Oceanic Six

Oceanic Six

A Chapter by Cari Lynn Vaughn
"

Aaron and Ji Yeon talk to Kate and James (AKA Sawyer)

"

Oceanic Six


They pulled up and parked in front of a nice two story home that was just a little older than Aaron. It had once belonged to Aunt Kate and Uncle Jack. But then Jack got his own apartment. Eventually, Kate and Jack left LA for parts unknown to rescue his mother. The house sat empty for a few months while they were away, but then Kate returned with Uncle James.


A tall slim woman with long dark brown hair answered the door when he rang the bell. She hugged Aaron and invited him in.


“This is Ji Yeon, Sun's daughter,” he said gesturing toward his friend.


“Oh my! You look just like them! So glad to finally meet you!” she cried embracing her as well.


“Who's here?” a voice called from the kitchen.


“Aaron and Ji Yeon.”


“Who?” the blond haired man asked. He entered the hallway with a beer in his hand. His hair was still as shaggy as it was when he first arrived back in LA, though he had a few more wrinkles now.


“Ji Yeon,” Ji Yeon replied. “Sun and Jin's daughter.”


“Son of a b***h! You went got all grown up!”


“Yeah,” she replied with a smile.


“Good to meet you. When I heard Aaron was talking to you, I wasn't sure what to expect.”


“I came out here as soon as I could. I wanted to meet Aaron and everyone.”


“Would you like to come in and sit down?” Kate asked. “Would you like a soda or a water?”


“Water is fine,” Ji Yeon said following Kate into the living room.


Ji Yeon and Aaron sat down on the couch next to each other and James sat in the chair across from them. “I am surprised your grandmother let you fly with your family history,” James commented.


“Yeah, she refused to let me come here last year. I had to wait until I turned 18 to book my ticket. I just hope she will still speak to me when I return.”


“I am sure she will. So what is it that you do? Are you out of school?”


Kate returned and handed each of them bottled water. Ji Yeon took the bottle and replied, “I just graduated. I am interning at Paik Industries later this year and then going to college to get my MBA.”


“Sun owned Paik Industries. Will you inherit any of it?” Kate asked as she sat down in a chair across from James.


“Yes, I already own the majority stock in the company. My grandfather runs the business as he had all the years my mother was growing up. He is old and looking to retire soon. In a couple of years I will have to decide rather to run the place myself or hire someone new to do it.”


“That is quite a responsibility,” Kate commented.


“It is.”

“But at least you are set for life whatever you decide,” James said taking a swig of beer.


“True. But I'd give all my money back for just one day with them,” Ji Yeon said solemnly.


“Yeah, I'm sure you would,” James said. “Both my parents died when I was young, so I know a little bit about that.”

“Were they in a plane crash too?” she asked.


“Oh no. My father shot my mother and then himself when I was just a boy. Spent some time with other family members an in foster care before I ran away. I drifted most of my adult life as well. It wasn't until I got back to LA back in 2007 that I finally settled down.”


“Has Aaron told you that his band got a record deal?” Kate piped up proudly.


“No, he hasn't!” Ji Yeon replied. “When did this happen?”


“Last week,” he replied.


“You'd think he inherited his ability from Charlie, except Charlie wasn't his biological father.”


“Who is Charlie?” Ji Yeon asked as she twisted open the water bottle cap.


“Charlie was the lead singer of Drive Shaft,” Kate beamed. “And a good friend Aaron's Mom.”


“Yeah, they met after the plane crash, but Charlie died while we were there,” James added. “He was a good guy. Died trying to get us all off that damn island.”


“What can you tell me about the island and my parents?” Ji Yeon asked.


“I can tell you that your parents were very happy to have you. They didn't think they could have kids. But then after we crashed your Mom found out she was pregnant. Your father couldn't have been more proud. He wanted to make sure she got home and had a healthy baby off the island. It was terrible that they got separated when we left,” Kate explained.


“You were part of the Oceanic Six?” Ji Yeon asked.


“Yes, it was Jack, Me, Sun, Sayid, Hurley and Aaron,” Kate replied. “Could have been the Oceanic Seven, but somebody had to jump out of that damn helicopter!"


“You were running low on fuel and I thought it was the best chance to save all of you. I don't regret the years I spent there, you know that. But I am glad to be back here with you well,” James said.


“What happened to the other's?” Ji Yeon wanted to know.


“Sayid died when we went back. He died trying to save us though. Jack died saving the island and the whole damn world. Your mother and father drowned, which tore us all up. It was a stupid and tragic death. Hurley, well he is still on the island.”


“But we can't talk about that,” Kate said. “Hurley is safe and happy is all you need to know.”


“Where is this island? Why is everyone so secretive about it?” Ji Yeon demanded.


“I told you,” Aaron said, “It was like magical or something and it's location needed protection. At least that is what my mother told me when I asked.”


“And she is absolutely right,” Kate said. “When we got back, we decided it was best not to mention it to the press or anyone. That is why the official story was that your mother died in a plane crash Ji Yeon. There would have been too many questions had we explained that she made it back to the island, but died when a bomb went off in a sub.”


“At least Widmore is no longer a threat. Ben saw to that,” James said.


“Who is Widmore?”


“Someone who sent a boatload of people to kill everyone on the island all the name of protecting it. Why he couldn't leave well enough alone, I don't know. But he is gone now. Desmond and Penny are running his company. Though I imagine their son Charlie will be taking over soon,” James explained.


“Can you tell me where the island is?” Ji Yeon asked eagerly.


“Nope, not even if I wanted to,” James replied.


“Who knows when it is,” Kate added.


“When?” Ji Yeon asked puzzled.


“You wouldn't believe me if I told you,” Kate smiled. “That is another reason we don't publicly talk about it. It all just seems so crazy.”


“Grandma said I was crazy when I told her I wanted to find the island my parents crashed on.”


“Don't go looking for it, whatever you do,” James said. “That place is nothing but trouble.”


“Yeah, it makes things way more complicated. I get a headache just thinking about all the lies we've had to tell to cover up the crazy truth. If we had told the truth though, everyone would have gone searching for the island and then everyone would have ended up dead. If you believe what Jacob said, we came close to the world ending because someone who was supposed to stay there so desperately wanted to leave.”


“And he left alright,” James chuckled. “Bought a one way ticket to the bottom of the ocean.”


“I still don't understand why Mom won't talk about any of this,” Aaron sighed. “Every time I bring it up, she tells me to let it go. You guys have told me way more than she ever did. She just keeps telling me to focus on my life here.”


“And you should,” Kate said. “You have a brilliant music career ahead of you. You should focus on that instead of chasing after some elusive story about the past.”


“All your mother ever wanted for you was a happy life,” James added. “Don't go screwing that up on some damn fool mission to figure out the past. What happened, happened.”




© 2014 Cari Lynn Vaughn


Author's Note

Cari Lynn Vaughn
Fan Fiction

My Review

Would you like to review this Chapter?
Login | Register




Share This
Email
Facebook
Twitter
Request Read Request
Add to Library My Library
Subscribe Subscribe


Stats

183 Views
Added on December 4, 2014
Last Updated on December 4, 2014
Tags: Lost, Kate Austen, Sawyer, James Ford, Aaron Austen, Aaron Littleton, Oceanic Six, Claire


Author

Cari Lynn Vaughn
Cari Lynn Vaughn

Mt Vernon, MO



About
Writing is not a hobby or career, but a way of life and way of looking at things. I've been writing seriously since I was 9 years old when I wrote, produced and starred in a play called "The Muggin.. more..

Writing