Chapter 3:Wise Words and Dwelling in the Past

Chapter 3:Wise Words and Dwelling in the Past

A Chapter by she who must not be named
"

After her memory nightmare, R�verna can't help but start thinking about what was, and now isn't.

"

I look out the tent window, and I see that it was almost sunset. I'm shocked to find out I’ve slept so long. I silently curse myself. I'm supposed to meet Lady Lenafuder, leader of Anqura, at sunset, which was fast approaching. Again, I thought about how glad I was elf, and was faster than humans. Here at the campsite,everyone is human. So am I. Or that's what everyone thinks I am. I devised a spell that made me look like a human (rounded ears, level eyes, and so on), but still have all the abilities of an elf. I can still run as fast as I used, jump as high, and just as strong as I was before. Actually, more. Everyday, if I have time, I go to this clearing where no human can get to. I practice my swordmanship there, and train. My father would have been proud.

 

I quickly exit my tent, and jog to Lenafuder's tent. It seemed like I was running, to the humans. Obviously, I couldn't run my proper speed, or people would be curious. Too curious. I got to the tent, and said, "Lady Lenafuder? Réverna requesting entrance."

After a while I get my response. "Permission granted. Enter."

I throw open the flaps, and curtised.

"Lady Lenafuder, you requested me?"

"Yes, I need you to go to Airé, and find out how many footmen there are,"

"Is that it, my Lady?" I ask, surprised at the small task.

"No, not really. I also requested you so I could promote you to head spy," About time, I thought. I had been gathering much information for almost 2 months. It had taken her long to actually appreicate my talents. Of course, I can't say that in her face.

"Thank you, Lady Lenafuder!" I reply, sounding like I was really pleased. "You're too generous!"

"You are young, but very talented," HA! As if she knew the true limits of my abilities! "You are dismissed,"

I curtsy, and I leave the tent. I head to the cook tents, hungry. I take some bread and I leave. I reach my tent, and I start laughing with the laugh that only elves can make. Luckily I had put spells that prevent people from hearing any sound within the tent. I finish my laughing fit, and I start packing my meager belongings. For some reason, Lenafuder never tells me when I have to go, just as long as I go. Usually, I go the day right after. I need the time to get provisions. This time I won't make any exception.

I finish packing, and I go to the cook tents. Fonod, a cook at the tents, gives me my provisions. He thinks we’re friends, but we’re not. Actually, I’m a friend to him, but he is merely an aquatinace to me. He is not too bad, but my past has made wary of everyone. I find it harder to trust people, and Fonod is one of the only people I can trust with what I do. No one I can trust with my past. No one. Except for one. But he is neither elf nor human. As I ask Fonod for provisions, I see his wolf-cat, Deciret, slinking around corners. While he gets my food, I kneel and start talking to Deciret. He is the only one I trust with my past. He doesn’t talk to anyone except Fonod and those he deems worthy. I’m proud to say, I have been deemed that way. He keeps secrets, and has wise words to say. I tell him about my dream, and he ponders it a bit.

"Do not dwell in what you can not change. Instead, think of the future, and act upon what you think is right," Deciret says, after awhile.

"Easier said, than done," I moan.

"Alas, as with all things it is true," he nods.

"Réverna?" That is Fonod.

"Yes?"

"Your food," He hands me the bag, and I thank him. I leave the tent, but not before thanking Deciret.

I lay awake on my cot that I made out of the bark of an oak tree. I’m scared of falling back into my memories, but sleep overtakes me. I’m lucky. No dreams badger me, although I can feel them on the edges of my consiousness.

I awake at sunrise and get dressed. I put on my trousers, which I would need for running. At the camp, I wear my dress so as not to arouse suspicion. I put everything in my shoulder pack, fold my cot and tent and put that in too. I leave, at first jogging at a steady pace, and the farther I get from camp, the faster I run. I keep running faster until I reach my limit. I maintain my pace for the rest of the day, stopping only at a lake to drink. At the end of the day, I settle down, unfold my cot, build a fire and cook the herbs and meat Fonod gave me. When I am satisfied, I lie on my cot and stare at the stars. I remember a night, long ago. My mother brang me out and showed me the constellations. I recite them to myself, Phoenix, Dragon, Wolf-cat, The Dancing Elf called Promisine. I blink away tears that threatned to fall out, and remember what Deciret said.

"Do not dwell in what you can not change. Instead, think of the future, and act upon what you think is right,"

 

I try to stop myself from such thoughts, and try to sleep. I can’t help but remember the time when Firénada had a sleepless night. She had said:

"Some people say that sleep is one of the easiest thing to do. I disagree. The more you try to sleep, the less sleep you get,"

 

I understand what she means now, as I struggle to get to sleep. Soon I give up, and start reciting an old elven poem.

As the elf gracefully dances at night,

 

Her raven black hair flowing in the wind,

The moon watches, while shedding it’s light

 

As the oblivous crickets start their song,

And the night animals come out to play,

The moon watches, it’s reign long

 

As the silent owl takes flight,

The chicks crying out for food,

The moon watches, all through the night

 

As the world of life begins to die

The inhabitants slowly disappear,

Still, the moon watches, and there it will lie

It’s a crude poem, but was one of the first that the famous Prolié had written. One of the only that was found from the midst of the terrible quake that had killed her and some of her works. It’s crude, but it does its trick.

Amazingly, I began to grow tired, and fortunately, I go to sleep. Unfortunately, last nights fears, came true.

The dreams came, again. This time, it was a lot worse

 

It’s been 2 and a half months since all that happened, yet I still feel the pain as fresh as it was at the beginning. I thought I hardened myself to this.



© 2009 she who must not be named


Author's Note

she who must not be named
I just copied and pasted it here, and I was too lazy to worry about INDENTSSSS!!

My Review

Would you like to review this Chapter?
Login | Register




Share This
Email
Facebook
Twitter
Request Read Request
Add to Library My Library
Subscribe Subscribe


Stats

137 Views
Added on July 1, 2009
Last Updated on July 7, 2009


Author

she who must not be named
she who must not be named

Canada



About
Name: Keep guessing!!! Age: As IF!!! I'll tell you, I'm not old enough to retire!! Why I'm here: Originally, I was here to read my friend's story, but I've decided to try writing for a change. I kin.. more..

Writing