5

5

A Chapter by V.S.L.

       I flopped on the cheap motel room bed that felt like it had been stuffed with straw and smelled slightly of mold. That first day of driving had taken a lot out of me. I never knew driving could be so draining. The eight-hour drive to Richfield, Utah was grueling.

       “Hey, Mom,” I said into my cell phone as soon as she answered.

       “Hey, baby,” came the voice of the woman who had raised me. She sounded like she had been crying.

       “I made it to Richfield,” I informed her.

       “Good,” she sniffed.

       “How are you doing, Mom?”

       “I’m fine. How’s the driving?”

       “Good, Mom. Really good.”

       “Good I’m glad. Well, I need to get to bed. I have a long day tomorrow.”

       “Okay, Mom. Love you.”

       “I love you too,” her voice breaking on the last word before the line disconnected.

       I sobbed for a few seconds before getting myself under control just as my phone rang.

       “Hello,” I answered.

       “Hey, babe,” Alice lilted on the other end of the line.

       “Hey, A. What’s up?”

       “Guess who is super stoked you’re coming,” she toyed, her gum popping as she spoke.

       “Who?” I asked.

       “Oh, come on. You’re so lame. Just one guess. Please?” I could hear her fake pout through the phone.

       “Fine. Um, Greg?”

       “Who’s Greg?” She asked, laughing.

       “I don’t know. I was guessing the flavor of the week,” I replied.

       “Come on, I’m not that bad. I’ve been with Jeremy for two months now.”

       “Oh, I’m so sorry. You truly are the queen of commitment,” I said, sarcasm dripping from my every word.

       “Hush. Like you’re much better? How long was your longest? That’s right, it was a week with Jonny Murdock.”

       “Shut up. That was in like the sixth grade. It doesn’t count.”

       “Exactly. You’ve never even had a relationship.”

       “So, who is ‘super stoked’ to see me or whatever?” I asked trying to get the conversation back on track.

       “Jimmie, of course,” she giggled.

       “You mean, your brother Jimmie? The total creep who sends me band merch in the mail for no reason?”

       “And you wear it, don’t you?”

       I looked down at the black hoodie that had become a staple in my wardrobe. The hoodie that proudly stated “I only f**k Verbal Dent.”

       “No, I don’t wear it.”

       “Liar. You’re probably wearing the ‘I only f**k Verbal Dent’ hoodie right now. And the ‘Verbal Dent does it best’ tee under that.”

       “Ha! I never wear that shirt!” I yelled.

       “But you wear the panties he sent you,” I could hear the smile in her voice.

I said nothing.

       “You guys have been in love with each other since we were little. Just get over it and sleep with the guy.”

       “Dude, that’s your brother you’re talking about.”

       “I know. And he hasn’t gotten laid in like a year. He’s been holding out for you. Their music sucks because of it. You know he sings way better when he’s getting laid on a regular basis.”

       “True,” I conceded.

       “Exactly. Give the guy what he needs so he can move on from you and they won’t sound like a breakup band of sissies.”

       “Wow, you don’t hold back, do you?”

       “No. I give my honest opinion. That’s what they want from a manager.”

       “You’re managing them?” I choked. “You can’t even manage your wardrobe.”

       “I manage it just fine. It’s on the floor for a reason. I like it that way.”

       “Oh, A. I really do love you.”

       “I love you too.”

       “I need to get some sleep. I have a long way to drive tomorrow.”

       “Good night, Krys. See you soon.”

       “Night,” I hung up.



© 2016 V.S.L.


My Review

Would you like to review this Chapter?
Login | Register




Share This
Email
Facebook
Twitter
Request Read Request
Add to Library My Library
Subscribe Subscribe


Stats

62 Views
Added on July 19, 2016
Last Updated on July 19, 2016


Author

V.S.L.
V.S.L.

TX



Writing
Prologue Prologue

A Chapter by V.S.L.


1 1

A Chapter by V.S.L.


2 2

A Chapter by V.S.L.