A Love For Winter (Part Two)

A Love For Winter (Part Two)

A Chapter by Brian M. Peeples
"

Part two of my multi-part romance short story.

"

I had watched over her from them moment I saw her, kept her safe, and made sure she was always fine. I became her guardian angel. Even though I was a spirit, trying to find his way to the next life, I could never leave her side now...I’d grown to love this girl. That...would be my downfall.

Although every ounce of me made the attempt to find a way out of this world, this troubling life, I knew that I was destined to be in her arms...this girl’s precious hold against me was unlike anything I’d ever felt. But at the same time, it seemed eerily familiar, as if time had learned to repeat itself down the forever winding road to eternity-circling around and around whilst holding onto the precious memories that lay deep inside a person’s soul. Memories never die. Not in life nor in death. They are the definition of eternal.

Now...for my soul to return to life once more? How would that be possible? There must have been a way. I knew there had to be. I would do anything in order for her to notice me. But...would she even admire my strength, my risky endeavor, that would literally mean to defy all laws of logic? For a love so pure and so rare, she would have to. Would she love me back, though? That, I could not predict. But to take a chance would be my only way for her to ever know how I felt. That every day I would watch over her innocent life, her pure spirit. She didn’t appear to have any flaws that I could see, but that’s what happens when you’re in love. You lose all sense of right and wrong, and you become so infatuated with the breath that she takes, the warmth of her hands on your frigid skin. Winter was the perfect time to be in love, but not when you are a ghostly spirit; an entity that cannot feel the touch of another person... The thought wrapped itself around my fractured heart and squeezed tightly, only to pain myself even more for not being able to enjoy all of the beautiful qualities that love allows two unique people to feel…

As I watched her closely, she made her way through the snow-covered field as the sky still spout out the frozen tears of the earth’s sorrows. It was a rather remarkable sight, and it made me love her even more, especially as she danced so lightly upon her journey through the beautiful field of memories. So passionate...a truly blissful sight to see. And I could not help but cry along with the earth, sharing her tears as they froze before hitting the chilling ground. It reminded me of my childhood...a memory once cherished between my once only true love, and myself. I missed her...and I knew it was wrong to feel a love for someone else, but I could not help the way I felt. This girl...she was similar in so many ways. I could not fathom the resemblance. Not really in looks, but the way she made me feel. Was this the same love? Many many years later, could I feel the same as I had back when I was still so very young and very much alive? But with a different girl? I could not understand it. How could I betray Maren like this? How could I love another woman?

There was only one way I would know if I truly did love this girl. I was going to return to life, somehow, and I would risk my peaceful afterlife to be with her. It was worth it, in more ways than one.

She swung her delicate arms around while she danced on the snowy landscape, singing a beautiful song, which melodically whisked its way through the wind and in one ear and out the other. It was the most wonderful sound I’d ever heard. Why was she so happy?

I was ashamed that I did not know the girl’s name, nor did she know mine. She did not know me at all. The fact troubled me. I could see, I could hear, and I could admire her beauty, but she could not express the same feelings towards me. To her, I was nonexistent. It was then that I had an idea. A brilliant idea at that.

So captivated by her majestic beauty, I did not realize that I wasn’t standing...I was floating. What was this? I was able to float? Could I...could I fly? I figured, why not? I swung forward and kicked my feet, pushing myself up off the ground and into the air, soaring around and around, flying for the first time. It was such an experience, the wonders of it all. And as I did this, I could see a trail in the wind, somewhat like a small heap of gust that followed me in my path. It was visible, and the girl noticed it. She froze for a moment, wondering what was happening as the wind picked up, pacing itself back and forth as if not able to make up its mind. She found that odd and figured one of her friends weas playing a trick on her.

Hello,” she called out, “is there anyone there?” As she spoke, I slowed to a halt, and the wind seemingly ended the moment I had. My excitement grew as I could finally communicate, I had thought. If she could see the wind path that I had created, maybe I could write in the snow…

It worked. I could see the words forming as my hand traced them in the white earthly cloud of snow. As I looked up, I could see the girl stare in awe. She could not believe what was happening when she read the words that I’d written.

Yes,” I wrote, “I am here.” I could see her face grow pale, and stricken with a certain fear that I’d never seen before. What was she thinking?

Who...who are you?” She said aloud, nearly writing it out until she realized that I could hear her.

My name is Parker...who are you?” And I could not believe my ears when I heard her name.

Marilyn, my name is Marilyn.” It sounded so familiar, so strangely similar to Maren that I could not gather my thoughts properly. I felt like a wooden stake had been driven through my heart.

The idea of someone so eerily alike, in more ways than one, was unfathomable, and I could not process such information all at once. I kept quiet for a while, at least until she said, “Are you still there?

