For The Love of Daisies

For The Love of Daisies

A Poem by Chris Shaw
"

(In memory of Eirwen)

"
I well recall the games once played
as children on the lawn,
when daisies woke to greet the day
still damp from dew at dawn.
We'd gather them and split the stems
to thread them one by one,
then place a crown upon our heads
and dance in summer sun.

But daisies should be left in peace
to flourish where they grow,
for each one with its smiling face
has nowhere else to go.
And Eirwen loved each tiny bloom,
that some would call a weed.
To pick them out or cut them down,
she'd say there was no need.

There's space enough for them to stay
their presence will not harm
and dressed up in their fresh white skirts
they have eternal charm.
I do not think I'll ever take
a daisy from its bed,
for Eirwen's thoughts are planted now
and rooted in my head.

© 2018 Chris Shaw


My Review

Would you like to review this Poem?
Login | Register




Featured Review

Nothing's more fetchingly lovely than a maiden faire with daisies in her hair.
Delightfully rendered, Christine, in Ballad form that flows and dances in sweet rhythms and the smoothness of spot-on syntax up off the page into our hearts from this wonderful tale of daisies in Eirwen's honor.
Consequently, Eirwen is a lovely name in my ancestral Welsh language … one is left to wonder whom your Eirwen might be to inspire such a sweet composition.
Brings to mind a poem from my own pen you might enjoy, too:
"Daisies" http://www.writerscafe.org/writing/RichardJ/1937821/

This one made me swoon from its sheer moment in gentle grace in homage to Eirwen and one of Nature's sweetest flowers … thank you for the happy, tender feelings I love so dearly! ⁓ Richard : )

(L1, consider "I well recall the games once played" to bring it into count, and V2 L1, add "t" to "Bur") I'm too picky, some say … LOL!

Posted 6 Years Ago


1 of 1 people found this review constructive.

Chris Shaw

6 Years Ago

Dear Richard, thank you so much for reviewing another of my poems. Your assistance with critique is .. read more
Richard🖌

6 Years Ago

Now, what a sissy you'll think me to know my eyes welled and brimmed … diolch yn fawr, Christine.<.. read more



Reviews

Had to read this because I wrote on this same theme. My sentiment exactly...but I get sad if I see a flower in road where it might be run over. I will pick it in this case.

What a pretty little poem ( and of this flower).

Posted 5 Years Ago


1 of 1 people found this review constructive.

Chris Shaw

5 Years Ago

Thank you Maxwell. Daisies are lovely aren't they?

Chris
This is beautiful brings back memories of me and my family all playing in the grass and enjoying the summer days. Wow and the crowns we made was too cute. I truly love this poem.

Posted 5 Years Ago


1 of 1 people found this review constructive.

Chris Shaw

5 Years Ago

Thank you so much. It was a very happy time for me too. Have a lovely day.

Chris
respect for nature is a virtue. the almighty transcends through his creation. i can relate. wonderful thoughts you share with us. i like how you took it from innocent childhood to an understanding. great write that i enjoyed very much ...

Posted 6 Years Ago


1 of 1 people found this review constructive.

Chris Shaw

6 Years Ago

Lovely review Pete, thank you so much.
beautiful memory of childhood i can relate to this as i used to play this with neighbours and also sisters. those were the days indeed.
your poem is poignant full of memory and love thankkyou

Posted 6 Years Ago


1 of 1 people found this review constructive.

Chris Shaw

6 Years Ago

Happy to take you on a trip down memory lane and thank you so much for your lovely review.
I wrote a scribble about weeds.. love even the timeless dandelion! As for dandelions, you must have been one in a past life, knowing how they dance in the sun... and, of course, rarely crease their skirts.. such a beautiful stream of words. Carrying pictures in my head and into my dreams.. smiling, better than was a few minutes ago.. sighing for your Eirwen...

Posted 6 Years Ago


1 of 1 people found this review constructive.

Chris Shaw

6 Years Ago

Thank you emmajoy. I do like dandelions, especially the seed heads which I blow on to disperse the s.. read more
emmajoy

6 Years Ago

Of course you can tell the time by them, never, never doubt that!!
Absolutely exquisite and pristine ballad my dear friend. It sweeps across the mind, heart and senses like a fragrant summer breeze. Beautiful form, flow, cadence, imagery, rhyme- each eloquent word interwoven like a daisy chain. Eirwen is a lovely, graceful name and I’m sure she smiles to hear it in your poem. Superb write! Brava Christine!

Posted 6 Years Ago


1 of 1 people found this review constructive.

Chris Shaw

6 Years Ago

My dear Annette, you have left me blushing. Thank you for such a wonderful review.
Amazing write! I love daisies.
This tells a beautiful but touching story.
Thanks for sharing.

Posted 6 Years Ago


1 of 1 people found this review constructive.

Chris Shaw

6 Years Ago

So pleased you enjoyed the read. Have a lovely day.
Quite lovely and most compelling.
Work to be admired!

Posted 6 Years Ago


1 of 1 people found this review constructive.

Chris Shaw

6 Years Ago

Thank you Jimmy, pleased you enjoyed my daisy poem.
From the sound of it, Eirwen was a caring and thoughtful person. I'll bet she thought birds were also special for each is a part of nature, and nature teaches us many things--in its own way. I'm sure daisies are a welcome sight to bees as well as butterflies. The line "and rooted in my head" is a good play on words and reflects the permanence of the idea.

Daises will always have their spots where they grow and renew their presence. To appreciate them the way Eirwen does is to see their beauty as they were meant to be. They are part of a scene nature paints each year, whether we come across them by accident or nurture them in a garden. Their yellow jackets make them unique and special when paired with other flowers.

You've written a fine poem that for some strange reason makes me think of children's stories from the eighteen hundreds. Crazy, I know. :)

Posted 6 Years Ago


1 of 1 people found this review constructive.

Chris Shaw

6 Years Ago

Thank you so much for your lovely review.

First Page first
Previous Page prev
1
Share This
Email
Facebook
Twitter
Request Read Request
Add to Library My Library
Subscribe Subscribe


Stats

878 Views
20 Reviews
Rating
Shelved in 1 Library
Added on April 26, 2018
Last Updated on April 26, 2018

Author

Chris Shaw
Chris Shaw

Berkshire, United Kingdom



About
Albert, my paternal grandfather introduced me to Tennyson when I was nine. I have loved poetry ever since but did not attempt writing a single piece until I was 40. It's never too late to try somethin.. more..

Writing

Related Writing

People who liked this story also liked..


Burying 2020 Burying 2020

A Poem by Gee