Cindy's Pub

Cindy's Pub

A Chapter by Gene Fredderick

By the time Veronica arrived at the warehouse the sun had just begun to break over the horizon. She turned off the headlights, killed the engine, and let the car coast to a quiet stop.  She cautiously went into the warehouse through a back entrance and turned on a lantern she had left there earlier. Everything was sitting just as she had left it.  The bed was in a corner behind large stacks of empty crates and boxes, hiding it from anyone who might enter the warehouse.  She had a small heater next to the bed which she turned on before changing into dry clothes.  Once in dry clothing Veronica settled in the bed to sleep, but not before placing a gun under her pillow just in case.  Tomorrow she would pack up and continue with her plan.  Tonight, or rather this morning, she could rest easy because everything was going just as planned.

After I left the Commissioner at the crash site I dropped my cruiser off at the station and picked up my civilian car.  Then I decided to go visit my favorite little bar, Cindy's Pub.  As I walked in the rain  trickled to a stop; I took off my coat and took up my usual seat at the bar.

"How are you Shaun? It's been awhile! Do you want your regular?" Cindy's daughter, Samantha, asked from behind the bar.

"Hey Sam.  Yeah, the usual I guess.  Not in too much of a drinking mood though."  I pulled my wallet out and placed it on the bar.

"Well why come to the pub then?  Why not just go home to your fiance?"  Samantha asked as she gave me my drink.

"I can't.  Not while I'm sober anyways."  I began to get up, "Look, I'll fill you in when I get back.  I gotta get out of these dripping clothes."

Sam picked up the coasters of the last few customers as they left and then began her closing duties for the night. I went out to my car and returned with dry clothing and proceeded to the Men's room. Sam continued wiping off tables, collecting mugs, and putting up chairs until I returned.  She had nearly finished cleaning by the time I came back.

"Would you like another drink Shaun?"  Sam flipped the neon 'OPEN' sign off, waiting for a reply.

"Sure, just a beer this time though."  I finished off his drink as Sam returned to the bar.

She grabbed herself a beer too and joined me on a stool on the other side of the bar.  "So what brings you in here so late?" She asked.

"Long, long night.  And an even longer story to go along with it."  I grabbed my beer and raised it up, "To deception and learning that those close to you might be complete strangers."

Sam raised her bottle with me before drinking and then speaking.  "Alrighty, Shaun-o,  spill the beans. What happened tonight? I've never seen you like this before.  You're not happy enough to drink a lot, but not too depressed to drink too much."

"Like I said, Sammy, it's a long story."  I took another drink.

"C'mon Shaun; we've known each forever.  What's going on?" Sam set her beer down and turned to me.  The look on her face begging me for an answer.

"I can't tell you right now Sammy."  I paused as I remembered my meeting with the Commissioner the next day. "Look, I'll fill you in tomorrow night Sammy; I promise.  I just have to get a few things figured out first."

Sam couldn't put her finger on what was wrong with me, but she knew that something was up.  "Call me when you get everything straight, Ok?"

I nodded.  I placed a twenty on the bar and grabbed my clothes to leave.

"Hey, just leave those.  You've got more at home right?  I'll make sure they get cleaned and get them back to you tomorrow.  You need some rest Shaun-o."   I reluctantly put the clothing down and headed for the door.  "Let me give you a ride home Shaun.  You shouldn't be driving, not how you are."

I paused while Sam caught up with me.  "You're a great friend to me, one I'm grateful to have everyday."

The two of us walked out of the bar and climbed into Sam's car. She drove me to my building and walked me to the door. "Take care of yourself Shaun.  Get some sleep, things will be better tomorrow. Call me when you wake up and I'll bring your car to you so you can make your meeting."

I stumbled into my apartment at about 5:00am.  It was a pleasant little apartment.  There was one bedroom, a bathroom, and combined living room/kitchen.  The walls were plain white that had turned to an off-white and  yellowish tone over the years. The carpet had seen better days, so I had gotten a rug to cover up the worst parts. 'What a day', I thought to myself as I moved to the bathroom and worked on making my way to the bed, or at least close to it. I took half a step into the doorway of my bedroom and collapsed on the floor in a heap.



© 2013 Gene Fredderick


My Review

Would you like to review this Chapter?
Login | Register




Share This
Email
Facebook
Twitter
Request Read Request
Add to Library My Library
Subscribe Subscribe


Stats

130 Views
Added on August 1, 2013
Last Updated on August 9, 2013


Author

Gene Fredderick
Gene Fredderick

La Crosse



About
22. Fiction writer. I don't know what genre I write exactly because I don't want to label my writing incorrectly. I like to leave it up to the reader to choose simply between whether the like it or.. more..

Writing
Unreality Unreality

A Chapter by Gene Fredderick