Ainion's Love Story

Ainion's Love Story

A Story by Master of Fantasy
"

Ainion is the best friend of Prince Calanon of Orthorien, and he is in love with his older sister, Lady Calathiel, who is said to be the most beautiful being in Mystica.

"

And the large creature pounced upon Gaelen like a cat does to a mouse. Gaelen could only stare as this giant dragon brought his large red feet toward the ground with great power. Suddenly, Gaelen rolled out of the way as the creature’s feet slammed to the ground with a Boom! Gaelen stretched his arm as far as it could go, and finally felt his fingers grasp his sword. With an upward thrust, Gaelen threw the sword through the dragon’s chest just as it was in mid-pounce. The creature fell to the ground with a loud thud, and Gaelen stood up and dusted himself off. Then he ran to Gwendolyn and cut her loose. As they mounted Gaelen’s bay andalusian, Gwendolyn gave Gaelen a small kiss on the cheek. Gaelen felt his face go red. Then, they raced off into the distance. When Gwendolyn was safe at home, the queen asked Gaelen what he wanted as a reward.

‘My lady, I can only ask for your daughter’s hand in marriage.’ Gaelen answered, gazing at the beautiful princess. Luckily, the queen said yes, and they lived happily ever after. The End.” I was sitting in my room, leaning against the backboard of my bed reading a book that my best friend, Calanon, had given to me for my birthday last year.

 

            I set the battered book on my bookshelf half filled with books. There was a knock on the door and my friend, Prince Calanon, walked into the room. His gaze fell on me and he smiled.

“Hey, it’s time to eat.” He gestured to me to hurry. He was my army leader. Actually, he and his older sister, Calathiel, were the leaders of the whole entire Orthorien army! Luckily for me, I was second in command and I was also Calanon’s best friend. We’ve been friends since birth!

“What were you doing anyways?” Calanon asked me as we walked down the hall.

“Reading Fight for Love.” I answered, smiling. We laughed as we entered the large Dining Hall. The food smelled scrumptious.

 

            I sat down next to Calanon and we piled food onto our plates. The east door opened and Calathiel entered, carrying a tray filled with four teapots and balancing another with cups atop her head. Her younger sisters, Saerwen and Caladwen, were also carrying trays of teapots. I stood up and strode over to help Calathiel carry things. When I removed the tray from the top of her head, she smiled at me gratefully. I set a cup at each seat, and the girls set three teapots on each of the four tables. Then Calathiel sat down in front of Calanon.  She picked up her fork and started eating. Calanon poured himself a cup of tea, which was a deep brown, and took a small sip. His face was plastered with amazement.

 

            “Whoa! New recipe?” Calanon asked. Calathiel nodded, her mouth full of food. She swallowed and took a sip of the piping beverage.

“This time I made it out of, let’s see, well, the herbs like normal, water obviously…” she twisted her face in thought. “Oh! Bark from one of the Silverwood trees, and sap from a Silverwood tree!” she finished. I poured myself a cup and sipped a small amount. Boy, was it good! I felt all the tension in my muscles disappear! After supper, Calanon and I talked while we sat under the stars. Suddenly, there was the sound of clattering hoof steps, and a lone figure upon a horse galloped into view. It was Prince Thorontur of Beriadwen, Calanon’s cousin!

 

            The elf dismounted from his sweating white horse, and strode forward to greet his cousin. The embraced in a hug, and he shook my hand.

“Calanon, we need your army at Beriadwen, fast!” Thorontur explained. “One of our scouts overheard a few Orzacks talking about a plan to attack Apsa Arta!” Calanon was astonished.

“How many?” he asked quietly.

“We heard them mention five thousand strong, but maybe more!” Thorontur shook his head sadly. “We need help.”

“We’ll leave tomorrow.” Calanon agreed.

 

            The next morning, the army was at the borders of the forest. Calanon was speaking to Calathiel.

“Are you sure you want to come with?” he asked.

“Yes! I’m sure!” Calathiel replied irritably. Then we set off toward Beriadwen. A few days later, we reached the borders of the large forest. It was late evening, so we slept on the edge of the trees. The other army didn’t appear until the next afternoon. Calathiel had slipped a large golden helmet upon her head, hiding her identity. When the army appeared, five elves stepped forward.

