Familiar Faces

Familiar Faces

A Chapter by Brandi K.
"

Robbie visits some familiar faces and hatches a plan to reconnect with his brother.

"

 “I never felt more alone in my entire life. He wouldn’t even let me explain why I was there. I’ve turned my life inside-out since we last saw each other, he has no idea.”

The petite waitress listened intently as she filled Robbie’s mug with fresh coffee. She felt sorry for him but he was the only one left in the diner. She looked at the clock on the wall behind Robbie which had its small hand on the eight and its long hand on the three.

            “Look Rob, I real sorry ‘bout your brother and all, but I need to get home to Mike.”

He laughed. “You two still married?”

Clara smiled, tiredly. “Goin’ on six years now.”

He eyed her as she swiped a rag across the counter and around his mug.

 “We’re gonna have to close up. Why don’t you go stay with Billy tonight?  I’m sure he’d love to see you again. ‘Specially on Christmas Eve.”

            “That’s a good idea. Thanks Clara.”

            “Any time, Rob. It sure was nice seein’ you back in town again.” She gave Robbie a wink as she untied her apron and slung it over the counter.

            “How much do I owe you?”

            “For three coffees and an O’Doul’s?” She grabbed his empty cup and placed it in a sink. “Consider it a Christmas present. Now scoot. I gotta be home by eight thirty.”  

            “He’s got you on curfew, a grown woman like yourself?” He smiled at her.

            “Very funny.” She flicked off the lights. “We have his family over every year now. We’re opening presents at nine and I don’t want to miss out on the eggnog.” She slipped on a long brown coat and a hat with a pink flower on its side.

Robbie opened the door for her then followed her out of the diner. After locking the door she turned to him. He had his hands in his pockets and there were small white flakes of snow in his hair that sparked in the light of the lamp post. 

            “I’ll be seein’ you around then?” She asked, pushing a lock of short brown hair behind her ear. He nodded, looking down. “Don’t fret about Andy, I’m sure he’ll come around. Maybe you’re just not tryin’ hard enough.” She gave Robbie a quick wink and a small wave of her fingers before turning on her heel and walking down the sidewalk and out of the light.

                       

            The long hike through the snow and uphill to the far side of town reminded Robbie of how many times he had actually made this journey.  It also reminded him of how tired he was once he finally reached Billy’s old shack.  Staring at the tiny house, he was surprised it was still standing.

            He walked up the stairs, narrowly avoiding a hole in the porch and took hold of the rusty doorknob. I was locked.

            “Billy?”

            “Identify yourself!” said a scratchy voice from inside the shack.

            “It’s me, Robbie.”

            The door opened just a crack, revealing an old chain lock at the top. One sunken brown eye peered out at Robbie with suspicion.

            “How do I know if you’re really Robbie?”

            Robbie sighed. 

            “You were the one who Duct-taped Mr. Kinnery’s cows’ legs together in eleventh grade, but I said I did it ‘cause your Pops threatened to send you to military school.”

            “Well hot damn!” The door swung open all the way to reveal Billy, stained white T-shirt, Skippy’s Quick Mart hat and all. Robbie could barely see a change, aside from the bags under his friend’s eyes and the thirty or so pounds he’d gained.

            Upon entering his house, Robbie noticed that the furniture, half of which used to be his, was the same as it was the day he left, five years ago. He avoided sitting on the couch as there was a sharp spring sticking out of it, so be brushed some empty beer cans off a lounge chair.

            “So where’ve you been, bud? Last I heard you was in Vegas with that girlfriend of yours. Josie? Joanne. No, uh, Jasmine!”

            “Amy.”

            “Oh. Uh, well, we sure did mss ya buddy. It’s been real lonely ‘round here since Carolina left me.”

            “Carolina left you?”

            Billy pouted and sniffled.

            “Said I wasn’t doin’ nothin’ with my life. Said she couldn’t live like this anymore.” Billy sounded sadder than Robbie felt. He gave his old friend a pat on the shoulder. Billy wiped a tear from his eye and smiled.

            “So tell me ‘bout Vegas!” 

            As Billy continued to question Robbie of his whereabouts, he looked around and observed the living conditions that surrounded him, wondering why they had seemed so appealing to him as a teenager. He also wondered why they were still so appealing to Billy. He remembered how easy it was to leave Andrew to care for their dying father, and how much it had taken to come back.  Billy never would have come back, if he had left, Robbie concluded. Robbie decided then that it was time for one more drastic decision. He pulled out his phone and quickly dialed Clara’s number, which he still had saved in his phone after all that time. He would be lying if he said he wasn’t a little surprised when she picked up.

            “Robbie?”

            “Clara? I need a favor. I know what I can do to get Andrew to listen to me.”

            He could tell she was smiling by her voice.

            “Robert Elijah Whitaker, what do you have up your sleeve?”

            “I’ll tell you later, I just need to borrow Old Gretta. She’s still alive, right?

            “Yes Robert, she is. I’ll get her ready for you.”

            “Thanks Clare.”

            “And Rob?”

            “Yeah?”

            “Don’t hurt my mule. Shes twenty-eight years old. For God’s sakes be careful.”

            Robbie laughed. “Yes Ma’am.”

            He hung up the phone with a grin on his face and turned to look at Billy, who had just opened a fresh can of PBR.  

            “Hey Bill?”

            “Yeah Rob?”

            “Remember when you worked as a mall Santa?”

 



© 2011 Brandi K.


My Review

Would you like to review this Chapter?
Login | Register




Share This
Email
Facebook
Twitter
Request Read Request
Add to Library My Library
Subscribe Subscribe


Stats

137 Views
Added on November 7, 2011
Last Updated on November 7, 2011


Author

Brandi K.
Brandi K.

About
Hi, I'm a 21 year old writing major with one short story published in a university anthology who has nothing better to do with her time than write things that no one will ever read. So why not post th.. more..

Writing
Sam Sam

A Story by Brandi K.


Brothers Brothers

A Book by Brandi K.