All I wrote was, “yes,” in large letters.  I couldn’t say much more. My mind had been blown by everything that was happening. So very coincidental...or at least, that’s what I had thought.

Truly, though, it couldn’t be such a coincidence as such. Something was strange. Something was off. But what was it? What was this feeling that I had in my stomach? Wait a minute...could ghosts even have feelings? I wasn’t entirely sure, but whatever it was, I felt it deeply and sincerely.

What are you?” She said, continuing the conversation once again. Night was closing in, and the Sun had grown too tired to continue its watch over us, at least, until tomorrow.

I am your guardian angel,” I plainly wrote to her. I could see a glimmer in her eyes, and a smile began to form on her hopeful face.

Are you really?” she replied, “You’re not playing any tricks, are you?” I laughed aloud, but knew she couldn’t hear me. Her reaction was priceless, and I just smiled and continued to write on the snowy floor I used as a piece of paper.

I am playing no tricks,” I wrote once more, and then used the wind to my advantage, blowing more of the wintry essence towards where I’d already written, sweeping the slate clean and starting over.

Well, you better not be,” she said, “because I will run far away if I find out you are trying to trick me.” I did not want that. Not in the least. Her presence was all I needed to live, to survive.

Trust. Me.” I wrote, as the wind brushed the words away almost instantly. But she saw the words before they were gone, and she nodded.

I figured I would try and use my new-found abilities to their full potential. Slowly, I gather just enough wind and lifted Marilyn up off the ground. She was now floating atop a whirlwind cloud as I flew myself high and low, happily soaring around my new friend, the girl I fell in love with. I wanted to show her just what I could do, so I made her fly.



© 2014 Brian M. Peeples


Author's Note

Brian M. Peeples
Read part one before you read this, or else it won't make any sense! And don't forget to check out part three, which I'd just recently posted!

My Review

Would you like to review this Chapter?
Login | Register




Reviews

[send message][befriend] Subscribe
bee
Man, you know your way with romantic writing... beautiful yet simple and honest!

Posted 9 Years Ago


Delightful. Original. Engrossing.

Posted 9 Years Ago


You are a romance genius, Brian. How does one come up with these things you write in your stories?! Instead of the boy talking to her, he writes in the snow!!! Say, if you have a lover, she will be very lucky to receive love letters from you! I subconsciously had a smile on my face as I was reading this.

I absolutely adore this piece! Keep them coming, Brian!

Posted 9 Years Ago


Brian M. Peeples

9 Years Ago

Part three is already posted and I'm about to begin a long night of trying to finish the rest of sto.. read more
You know, I'm runnning out of words to say..
It is simply too good for words, so enjoy my astonishing silence.
..............

Posted 9 Years Ago


Brian M. Peeples

9 Years Ago

Thanks haha. Part three will take an interesting turn, and you'll see that straight from the first p.. read more
Cool Girl

9 Years Ago

Haha:) Alright, Can't wait!
Brian M. Peeples

9 Years Ago

Finally finished part three, and posted it, right before work, too!
'' Not in life nor in death. They are the definition of eternal.'' that line... words of wisdom, i really like part two. keep it up! and by the way, this reminded of a Coldplay song called ''Ghost story'', i like part 2 a lot, and the part when parker lifts her up. Lovely to read, and as i said, keep sending me the reading request, i want to read all of this story. nice work

Posted 9 Years Ago


Brian M. Peeples

9 Years Ago

Part three is up, if interested.
Lizardo

9 Years Ago

Thank you, i will read it right now
Brian M. Peeples

9 Years Ago

Sounds good!
This just got me even more immersed ....
I love how he started communicating with her in the snow at least now she knows he's there I wonder how he thinks this could be an advantage to him lol he's a ghost ghosts don't get to live again ...... Yep you definitely have my attention my mind is going in several different directions of thinking lol


Get some sleep and keep writing .... :)

Posted 9 Years Ago


Brian M. Peeples

9 Years Ago

Thanks! I'll definitely keep writing this story. I'm not sure how long it'll be, either. I know the .. read more
Layi Tate

9 Years Ago

Oh nooooooo way!!!!!
Hahaha this is going to be great now my mind is really going .. lol than.. read more
Brian M. Peeples

9 Years Ago

Yeah haha. Part three is finished, and I'm now going to be working on parts four and five, which I t.. read more

Share This
Email
Facebook
Twitter
Request Read Request
Add to Library My Library
Subscribe Subscribe


Stats

432 Views
6 Reviews
Rating
Shelved in 1 Library
Added on December 10, 2014
Last Updated on December 23, 2014


Author

Brian M. Peeples
Brian M. Peeples

Norwich, CT



About
I am a twenty-three year old writer & poet. My passion for writing comes from all over. I love to write, and I love to inspire others. Hopefully when I'm gone one day, I'll leave behind all my writin.. more..

Writing

Related Writing

People who liked this story also liked..