 

            “Who is your leader?” the first one asked. His blonde hair rippled and his voice was strong. I glanced down and noticed Calathiel and Calanon were walking forward. Calanon removed his helmet.

“I am Calanon, son of Herroh, nephew of Ostiel.” He bowed and nudged Calathiel, who did an awkward little bow. I muffled a laugh. She was more used to doing a curtsy!

 

Calathiel leaned in toward her brother and whispered to him. “My friend here says we should keep moving if we want to reach Apsa Arta before the goblins.” Calanon translated for the others. He whistled a piercing note, and their horses, an andalusian named Dancer and a mixed breed named Windchaser stepped forward and they hopped on. I patted my own stallion, Comet, affectionately.

 

           

 

            “Do you need horses?” Calanon asked suddenly. The others nodded and Calathiel galloped away on Windchaser, using no saddle or bridle, as it is with the way of our riding. She returned about half an hour later, five horses following close behind. These did have tack because the elves of Beriadwen aren’t known for how well they ride. Calathiel led a horse to each of the five elves that had stepped forward. Then she mounted her own and we headed out. After a while, Calathiel turned and rode near the back with the Beriadwen elves.

“Calathiel!” Calanon yelled. He shook his head and sighed.

 

            I sidled over to my friend.

“What happened?” I asked, setting one hand on his shoulder.

“Oh, we were just arguing. She is SO independent.” Calanon answered, glancing up at me. Suddenly, I heard the sound of thundering hooves. I glanced back. The other leader, Erudraith, was galloping forward, a look of sheer fright on his face.  Then, Calathiel galloped forward and grasped the horse’s reins. She ran beside the horse and slowed him to a stop. Then she removed the tack, setting it on her own horse’s back and mounted the sweating horse. She loped up to us and laughed.

 

            “Oh my! Wonder really can be a pain!” she chuckled. We all laughed. Wonder, which is the horse she was riding now, could be pretty feisty. Calanon rode over to the other group about two hours later. I stared at Calathiel. She smiled, and we talked. I was so surprised at how easy it was to speak with her! It was at that moment that I noticed something. Each time I spoke with her, my heart would beat faster. I had just thought… maybe… maybe I’m in love. Is this what it felt like?

 

            Calanon rode forward and held up his hand, indicating to stop. We all stood stone still. Calanon rode to the back as Calathiel let our horses go. I walked around, near the end of our army and sat down to think about what I was thinking about earlier. After a while, I finally reached the conclusion that I was right. I think I was in love! Then I heard voices behind me, and noticed the horses galloping away. I turned around. A brown haired elf returned from chasing the horses.

 

            “They’ll come back. They always do.” I laughed. The five Beriadwen elves stared at me. I reached into my pack and pulled out a package. Inside were pieces of meat. “Want some?” I offered. They accepted graciously. “I’m Ainion, second in command officer.” I introduced myself. I watched as their expressions turned from quizzical to amazement. They stared at me. “It’s Silver Stag meat.” I explained. “A small slice can fill your stomach!”

I learned that their leader was Erudraith, and his sister, Nellethiel, was second in command. The others were Ningannel, Eruanna, and Gwaildir; the elf that had ran after the horses. They walked off.

            After a while I decided to find a place to sleep. I wandered around, greeting other friends too. Then I stumbled upon Erudraith and his friends.

“Can I stay over here? There’s no more room anywhere else.” I smiled and they scooted over. I was just about to retrieve my supplies when Erudraith asked me something that made my heart leap.

“Hey, can you tell us anything about Calanon’s friend?” he asked. My smile fell. I couldn’t give Calathiel’s identity away!

 

            “He, well…” I didn’t like calling her a he. “He’s a good fighter.” I forced a smile on my face and quickly retrieved my bag and sat down with them. I glanced up at the sky. The stars were already twinkling feebly. I sighed and set out my bedding. Everyone else did the same. I made a small fire, and we lay down next to the heat of the warm orange light. I lay staring at the stars while I thought of Calathiel and her beautiful radiance. To me, she shone like the sun. I fell asleep, good dreams swimming through my mind.

 

            I woke up to a strange noise, but placed it quickly. I pushed my covers out of the way. Just as I was sitting up, Nellethiel turned.

