Across the Bay

Across the Bay

A Chapter by Gene Fredderick

The old grandfather clock chimed 3:00pm by the time Sam and I stopped at the bar to pick up Sam's car.  Sam went in to check on Shayla and make sure everything was running smoothly.  She thanked Shayla again for switching shifts with her and returned outside where I was waiting.

"Everything going alright in there?" I asked as Same came walking out.

"Yeah, actually it's going really smoothly." Sam smiled. "She's picking things up really quickly, it's great."

"I'm glad to hear. Maybe you'll be able to stop bartending and pursue your writing more seriously." I turned to get back into my car.

"Yeah," she laughed. "Maybe. In the meantime, do you wanna grab something to eat?"

"Sure, I've got all the time in the world... So to speak." I shook my head in disbelief of the recent goings on in my life.

"You look like you could use the distraction anyway."

"You're not wrong about that." I smiled. "So, where are we headed?"

"Let's go over to Thurston Bay. They have a really good steak place there." She got into my car.

"That sounds perfect." I said as I slid into the driver's seat."

We began driving and my mind began wandering, trying to find Veronica. After about 15 minutes I drifted back to reality.

"You're too quiet Shaun. Are you alright?"

"Yeah, just thinking as usual, you know."

"So, what are you gonna get to eat?" Sam asked to abruptly change the subject.

"Oh probably a nice T-bone steak, with a baked potato, and..." My voice trailed off as I watched a black and grey Ford truck drive passed.

I just stopped talking and watched. It was as if I was paralyzed. My lips and jaw were frozen, sitting there agape. My eyes could see who the driver of the truck was, but my mind would not accept it as the truth.

No, it told my eyes, that isn't her. It is just someone who looks like her. I blinked my eyes a few times to make sure I was awake. That has to be her. You know it is. My mind continued to argue with itself over what I had just seen. It couldn't have been. It makes no sense. Where would she have even gotten a truck?

These were valid points so I tried to shrug it off as my eyes seeing what I wanted to. I placed my attention back on the road and tried to seem normal. Once again, Sam wasn't falling for it.

"What was that?" She asked as we entered Thurston Bay.

I shrugged. "I don't know, just a truck."

Sam shook her head. I knew she didn't believe me, but for some reason she dropped it anyway. This surprised me at the very least, but I was relieved she didn't pry any further. It took us another 5 minutes to reach the restaurant with the 'best steaks around'. We each ordered our meals and discussed what to do next about my situation with Veronica as we ate.

"I think it's best if we just wait and do nothing for now Shaun." She took a drink of her water while we waited for our food.

I shook my head and grimaced. "I don't like it, but I agree. Until the Commissioner tells us something, we have nothing."

Our food arrived as we were coming to the conclusion of our discussion. We ate quietly with little conversation. The food was delicious, as expected, and I asked for the bill once we were finished. When the bill arrived, Sam insisted that she pay it. I gave in after a few teasing remarks and demanded that I would leave the tip. Then it was back to my car and away to Langsey.

It took longer getting back to Langsey. There was a traffic jam on Highway 74. We could have taken the long way 'round on Highway QS, but Sam and I were content to wait. I was certainly in no hurry to return to a town which seemed all too foreign to me now; Sam wasn't exactly eager to get to work either. Nonetheless, we did eventually return to Langsey. I dropped Sam off back at the bar before heading for home.

I arrived home at around 7:00pm. I debated going to see the Commissioner at his office again, but thought better of it. I grabbed a beer and flipped on the television to see if there was anything of interest on. There wasn't, but I did find a rugby game on one of the sports channels so I decided to watch that. I dozed off around 8:30pm and only slept for a couple hours.

My phone rang just as I was moving out of one dream and into another. I was jolted awake from the sudden noise and was relieved to find that it was just my phone.

"Hello?" I answered groggily.

"Hey, it's Sam. Did I wake you up?"

"Yeah, but it's alright. I just dozed off watching t.v." I wiped my eyes and walked into the kitchen.

"I'm sorry, I just wanted to check-in and see how things were."

"Things are okay. Just trying to relax and void my mind of the recent happenings." I sighed and filled a glass in the sink.

"Well you're doing as well as I can hope I guess."

"Yeah." I took another drink. "I'm trying to hold it together. We'll see how long that lasts."

"I have faith in you Shaun. And I'll do whatever I can to help you out."

"Thanks Sam, you're a great friend."

"Anything to see you happy again! Well, I gotta go. Things are starting to pick up here."

"Have fun! Maybe I'll stop in later, help to keep my mind occupied."

"Sounds great! I look forward to seeing ya! Talk to ya later."

"Yeah, see ya soon." I hung up the phone and began channel surfing once again.



© 2013 Gene Fredderick


My Review

Would you like to review this Chapter?
Login | Register




Share This
Email
Facebook
Twitter
Request Read Request
Add to Library My Library
Subscribe Subscribe


Stats

112 Views
Added on August 11, 2013
Last Updated on August 11, 2013


Author

Gene Fredderick
Gene Fredderick

La Crosse



About
22. Fiction writer. I don't know what genre I write exactly because I don't want to label my writing incorrectly. I like to leave it up to the reader to choose simply between whether the like it or.. more..

Writing
Unreality Unreality

A Chapter by Gene Fredderick