Words

Words

A Poem by C.J.G.

There are millions of words in the English language

And yet we are constantly struggling to find the right one.

I have found words to be so useless

At the most crucial times

Where words are needed to be of the utmost significance.

And yet, how can one expect a string of strokes across a page

Embody an emotion to which one is in an effort to express?

It is silly, really, how often the human race counts on these strokes.

And yet, I find myself to be lost when I cannot find the right string.

 

It's the truth that expression is most impassioned when words can describe them, yet I am at a loss in describing my breathlessness towards you. 

© 2010 C.J.G.


Author's Note

C.J.G.
I don't particularly like this one, but give it a shot.

My Review

Would you like to review this Poem?
Login | Register




Reviews

Good job on the poem. :)

Posted 13 Years Ago


very nice and well-spoken. :)

Posted 13 Years Ago


I think this is more of a very short essay or what you describe as one of your 'short bursts of thought' than a poem proper. However, whatever pigeon hole we choose to place it in I think it's certainly a piece that deserves merit.

There are quite a few pieces on this site that address the inability to find the right words: I've been responsible for one myself. What you've done here is illustrate the fact that sometimes, despite the richness of the English language there are occasions when exactly what we feel cannot be described. You reveal the very core of this problem, how can 'a string of strokes across a page' ever capture an intense emotion. Perhaps even more so, why should we even think that's possible?

If I were to judge this as a poem it would be easy to complain about the lack of formal rhyme or rhythm but that wouldn't really do it justice as a piece of writing. To me it seems more of a brief monologue.

There's plenty for the reader (especially one who regularly writes) to consider here and as such that makes it a strong piece of writing.

Posted 13 Years Ago


I like words. A great speaker I can listen to all day. But few do listen to us. Some people I say little to for they don't pay attention anyway. I like this poem. Don't underestimate words. They can change the world when use correctly. Take years to become a good speaker. I like to listen to people with strong dreams and opinions. A excellent poem. Your words made me think.
Coyote

Posted 13 Years Ago


Oh, I like it. Your poem was very romantic to my eyes. Great job.

Posted 13 Years Ago



Share This
Email
Facebook
Twitter
Request Read Request
Add to Library My Library
Subscribe Subscribe


Stats

230 Views
5 Reviews
Rating
Added on August 3, 2010
Last Updated on August 3, 2010

Author

C.J.G.
C.J.G.

NY



About
Just trying to meaning in a meaningless world. more..

Writing
Underbelly Underbelly

A Poem by C.J.G.


Caves cave Caves cave

A Poem by C.J.G.


Lay Lay

A Poem by C.J.G.



Related Writing

People who liked this story also liked..


(Just) Me. (Just) Me.

A Poem by C.J.G.