“Where are you going?” she mumbled.

“To get more firewood.” I lied. Well, okay, it wasn’t a total lie, because I’d do that later. I stood up and followed the sound to a small creek. Calathiel was sitting at the water’s edge, singing to herself. I quietly sat beside her, and she glanced up at me surprised. I smiled, and began a new song.

In a little meadow, in between the trees…” I began. Calathiel began singing with me, her voice like bells. “I saw a bunch of rabbits as sweet as sweet could be. They jumped high they jumped low. They jumped high, they jumped low, to and fro.” We sang the ancient elven lullaby together our voices mixing to create perfect harmony. After a while, we finally headed back to bed. As I passed Calanon, I noticed he was awake.

 

            “Was that Calathiel?” he asked me. I nodded.

“Then I sang with her.” I added. Calanon smiled.

“You are a great singer!” he smiled his brotherly smile. I always felt that we were close enough to be brothers. I returned to bed and fixed the fire, then snuggled down in my warm covers. I fell asleep, humming the lullaby to myself. The next morning, I woke up early. The air was cool and crisp. There were only a few others awake, including Calanon and Calathiel. I stood up, grasped my bow and arrows and walked over to them. I sat down.

“Good morning!” I whispered so I wouldn’t wake anyone else. We talked for a bit and Calanon and I decided to hunt this fine morning. The sun was just peeking over the hills, casting a beautiful light upon the ground.

 

            Our arrows hit the creatures perfectly. I walked back carrying three rabbits and Calathiel, Calanon, and I talked. When the sun was all the way up I decided to return to the others.

            When I returned, I was smiling for who knows what reason. Eruanna stared at me.

“What are you so happy about?” she asked me suspiciously.

“Today is going to be a good day!” I replied, still smiling. “I hope.” I thought to myself. I glanced up and noticed Calathiel beckoning to me. I nodded and stood up. I strode over to her. She handed me a small sack.

“Here. There are six of THE cookies.” Calathiel whispered. I nodded graciously. I returned to the group.

 

            “These are the best cookies in Orthorien!” I exclaimed, passing them around. “Lady Calathiel must have sent them!” From the corner of my eye, I noticed Calathiel blush and she turned toward Calanon.

“Lady Calathiel?” Erudraith asked. “Isn’t she Calanon’s older sister?”

“Yes she is.” I smiled. “She’s a wonderful singer and I actually kind of like her. She’s really pretty in my opinion.” I chewed the sweet golden cookie thoughtfully. I stared at the girls. “Not that you’re not pretty too.” I added quickly. Everyone laughed.

 

            After many days, we FINALLY reached Apsa Arta. We marched to the Western side of the city. In the distance (no surprise) we could get a glimpse of the Orzacks. So we met them farther away from the city. A raging battle continued for three days! For some odd reason, they retreated every night and attacked every morning. On the third day, the Orzacks were in vast swarming masses. Everyone fought hard, until only one Orzack was left. The Orzack slowly made his way toward Calanon. I could only watch horrorstruck, as I witnessed this event. I was too far away to do anything! The Orzack lunged at him and knocked him off balance, piercing his shoulder.

 

            As the Orzack stood to make the final blow, there was a loud and piercing scream. Calathiel, in a golden blur, raced forward and slew the Orzack, dropping to Calanon’s side. She removed her helmet, and kissed the top of his head. I noticed Erudraith and his friends’ faces were of utter surprise.

“Hold on, Calanon. I’m here.” She soothed, tears running down her fair face. “I’m here.” She grabbed his hand and sobbed.

“I knew you’d be here my friend.” Calanon whispered, his voice unusually hoarse. His face tightened in pain. Calathiel glanced up at me. I was taken aback. I hadn’t noticed sadness like that in my life! Her eyes were filled with tears, and her eyes were so sad, I had to glance down.


            “Help me Ainion! We need to get him somewhere safe!” Calathiel pleaded. What could I do? I had to help my best friend out! I lay down a few blankets and carefully nestled Calanon inside, trying to keep him warm.

 

 

            I wandered over to Erudraith and his friends.

“You, my friends, are looking upon the Lady of Light, Lady Calathiel.” I breathed the words out carefully. “She is the light of our people. Not many outsiders get to see her face.”

