3

3

A Chapter by V.S.L.

       "Hey, babe," crooned the voice on the other end of the line.

       "Hey, A," I replied.

       "It's been a long time since we've chatted," she sped. I had forgotten how quickly people who don't live in Cali talk. I almost couldn't understand what she said.

       "I know. I'm sorry."

       "Don't be, babe. I've been busy too. So what's up?" She asked.

       "How would you like a house guest for the summer?" I asked.

       "Are you serious?" Alice squealed. "That would be amazing! Your mom actually agreed to let you cut the umbilical cord? I thought that would never happen."

       "A lot has changed," I informed her, careful not to tell her about my sickness even though I wanted to tell her everything like we used to.

       "You're not kidding. Let me ask real quick," she said before yelling to someone else, "Hey, can Krystal come stay with us for the summer?" She waited for a response before yelling back, "thanks, mom. You're the best! You can come," she said to me in a squeal.

        "I can't wait! I'll leave after lunch!"

        "See you soon, babe. Call me before you leave."

        "Will do," I said before hanging up. I started packing immediately.

       "I heard you scream," my mom said upon entering my room. "I assume that means you're going."

       I nodded.

       "I had hoped you would change your mind," she said sitting down on my bed.

       "I know. But you know I need to do this."

       "Yeah. I wish it could be easier. Maybe I could come with you," she propositioned.

       "I love you, mom. More than anything. But I need to go alone. You understand, right?"

       It was her turn to nod. "I love you too, baby girl." She got up to leave but stopped before she reached the door. "When are you leaving?" She asked.

       "After lunch."

       She walked out of my room with tears in her eyes.

        I loaded my car with all of my clothes, my toiletries, and makeup. I thought about flying but there was no way I could afford all the baggage I was taking with me even with the money I had saved from the job I worked through school.

       "I don't like you driving all the way to Indiana alone," my dad said for the umpteenth time.

        "I'll be fine, dad. I'll stop as soon as I get tired and find a hotel room. I'll call you every night and as soon as I get there. I promise. It’ll only take me three days."

       "What if you get sick? Or dizzy?" My mom worried.

       "I'll pull over. I swear mom, I'm going to be okay." She pulled me into a fierce hug, tears streaming down her face but didn't say anything. I handed her over to my dad and slipped into my car.

       I pulled away from my Belmont Heights home in Long Beach, California. My dad waved as I drove off, my mom still clutched in his arms. I felt a twinge of guilt as I watched them grow smaller in my rearview mirror. Was I being selfish? I thought, not for the first time that day. I shook the thought from my head. This was for them as much as for me.



© 2016 V.S.L.


My Review

Would you like to review this Chapter?
Login | Register




Share This
Email
Facebook
Twitter
Request Read Request
Add to Library My Library
Subscribe Subscribe


Stats

50 Views
Added on July 19, 2016
Last Updated on July 19, 2016


Author

V.S.L.
V.S.L.

TX



Writing
Prologue Prologue

A Chapter by V.S.L.


1 1

A Chapter by V.S.L.


2 2

A Chapter by V.S.L.