Drill #1 (Disconnection)

Drill #1 (Disconnection)

A Story by Carissa Marie

I reached for my phone and dialed for your number. 
"The subscriber cannot be reached..." someone answered. 
I ended the call dejectedly as I stared at your name on my phone. I was expecting it. It had been too long. 
I wasn't even sure if you still used the same number, but I had to try. 
I took out the box I saw earlier and put it in my lap. The box had been full of dirt and cobwebs when I found it under my bed and I had to wipe it clean of the grime. Memories flashed through my mind as I saw our names printed at the cover. It was written in clumsy scrawls of crayons, obviously by kids. I opened the cover to reveal a photo of two smiling-faced girls. One had a long straight hair with full bangs and the other had messy wavy locks. It was taken by the playground of a school, and below it were the words "BEST FRIENDS FOREVER" signed by both our names. 
I placed it gently by my bedside table, beside the picture of me and another friend, and take out a few more items from the box. They were childish things. Pieces of crayons, beads, glitters, and more pictures of us. A piece of paper fell as I was examining the contents of the long forgotten box. It was a letter, addressed to me. 
"To the best-est friend in the world", it said. 
There were stickers pasted at the envelope and lots of hearts and stars drawings. I carefully lifted the flap of the envelope, hoping that whatever is in there is still intact. In it was a brown stationery with some cheesy friendship quotations. The stationery still had the faint floral smell of the scented paper and for a moment, I was amazed at how that survived the test of time. 
I read the contents of the never before seen letter. The author was telling the story of our friendship. You were telling me the story of our friendship. It started with the story of our first meeting. How you thought I was an awesome kid because I was surrounded with lots of friends, and how you wished to be my friend since then. I smiled at the thought. I could barely recollect the scene, but I vaguely remember you standing by the door watching me as I was playing with my classmates. The letter continued to tell our childhood - our first crushes, our sleepovers, and our secrets. Reading your letter made me feel like a kid again. 
I was laughing throughout your letter and at the recollection of all our childhood moments until I reached the last paragraph. 
"Please don't forget about me. Promise me we'll be best friends forever", it read. Below it, you pasted a picture of us in a heart shaped background - we were laughing and hugging each other, as if we were inseparable. 
I felt a sharp stab in my heart as I was putting all our memories back into the forgotten box - leaving your letter and the photo of us by my bedside table.  
I reached for my phone again to dial your number, ever more hopeful for you to pick up. 
"Pick up. Pick up. Pick up", I kept saying like a chant. 
It rang for a few times until somebody finally picked up. 
"Hello?" a girl with a high-pitched voice answered. 
"Hey", I said with a sigh of relief as I recognized your voice.  
"Uhhh. Sorry but who's this? Do I know you?" you asked, not knowing who was on the line.
I caught a glance of the picture of the two girls falling from my bedside table before saying, 
"Sorry. I thought it was someone I knew"
I took one last look at the picture now lying on the cold tiled floor...
...and then I hang up. 

© 2015 Carissa Marie


Author's Note

Carissa Marie
So... I'm forcing myself to do some writing drills because my writings had become rusty. Sorry for the tenses errors.

My Review

Would you like to review this Story?
Login | Register




Reviews

Interesting story. I liked the way you ended it.

Posted 8 Years Ago


Carissa Marie

8 Years Ago

Thank you. :)
Was a interesting story. Left me with the need to know more. Nice set-up for the ending. Thank you Carissa for sharing the story.
Coyote

Posted 8 Years Ago


Carissa Marie

8 Years Ago

Thank you. :)
Coyote Poetry

8 Years Ago

You are welcome.

Nicely written! Clear and concise with compelling development. Will read more.

Posted 8 Years Ago


Carissa Marie

8 Years Ago

Thank you so much. :)

Share This
Email
Facebook
Twitter
Request Read Request
Add to Library My Library
Subscribe Subscribe


Stats

74 Views
3 Reviews
Rating
Added on July 29, 2015
Last Updated on July 29, 2015

Author

Carissa Marie
Carissa Marie

About
21. Female. AB Journalism. Philippines. :) Introvert. Weird. Over-thinker. Music lover. Bookworm. Frustrated Artist. Writing is my therapy. "Let my words be your own form of immortality" .. more..

Writing