“Ainion!” she cried desperately. “We need to get him home! FAST!” she broke into a fresh stream of tears and I stood up. I grabbed Calathiel’s hand and pulled her up. I whistled a single note. A copper colored horse raced forward.

“Copperfield.” I explained to the group. “The fastest horse in Orthorien.”

 

            I quickly saddled up the sweet thoroughbred and let Calathiel clamber up. Then I gingerly set Calanon into the saddle and Calathiel held him tight. Then, Calathiel galloped off into the distance. Then as everyone was heading home, a thundering of hooves was heard. I spun around. One of our messengers, whose name was Daenethan, skidded his horse to a stop.

“Ainion, where’s Calanon?” he asked quickly and out of breath. I walked with him explaining everything that had happened.

“Well, you’d better hurry to Apsa Arta again. More are coming!” the messenger yelled as he rode away.

 

             I explained everything, and we ran toward the city again. We didn’t get a glimpse of the Orzacks till the next morning. The battle was tough, but then, out of the blue, another tragedy occurred. Erudraith was fighting an Orzack when the leader jumped on him from behind. The foul creature slew Erudraith, and I watched horrorstruck. Two of my friends were gone in one day. After a long job of fighting, the Orzacks finally retreated. But, no matter how hard we searched; we just couldn’t find Erudraith’s body.

 

            When we reached Orthorien, I noticed Calanon sitting upon the doorsteps, reading a book. He glanced up, threw the book down, and gave me a huge embrace. I was so glad that he was okay. We walked into the dining hall, and good smells wafted up from every corner. I sat down, and the door was opened. Calathiel walked in, eyes downcast. She glanced up, and her face was of surprise. She sat down and piled food upon her plate. As we ate, we talked, and I retold our last battle. Calathiel’s eyes filled with tears.

“Poor Nellethiel!” she cried.

 

            After supper, Calanon and I sat down under the bright stars. As we sat, we talked, and while we talked, we laughed. Then, the sound of singing filled the air. But, it sounded…sad! Calanon nudged me.

“Go on.” He smiled. I stared at him, surprised.

“How did you know I like her?” I asked. Calanon smiled mischievously.

“You think I don’t know what’s going on in my BEST friend’s mind?” he teased. I laughed and sprinted through the door.

            I followed the sound of the voice, but suddenly I couldn’t hear it any more. I pushed open a small door, and it led to a passageway. I followed it until it opened to a small path, which I followed. I had never noticed this part of the castle! Then, another song started, and I stumbled upon a small pool, and Calathiel was sitting by the edge. She glanced up at me. I was taken aback. Her eyes were full of tears!

“What’s wrong?” I asked, walking slowly toward her. She stood up.

“I… I should have sent someone else. Maybe Erudraith would still be alive.” She sobbed. I grabbed her hand and helped her sit down.

 

            “It’s all my fault!” she cried over and over. I sat at her side.

“It’s not your fault. It’s mine if it was anyone’s.” She stared at me, the moonlight glinting off of her tears. She fell into another fresh stream of tears. I felt bad for her. I slid closer and set my arm around her shoulders, holding her close. She leaned upon me, and cried. After what seemed to be forever, she finally stopped crying. I didn’t care how long she did. I just wanted to be there for her. She wiped her tear-streaked face with her arm and stood up. I rose to my feet, and she stared at me. I inhaled deeply. Then, staring into her eyes, I told her.

 

            “Calathiel…” I began. She stared at me with full attention. “I know how I feel, and I… I’m not scared to tell you that… for a long time… I love you.” I finished quickly. She stared at me, surprised.

“Really?” she asked me. I nodded. After a slight hesitation, she leaned over and gave me a quick kiss on my cheek. I was still holding her hand. I pulled her toward me, and we kissed, under the moonlight, by that small pool.

 

            We walked silently back to the castle. I led her to her room, and told her to have a good night. She nodded and soundlessly closed the door. I walked to my own room. I was surprised to meet Calanon waiting for me.

“How’d it go?” he asked, smiling. I smiled back.

“It went… well.” I answered.

“Did you… you know…” Calanon asked. I stared at him and grinned.

“Yes, we did.” I sat on my bed. Calanon still stood in the doorway.

