybe he wasn’t pulling a bad prank. Maybe he was serious. “All you have to do is hold my hand, and say that you release me from my bonds. Then, my most beloved memory will float before us, where I will join it, then I will be gone.” Was this really going to be so easy? I decided to give it a try while a part of my mind screamed doubt. I probably WOULDN’T be able to do this. If I couldn’t, I’d let the old man down. If I COULD help him pass, who would help me through life long enough for me to get the gist of being a reaper?          


© 2010 Allison


My Review

Would you like to review this Chapter?
Login | Register




Share This
Email
Facebook
Twitter
Request Read Request
Add to Library My Library
Subscribe Subscribe


Stats

161 Views
Added on April 29, 2010
Last Updated on April 29, 2010


Author

Allison
Allison

Dinosaurland, HI



About
Howdy.... Obviously I'm Allison...... I write a lot of poetry, annnnnd I've heard that I'm pretty sarcastic and awesome :-) Review my stuffs pease? :D more..

Writing