Chapter 2

Chapter 2

A Chapter by Master of Fantasy
"

John finds four of the girls and they head to find the fifth.

"

“There are the stables.” Aldwyn pointed to the wooden building up ahead. “Remember, you’re looking for Summer. You’ll know her when you see her.”

            “And you?” John asked. “Where are you going?”

            “To get Mae.” He answered, pulling out his wand. “I should be back soon. And please be careful. Matthew could have spies around.” With that he and his mustang, Fandango, disappeared. John sighed and gave Ginger a pat on the shoulder.

            “Stay here.” He ordered, and walked into the stables. Inside was a flurry of excitement. People (mostly men) were leading their bison, cuddling their bison, brushing their bison, feeding their bison, or watering their bison. John even noticed one man removing armor from his bison. John noticed a group of four people talking and walked over.

 

            “Do any of you know where I can find Summer?” John asked.

            “Who’s asking?” one of them, who had blonde hair, asked.

            “My name is John.” John stammered. “I-I know A-Aldwyn.”

            “You do!” the blonde smiled. “Well, my name’s Summer, and this is Benjamin, Ethan, and Julia. What do you need?”

            “We need your help.” John explained. “We…are going to defeat Matthew.”

            “Matthew?” Julia asked. “Wow Summer, you’re dead meat.”

            “You battled Duransal.” Summer pointed out. “Anyways…sure, I’ll come. The last time I’ve been out of the city was two months ago!”

 

            “Ah, Summer!” Aldwyn’s voice laughed. “John, I must go get the princess…but here are Tara and Mae.” John turned around and caught the eyes of two girls standing behind his old mentor. Behind Tara (he knew who she was because of her ears) was a large, brown bear. And behind Mae was a dapple grey arabian.

            “Aldwyn…” Tara glanced up at him. “We’re traveling to where?”

            “First Orthorien.” Aldwyn explained. “It is known as one of the safest places in Mystica.”

            “All right?” Mae smiled. “But what are we even doing?”

            “John will explain.” Aldwyn answered. “But now I must go get Kristi. I will be back soon.” Then he disappeared again.

            “So…what are we doing?” Tara asked, stepping forward. The bear followed. John jumped back. Tara laughed. “It’s fine. Ollie’s safe. He’s my pet.”

           

            “Why do you have a pet bear?” Summer asked.

            “He dances when I make music.” Tara shrugged. “Here.” She reached into her bag and pulled out a little green hat. The bear grabbed it and clumsily placed it on his head. Then Tara hummed a not and the bear stood on its hind legs. The bison started getting worried. Then Tara started singing Go and Catch a Falling Star. As she sang, the bear danced to the tune. When Tara was finished, Ollie clapped his furry paws and took the hat off.

 

            “Okay…” John glanced at Mae. “What’s your horse’s name?”

            “Pepper.” Mae answered. “She’s a bit feisty.”

            “Nothing I couldn’t handle.” Benjamin scoffed.

            “What is your bison’s name?” Mae asked Summer.

            “Um…Brian.” Summer blushed. “It wasn’t my idea.”

            “Nope. It was mine.” Ethan announced proudly.

 

            “What’s your pet?” Tara asked John.

            “A cow.” John answered flatly. “Her name is Ginger.”

            “You ride her?” Benjamin asked, leaning against the wall. John nodded.

            “And I can get milk from her.” He added.

            “I’m back!” Aldwyn called. “And I have Kristi too. Come on outside, and we can get going!”

            “Bye guys!” Summer waved to the other three riders. They waved back and they ran out of the stable.  One they were in the bright sunlight, John got a good look at the girls.

 

            Summer wore the usual Duranian garb: buckskin pants and shirt, a few beaded necklaces (They would trade beads for other goods), moccasins, and leather gloves. Her hair was pulled back into a braid that was thrown over her shoulder.

 

            Tara wore an elegant emerald elven dress. Its sleeves nearly brushed the ground and the cream colored lace gave it a more filling look. Her blonde hair was pulled back behind her ears and held up with a stylish hair clip. Her boots were elven leather: light, yet tough.

 

            Mae wore a white tunic that was stained with dirt and brown breeches. Her boots were a heavier material than Tara’s, but they were good for all the riding she did. Her darker blonde hair was pulled into a messy looking bun.

 

            Kristi seemed rather elegant, yet her clothing choices seemed travelable. A silky light blue dress was decorated with white pearls and lace. She was wearing black boots with gold embroidery. Her hair was a strawberry blonde, and she wore it in a strange looking braid in the back. Behind her stood…a tiger.

           

            “Let me guess.” John sighed. “Your pet?” Kristi smiled.

            “Her name is Layla.” She explained. “Don’t worry, she only attacks on command.”

            “Good.” John gave a sigh of relief. He then stared remorsefully at his own clothing. His once white tunic was now browned from travel, and his boots were nearly worn through. His breeches had holes at the knees.

 

            “You can get some new clothes when we get to Orthorien.” Aldwyn patted John’s back, reading his mind. “For now, we must move. We are pressed on time.”

            “Could you teleport us?” Tara asked.

            “With all your animals, I cannot.” Aldwyn shook his head. “But it is only 100 miles from here to the forest.”

            “Only 100 miles?” Tara screeched.

            “I ride all over Mystica to help people.” Summer shrugged. “I don’t really care.”

            “Same.” Mae nodded. “And I have to ride through the Taurion Mountains.”

 

            “Hurry, Aldwyn’s leaving!” Kristi called, sliding upon Layla’s back. The others mounted their animals and they headed to The Forest of Light.

 

            “Aldwyn…” John stared up at the tall trees that were in front of them. “How do we get to the castle?”

            “I don’t know.” Aldwyn grinned sheepishly. “But the elves may be able to help us.”

            “How do you know they will?” Summer asked.

            “We have one of their kin.” Aldwyn answered. “So they should help us.”

            “Well, let’s go!” Tara grinned and started running into the forest.

            “Tara! Wait!” Aldwyn called, but she was already deep inside. They ran after her, but stopped what was that noise? It was a scream.

            “Tara!” Summer called


© 2016 Master of Fantasy


My Review

Would you like to review this Chapter?
Login | Register




Share This
Email
Facebook
Twitter
Request Read Request
Add to Library My Library
Subscribe Subscribe


Stats

126 Views
Added on May 18, 2016
Last Updated on May 18, 2016


Author

Master of Fantasy
Master of Fantasy

About
I just started writing during the winter of 2014, and I love it. I write lots of Fantasy in a Tolkieny style. I believe in one true God, and I am a swimmer. A friend of mine gave me the nickname, Mast.. more..

Writing