 

            “Well, we’d better get to bed. I’m tired.” He stifled a yawn.

“Okay. Well, I’ll be up for a little longer.” I replied as Calanon walked away. I leaned over and pulled my favorite book out of the bookshelf. The battered book was only a year old! I opened it to the first page.

 

The horns sounded in the castle. Gaelen stared out of his small cottage as the queen’s procession wound its way through the crowded streets. Oh how he wished to be closer! But wait. Where was it headed? Gaelen shook his head and continued sweeping the dusty floor. Suddenly there was a knock on his door…” I just couldn’t concentrate.

 

I set the book down on the end table. As weariness took over me, I thought of tonight, and how great it was. I smiled as I fell into a dreamless sleep.

 

            About a month later, I was folding my clothes and whistling a tune when Calanon stumbled in, bewildered. I set the last shirt on the bed and stared at my friend curiously. His face was red as if he ran all the way from the borders as fast as he could.

“Orzacks… Close to Beriadwen…” he huffed, breathing heavily. I jumped to my feet, knocking over the laundry basket. I threw my pack on (I always have it prepared) and ran after Calanon. Soon, our army was marching toward Beriadwen. I couldn’t find Calathiel anywhere.

“Where’s Calathiel?” I asked Calanon. I got my answer soon enough.

 

            There was a loud rumbling, and in the distance, thousands of people and animals alike were marching our way! Calathiel was in the lead. After a few days, we noticed the Orzacks. But what scared me most was the leader. I pointed him out to Calathiel. She gasped and seemed forlorn. We finally reached Beriadwen the next day. Just as we arrived, the Beriadwen elves were just starting to swarm out of the trees like angry bees.

 

            Nellethiel glanced over to Calathiel and I, and Calathiel stared at me. We walked up to them.

“We should get going. We’re battling tomorrow, a few hours away. We’ve seen the army!” Calathiel reported, her eyes wide.

“Though their leader is… well… you’ll see.” I glanced down at Calathiel. Her smile had faded. “Let’s go.” The next morning, we reached the large battlefield. It was a rather cold and misty day. A light fog started rolling in from the east. Suddenly, a clinking and clashing sound could be heard. I craned my neck and, through the fog, I could glimpse the army.

 

            “Erudraith?” Gwaildir breathed in disbelief. “He became an Orzack?”

“Yes, I’m sorry to say.” I laughed ruefully. Suddenly, the horns blew, and the battle officially started. In the heat of the afternoon, under the sweltering sun, it happened. Arrows were flying, swords clanging, spears shaking, shields broken, and death filling the land. Then, being the only Orzack left, Erudraith (aka Erugluck) jumped out of the shadows, killing elves and men every which way. As I watched, Erugluck hurtled his sword at Calanon, and it pierced Calanon’s flesh. Calanon gasped in agony, then fell into unconsciousness. I ran forward with hopes of saving my best friend. I slammed my body into the unsuspecting Erugluck. But then, I felt a searing pain in my right shoulder. I glanced down and noticed blood staining my shirt. I fell, utterly exhausted. The last thing I noticed was Calathiel, Nellethiel, Eruanna, Ningannel, and Gwaildir killing Erugluck. Then I fell into nothingness.

 

            I woke up with the feeling of a cold, wet cloth dabbing my forehead. I stirred, and slowly opened my eyes. The pain seemed to have subsided, or it was gone. Right now, I couldn’t tell. At first I noticed two blurry shapes leaning over me. Then, as they became clearer, I recognized them as Calathiel and Calanon, who seemed to already have been healed. Then, I noticed my hand was clenched in someone else’s hand. I glanced down. Calathiel’s hand was hanging onto mine. Then I noticed I was in Orthorien.

“Did…did we win?” I uttered the words quietly. Calathiel’s head snapped up and Calanon smiled.

“Ask Calathiel.” He whispered. I sat up, and felt dizzy. Calathiel lay me down again. I put my hand to my head and felt that it was carefully wrapped.

 

            “Did we win?” I asked again. Calathiel stared at me, tears of joy falling off of her face.

“What do you think?” she asked smiling.

“Yes.” I sat up, slower this time. Calathiel helped me to my feet. I held her hands in my own. I stared at her beautiful face. After a slight hesitation, I asked her THE question.

