Chapter 1

Chapter 1

A Chapter by Master of Fantasy
"

An account of how John learns of Matthew's wicked deed.

"

Icy fingers held fast to his shoulders. The man could hardly move. No matter how hard he struggled, he couldn’t escape. He felt the grip loosen, but he was tied to the chair. A small lamp was turned on, and a figure in a black robe stood before him. The figure removed its hood to reveal a young teenage boy with rather messy blonde hair. His eyes watched the man rather restlessly. The man felt something moving around beneath his legs. A light hiss indicated the snake, waiting to strike.

            “What do you know of the Amulet of Ahskahala?” the younger boy asked, his voice smooth and icy.

            “I don’t know what you’re talking about.” The man replied, staring straight at the boy.

 

            “Honestly?” the boy asked, staring straight into the man’s great green eyes. “You’re lying.”

            “Last I saw of it, I sold it to a girl. I don’t know her name. Does that help?” the man winced as the snaked rubbed against his bare ankle.

            “What did she look like?” the boy asked in return.

            “I don’t know.” The man answered truthfully. “She wore a cloak. Her voice was soft and angelic, almost elven even.” The boy stopped pacing and glanced at him.

           

“Oh, that's just great.” He muttered. “Just what I need. A mysterious elf has her hands on the amulet. Now what?” he turned to the man. “I have no use for you anymore.” The man gave a sigh of relief. “Xibalba?” The snake slithered out from beneath the man’s feet. He jumped when he noticed it was a cobra. “Kill him.” He then smiled wickedly at the man. “Know this. I am the last name you’ll ever hear again. It’s Matthew.” Then he left, the man’s agonizing screams filling the dark castle.

 

            The cows stood in the small corral, slowly eating the hay that was thrown inside not too long ago. The boy clambered over the fence and walked over to the well. He pulled up a bucket of fresh water and poured it into the water trough. He did that numerous times until the water trough was filled.

            “My work here is done.” He thought. He entered his small cottage and started a warm fire in the kitchen. As he prepared his breakfast, there was a knock on the door. The boy opened it in surprise. “Ransley!” he cried, shocked. “What are you doing here? You don’t bring the mail till noon!”

            “Oh John.” The neighbor boy sighed. “I have a message for you, and it looks urgent.” He handed an envelope to John.

 

            “Well, it does say urgent.” John agreed.

            “Are you going to stand there all day, or are you going to open it?” Ransley asked. John grinned, then glanced back at the envelope.

            “It’s from Aldwyn!” John gasped. “It must be bad.” He ripped open the letter. All it said was: Another one dead. Meet me at The Green Pine Inn in Urkan Barun. Please be there at six o’clock Friday the eighteenth. Please hurry, for I have urgent business to discuss with you. Signed, your lifelong friend and mentor, Aldwyn.

            “The eighteenth?” Ransley asked in disbelief. “That only gives you two weeks!”

            “I can’t get there in two weeks if I walk.” John groaned. “How will I get there? I don’t have a horse!”

            “But you have cows.”

 

            “Whoa, Ginger.” John pulled the jersey cow to a stop. “The Green Pine Inn.” He read. “I guess this is the place.” He glanced around for a place to tie up his cow. There was a hitching post with four horses tied up to it. John shrugged and quickly tied the cow up. He then stepped into the inn. It wasn’t the most beautiful, though everything was made out of pine. The air smelled heavily of ale, and as John walked in, he noticed many people eating and talking. For a moment, he forgot the whole reason he was even there, but then noticed an old man sitting in the corner. John smiled and hurried over.  

           

            “He’s struck again?” he asked, sliding in across from the man. The old man glanced up and smiled.

            “Ah, John.” He laughed. “You’re always there when I need you.” John smiled.

            “So, what’s this urgent news?” he asked. Aldwyn sighed.

            “I found that Matthew is after the Amulet of Ahskahala.” Aldwyn whispered.

            “Um…what is that?” John asked. Aldwyn stared at him for a moment.

            “Did you forget what I taught you?” he asked.

 

            “Aldwyn, I’ve been a farmer for five years now. Your wizarding teachings have not had any use.” John answered.

