Adagio: Chapter 2, It's always calm before

Adagio: Chapter 2, It's always calm before

A Chapter by Jason Knight
"

Nothing begins, and nothing ends, That is not paid with moan; For we are born in others pain And perish in our own. - Francis Thompson

"

“Mr. Knight,” said a rigorous female voice, “Are you listening Mr. Knight?”

Jason groaned. He didn’t have any appreciation for those who simmered him out of his state of pondering. He took an insolent look at the teacher, “No.” He said coldly.

“No?” echoed the teacher.

“No,” he sighed, as if disgusted at clarifying something that was completely obvious. “No, I was not listening, for that would require my full and undivided attention. I did however understand everything you said.”

“Then I suppose you wouldn’t mind reciting what you heard me say?”

“Not one bit,” said Jason in a smirk, he got up and faced the class in a single graceful move.

“Julius Caesar, Scene two: Caesar’s house: What can be avoided

Whose end is purposed by the mighty gods? Yet Caesar shall go forth; for these predictions

Are to the world in general as to Caesar.” He said, with the eloquence dripping from his mouth, like blood from a fatal wound. “And Calpurnia says: When beggars die, there are no comets seen;

The heavens themselves blaze forth the death of princes.” He smiled “Cowards die many times before their deaths; The valiant never taste of death but once. Of all the wonders that I yet have heard. It seems to me most strange that men should fear; Seeing that death, a necessary end, Will come when it will come.”

The teacher was very tense by now, obviously embarrassed at a failed attempt at embarrassing her student. Jason took a single glance at her and went to his chair, took his jacket, and headed for the door.

“Mr. Knight, class is still in session” said the teacher, her voice cracking at the end.

“I dare to disagree,” he said, and opened the door just as the school bell cried out in its alarming ring.

I, having no other choice, went along with him. The halls soon became a sort of alley, it was full of life, yet it had an air of mischief about it. I noticed Jason’s footsteps growing faster. He always could walk gracefully without ever losing confidence in any step. Yet his pace indicated that he wanted to get somewhere quickly. I had already learned from previous experiences, that peeking into specific minds in crowded areas required certain concentration, and I was in no real mood to concentrate. Yet we had arrived before I second-thought myself. We were in front of the central gym, one of the two gyms available in this school. He opened the door and we faced pure silence. He was heading towards the lockers, I could now tell easily from his thoughts that he was not aware of why he got here in the first place.

He washed his face in the icy water of the gym’s private restroom, one reserved for teachers, but he had enough props to do pretty much anything in this school. The entire frame of his body trembled, as I saw a single strip of silver mist swim around him. It was another flashback. And I was caught in it again, this time more prepared than the one from this morning. This flashback however, was different; it was a stream of memories… The emotions were too strong.

“Hear the cry of the forgotten, watch him put a face of confidence even though he’s utterly destroyed inside, look at him, what do you see?” I said. Or did I say that? It was so hard to think.

“A broken soul who was only crushed even more by the one he loved.” Said a voice, this time I was sure it was not mine, for it was her voice. I could always recognize that voice. And then it was gone.

I was going somewhere else, somewhere cold, somewhere wet. No, I was somewhere. I was running. I was running in the rain, the pain being incredible, I felt it through every fiber of my being. The night was then pierced by something that sounded like a battle cry, and I soon realized it was me yelling and now screaming.

“Why!?” said an enraged voice I recognized as my own, “Why are you letting me live!?” said my voice again, my body now halted and looking at the sky as if the stars were falling. “Why grant me life, when all I will ever be is a remnant!?” It was so cold. My lips were shivering along with my body. “Why must I be the one to bear such secrets that you have cursed and blessed me with!?” Something changed, I realized I was looking at the sky, but it was different, it was still raining, but the sky masked itself in an amber yellow. Then there was pain. There was a lot of pain. The pain was so great that my body crashed unto my knees, the impact being so hard that I heard something snap. Then the amber that had once consumed the sky was now shrouding my body, like cracks in a vacant desert. “Do you really think I deserve more pain? Or that the pain on my body would be greater than the one in my soul?” said my broken voice. “Why won’t you speak to me!?”

Then the pain was gone. The rain was gone. I had awoken just in time to see Jason slip on his jacket and leave out the door. I followed him.



© 2010 Jason Knight


Author's Note

Jason Knight

My Review

Would you like to review this Chapter?
Login | Register




Featured Review

The chapter was interesting. I like the history and the discussion. A lot of movement and action in this story. Better to not overdo the reader with a lot of events in one chapter. Spread them out so the reader can grasp each action. The story is moving very well. Thank you for sharing.
Coyote

Posted 14 Years Ago


1 of 1 people found this review constructive.




Reviews

The chapter was interesting. I like the history and the discussion. A lot of movement and action in this story. Better to not overdo the reader with a lot of events in one chapter. Spread them out so the reader can grasp each action. The story is moving very well. Thank you for sharing.
Coyote

Posted 14 Years Ago


1 of 1 people found this review constructive.


Share This
Email
Facebook
Twitter
Request Read Request
Add to Library My Library
Subscribe Subscribe


Stats

508 Views
1 Review
Rating
Added on April 20, 2010
Last Updated on April 20, 2010
Tags: adagio, book, jason knight, novel, chaper 2, it's always calm before, calm, before, the storm, storm


Author

Jason Knight
Jason Knight

Shippensburg, PA



About
I am art. I am alive. I am everything you dream of. I am part of all your nightmares. I am love, and I am hate. I choose life over death. I am you, I am me. more..

Writing