“Calathiel…” I fell to one knee. “Will you… would you… Will you marry me?” Calathiel stared at me for a moment.

“Yes! She cried. “Yes!” I stood up and we embraced, and she cried happy tears. Then, we started singing the lullaby.

In a little meadow, in between the trees, I saw a bunch of rabbits as sweet as sweet could be. They jumped high they jumped low. They jumped high, they jumped low, to and fro.” Soon, everyone in the room sang the whole song in perfect harmony. Then we stared into each other’s eyes and then kissed.

 

Two Years Later

 

            “Well hi!” Calathiel cooed to the small child, a girl named Megilwen, lying in her crib. I cradled the other, the twin brother Megildur, in my arms. They were only two weeks old. I set Megildur into his crib and walked over to Calathiel.

“Megildur needs a change.” I smiled.

“Probably the most stinky part of the job.” Calathiel laughed. “Watch Megilwen.” As Calathiel headed to the other room, I bent down and kissed Megilwen’s small forehead. The twins had Calathiel’s brown hair, and Megilwen especially seemed like her mother. She was beautiful and strong, like her mother.  As Calathiel re-entered, Saerwen also walked into the room.

“Time to eat.” She informed us. “And don’t forget the twins.” We stared at her curiously as we walked to the Dining Hall.

 

 

            When we opened the door, we stared, open mouthed, and surprised. Everyone had decorated the hall for a BABY SHOWER! I glanced around bewildered. Suddenly I noticed Calanon… and Erudraith and his friends! I pulled Calathiel toward them. She smiled and handed Megilwen to Nellethiel who smiled as Megilwen cooed. I handed Megildur carefully to Erudraith. He stared at the child as if he didn’t know what to do. Calanon laughed and Erudraith set Megildur in Calanon’s outstretched arms.

It was so cool being my best friend’s brother-in-law! I knew I had chosen the perfect woman to be my wife.

 

            While we ate, we exchanged news. Erudraith and co. had travelled to Gwilwilethel and had even found treasure in Polen Goldur! Half of the stuff I’m going to tell you now I already knew because I live here! Calanon had been visiting his uncles often, and also had a job of watching over Orthorien. Calathiel and I, we were busy with tending to the sick and poor, healing wounded soldiers, and going to war ourselves. Now, we had to make even more time for the twins. We would be very busy.

 

AND WE LIVED HAPPILLY EVER AFTER!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
THE END!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

© 2016 Master of Fantasy


Author's Note

Master of Fantasy
Hey guys! I hope you like this! My friends like it, and i hope you do too!

My Review

Would you like to review this Story?
Login | Register




Featured Review

I'm always troubled when an author describes his own work as AMAZING even when it is!!! I consider myself as a bit of a Tolkien advocate since I did my special study on LOR and the Hobbit when I was at college, back in the 60s. Your work is wonderfully Tolkieny...

Posted 7 Years Ago


1 of 1 people found this review constructive.

Master of Fantasy

7 Years Ago

I'm sorry, that was a typo i just saw it now! I was half asleep as I wrote this haha



Reviews

My bad readers! I did NOT mean to write that it is amazing i'm terribly sorry!!!!!!!!!! I just get so tired, plus we were going to be late for a party for my friend.

Posted 7 Years Ago


I'm always troubled when an author describes his own work as AMAZING even when it is!!! I consider myself as a bit of a Tolkien advocate since I did my special study on LOR and the Hobbit when I was at college, back in the 60s. Your work is wonderfully Tolkieny...

Posted 7 Years Ago


1 of 1 people found this review constructive.

Master of Fantasy

7 Years Ago

I'm sorry, that was a typo i just saw it now! I was half asleep as I wrote this haha

Share This
Email
Facebook
Twitter
Request Read Request
Add to Library My Library
Subscribe Subscribe


Stats

141 Views
2 Reviews
Added on May 14, 2016
Last Updated on May 15, 2016

Author

Master of Fantasy
Master of Fantasy

About
I just started writing during the winter of 2014, and I love it. I write lots of Fantasy in a Tolkieny style. I believe in one true God, and I am a swimmer. A friend of mine gave me the nickname, Mast.. more..

Writing