Arrival (Prologue)

Arrival (Prologue)

A Chapter by Brandi K.
"

Robbie is envious. Andrew has a hard time letting go of the past. Can family, friends, and a little holiday spirit bring these two brothers back together?

"

 

Robbie couldn’t help but envy him, but that’s all it was; envy. He tried to hate him but he could never bring himself to. They were, after all, brothers. They often claimed to hate each other but they both knew it wasn’t true, and as much a Robbie envied Andrew for is family, his job, his fancy cars, his life, and even the wide porch of Andrew’s giant snow-covered house he was standing on at that very moment, he could never hate his brother.

Five minutes passed, then ten. Soon Robbie had been standing on the large, grey and white porch in the freezing winter weather for nearly twenty minutes. The black garbage bag of poorly-wrapped items he would attempt to pass off as gifts seemed as if it were growing heavier with every passing minute. Although he hadn’t lost the feeling in his hands yet, as he had his feet, his arm simply wouldn’t budge. The doorbell fastened to the side of the large, oak door starred mockingly back at him. He didn’t want to push it but at the same time he knew that if he didn’t face Andrew now, he would never be able to.  That doorbell was merely the first step and after taking that step, there was no turning back.

With a defeated sigh, Robbie blew a lock of dark brown hair out of his eyes and lifted his free arm, slowly pushing the doorbell with a gloved thumb. There was a soft, musical ringing from inside the house, then muffled voices followed by footsteps.  Robbie held his breath as the door opened to reveal a tall, smiling man in a red and white striped sweater covered in neatly stitched snowflakes. The man wore thin-rimmed glasses and a small Santa hat over light brown, neatly combed hair. In Robbie’s opinion, he looked like Waldo. The man’s smile faded as he realized who his unexpected visitor turned out to be.

“Robbie?” asked Andrew with a tired, yet stern look on his face.

Surveying what he could see through the small opening in the door, half obstructed by his not so jolly brother, he noticed a lavishly decorated foyer and living room. There was an all-too familiar gigantic Christmas tree covered in sparkling garlands, and ornaments of various festive colors, some he recognized and some that looked new. He could make out the light of a fireplace which must have been on the other side of the room and the laughter of his niece and nephews flooded his ears.The name Cleaver came to Robbie’s mind but he quickly replaced it, holding up his garbage bad and trying for a smile.

“Merry Christmas.”

Andrew stood in the doorway in disbelief.  The room behind him quieted down before a soft, “Who is it, dear?” rung from inside. 

“Mr. Chang, hon.  He wants to borrow the snow blower again.  I’ll be right back in.”

Robbie took the fact that he came outside without his coat on as a good sign meaning he didn’t intend to stay out for very long.  The door clicked behind his brother who turned and gave him a cold stare.  Robbie felt a chill pass through him, but for the first time that night it wasn’t caused by the December air.

“What are you doing here?” demanded Andrew, tucking his hands underneath his arms.

“Do you mind if we continue this conversation inside, bro?” Robbie suggested with half a grin, teeth chattering.  “It’s kinda chilly out here.”

“No!  I mean, yes, I do mind. What makes you think that you can just show up on my doorstep on Christmas Eve and expect to be invited in like family?”

“I am family.”

“Not anymore, you’re not. Families don’t abandon each other because things get a little too tough”

“Hey that’s not fair!”  Robbie took a step toward his brother and looked him square in the eye and hazel met identical hazel. “You’re still mad at me, I get it. I’m not exactly your biggest fan right now either, but you can’t keep me from seeing my niece and nephew on Christmas.”

“Watch me” retorted Andrew as he stepped back into the house and with one swift movement, slammed the door in his brother’s face.  Before the door completely closed, Robbie caught a glimpse of the round, questioning face of his young nephew, Robert.



© 2011 Brandi K.


Author's Note

Brandi K.
So I'm really, really iffy about continuing this. Normally, I worry a lot about the technical aspect of my writing but for some reason in this story I am more worried about the character and plot development. I feel that it is lacking. Please let me know HONESTLY if you think this story has enough potential to be continued or if the plot/character substance just isn't there.

My Review

Would you like to review this Chapter?
Login | Register




Share This
Email
Facebook
Twitter
Request Read Request
Add to Library My Library
Subscribe Subscribe


Stats

167 Views
Added on November 7, 2011
Last Updated on November 7, 2011
Tags: Family, Christmas, brothers


Author

Brandi K.
Brandi K.

About
Hi, I'm a 21 year old writing major with one short story published in a university anthology who has nothing better to do with her time than write things that no one will ever read. So why not post th.. more..

Writing
Sam Sam

A Story by Brandi K.


Familiar Faces Familiar Faces

A Chapter by Brandi K.


Brothers Brothers

A Book by Brandi K.