            “Not any use?” Aldwyn asked. “Why, our magic is powerful. Indeed, you don’t have to use it at the farm, but don’t forget what you have already learned.” He stopped for a moment. “Does anyone know you’re a wizard?”

            “Only my neighbor, and closest friend, Ransley.” John shrugged. “But no, no one else does.”

            “Good. Now, John, let me tell you something.” Aldwyn leaned in. “Your magic was meant to do good. Do not use it for evil intentions like Matthew.” John nodded.

           

            “Now, about the urgent business…” Aldwyn folded his hands and set them on the table. “I think it’s time to…”

            “Hold on.” John interrupted. “You never told me what the Amulet of Ahskahala is.” Aldwyn grimaced and leaned back in his chair.

            “It is an amulet that was once worn by Lady Ahskahala of Orthorien. She was Lady Calathiel’s best friend and, if she was still alive, sister-in-law.”

            “How’d she die?” John asked quietly.

            “Once, she was wearing the amulet on her way to see her cousin in Beriadwen. She was attacked so quickly, she had no chance of saving herself. That’s where a greedy man found it and sold it. It was sold from merchant to merchant, until someone found what it truly was. It took many years but I found that a lady known as Willow now owns it.” Aldwyn glanced at John.

            “But what does the amulet do?”

            “It’s very powerful and has the power to take over the world.” Aldwyn’s face was all serious.

 

            “Okay. You can return to your urgent business topic now.” John sat comfortably in his chair ready to listen.

            “Well, I think that it is time to get rid of Matthew once and for all.”

            “What?” John asked. “Aldwyn, I’m sorry, but that’s crazy! Even us two together can’t stop him!”

            “Just listen.” Aldwyn ordered. “Here, this is a list of people who I know can help us.”

            “They’re all girls.” John grumbled, scanning the list. “Hey! That Willow girl is on here.”

            “She’ll be the hardest to find.” Aldwyn nodded. “She’s very mysterious…and has been surviving in the wild for years.”

           

            “A princess?” John asked. “You have to be kidding. Princesses are prissy, and pretty, and can’t go on adventures.”

            “Princess Molly.” Aldwyn stated. “Princess Molly travelled with Joy Mehlhoff twice.”

            “Joy Mehlhoff, the most powerful wizard in Mystica?” John asked. “Why don’t we get her to help?”

            “Because, she’s busy with school now. The Valinore Heights has become very popular, and she is swimming in paperwork.”

           

            “Anyways, this isn’t Princess Molly.” John pointed out. “This is the princess of Arrowell, Princess Kristi.”

            “What does it matter?” Aldwyn asked. “She’s a very brave, spunky girl. And she’s very smart too.”

            “All right.” John sighed. “But what about this Summer girl? What does she do?”

            “She is a Duranian Mounted Rider.” Aldwyn answered. “She rides a bison like all of the other riders. That will come in handy.”

            “I guess…” John was very skeptical.

           

            “What about Mae?”

            “A rider from Rohirrid.” Aldwyn smiled. “She’s very good, and she has lots of war and horse experience.”

            “And Tara?”

            “An elven girl form Musica.” Aldwyn explained. “We should be able to find her anywhere where there is music.” John sighed.

            “Is there any guys?”

            “Not that will work as well as these. I know them all, except for Willow. But I know she knows Princess Calathiel of Orthorien.”

            “Well then, we’d better find these…girls.”



© 2016 Master of Fantasy


Author's Note

Master of Fantasy
Please enjoy! What do you guys think? Any constructive criticism will be appreciated, just please ignore any grammatical errors you may find.

My Review

Would you like to review this Chapter?
Login | Register




Share This
Email
Facebook
Twitter
Request Read Request
Add to Library My Library
Subscribe Subscribe

Advertise Here
Want to advertise here? Get started for as little as $5

Stats

89 Views
Added on May 16, 2016
Last Updated on May 16, 2016


Author

Master of Fantasy
Master of Fantasy

About
I just started writing during the winter of 2014, and I love it. I write lots of Fantasy in a Tolkieny style. I believe in one true God, and I am a swimmer. A friend of mine gave me the nickname, Mast.. more..

Writing