Forget me not

Forget me not

A Poem by Chris Shaw
"

Beth:s Dad died when she was 10months old.

"
Of all the flora I have grown,
there's one self-seeding I adore,
that brings in spring its powder blue
to fill the spaces inbetween
red tulips and gold daffodils.

Their tiny yellow centred heads,
create a splash in garden beds.
So loved by Beth when she was six,
she picked a posy for her Dad
to take to his last resting place.

Forget him not is what she said,
and who was I to disagree,
so when she left them lovingly
beneath the branches of a tree
with innocence she paused to say
'my Daddy does remember me'.


© 2019 Chris Shaw


My Review

Would you like to review this Poem?
Login | Register




Featured Review

Wow, amazing how she can remember her dad that young, but even if she didn't get to really interact with him, she must have been told what a great dad he was...and she will have memories of him forever... a poignant poem with lots of color and warmth....
Warmly, B

Posted 8 Months Ago


1 of 1 people found this review constructive.

Chris Shaw

8 Months Ago

Thank you Betty. She has no memories of him but in her innocence she hoped he remembered her. Always.. read more
Betty Hermelee

8 Months Ago

You're very welcome Chris, you as well!
Warmly, B



Reviews

One can sense the love behind each and every word of your beautiful poem. As a surviving parent to two grown children I understand the need to grieve and at the same time share the memory of a loved one who was not here long enough to know the joy of raising babies born later on. (in my case grandchildren) Your grand daughter will be able to know and love her Daddy through your cherished memories.

Posted 5 Years Ago


1 of 1 people found this review constructive.

Chris Shaw

5 Years Ago

Dear Dara, thank you for your understanding in your response. So very much appreciated, as is your .. read more
well done as always Chris ... you spin the tale so easily ... unique rhyme scheme and form ... reading it was very comfortable for me ... like a conversation with a dear and trusted friend ... beautiful innocent Beth ... good on her creating memories of visitation at the very least ... so tragic to loose a parent before one even really has one ... even at age 6 they remember very little of a lost parent :( i think the surviving family has a job to do ... fill in spaces ... show pictures ... and tell tales ;)
E.

Posted 5 Years Ago


1 of 1 people found this review constructive.

Chris Shaw

5 Years Ago

Hello dear Mr E. Hope all is good in your neck of the woods. Yes Beth was only 10 months old when he.. read more
This is beautifully written. I can imagine the images as they run through my head as I read. Beautiful and vivid.

Posted 5 Years Ago


1 of 1 people found this review constructive.

Chris Shaw

5 Years Ago

Thank you Bridget. I appreciate your visit and your thoughts.

Chris
This piece is beautiful. It brought me to tears and touched my heart. I am sure it was hard to write. What a wonderful way to record a memory. Thank you for sharing it with us.
Tabby

Posted 5 Years Ago


1 of 1 people found this review constructive.

Chris Shaw

5 Years Ago

Thank you Tabby. You've put a smile on my face.

Chris
Beautiful I say...written and put across in a gentle and loving way.

Posted 5 Years Ago


1 of 1 people found this review constructive.

Chris Shaw

5 Years Ago

Thank you kitty for your lovely response

Chris
kitty

5 Years Ago

Don't mention. Pleasure's mine. Have a good day. Sun's out on this side of GB
Chris Shaw

5 Years Ago

And here too. Have a great day.
What a very moving poem.

So loved by Beth when she was six,
she picked a posy for her Dad
to take to his last resting place

Those lines really moved me.

Posted 5 Years Ago


1 of 1 people found this review constructive.

Chris Shaw

5 Years Ago

Hello Dale. Thank you for your thoughts about this poem. Pleased for your visit.

Chri.. read more
Imagination in your writings is the best part I like the most.

Posted 5 Years Ago


1 of 1 people found this review constructive.

Chris Shaw

5 Years Ago

Thank you Rahul for your thoughts. Always appreciated.

Chris
Very touching piece with some beautiful imagery. Thank you 😊

Posted 5 Years Ago


1 of 1 people found this review constructive.

Chris Shaw

5 Years Ago

Many thanks Troy for your visit and thoughts.

Chris
Children are so good at bringing back the purity of feeling, the honesty of feeling perhaps, that we tend to outgrow with time. I wonder if that is why we are so touched by their bursts of openness.

I was definitely touched by the story you told here, Chris. I have a younger brother (half-brother) who lost his father around the same age. I was pretty young as well, so I don’t remember if he had similar feelings as he grew up without a father.

It is lovely to think that a child can find a way to fill a void with imagination. The innocence of flowers and their particular purity are a wonderful candidate to handle the gravity of such a task.

I like the balance you struck here between the beauty of the natural world and the bittersweet nature of the human experience. I thought that was an excellent aspect of the poem.

Posted 5 Years Ago


1 of 1 people found this review constructive.

Chris Shaw

5 Years Ago

Many thanks Eilis for your visit and thoughtful review. Good to see you again. Best wishes
read more
A sad and wonderful poem shared dear Chris. Simple items make us remember thing lost. A flower, a gift to keep love alive in the heart. Thank you for sharing the amazing poetry.
Coyote

Posted 5 Years Ago


1 of 1 people found this review constructive.

Chris Shaw

5 Years Ago

Many thanks Coyote for appreciating this little poem. Flowers are a wonderful gift.

C.. read more
Coyote Poetry

5 Years Ago

You are welcome dear Chris.

Share This
Email
Facebook
Twitter
Request Read Request
Add to Library My Library
Subscribe Subscribe


Stats

939 Views
52 Reviews
Rating
Shelved in 3 Libraries
Added on April 19, 2019
Last Updated on April 19, 2019

Author

Chris Shaw
Chris Shaw

Berkshire, United Kingdom



About
Albert, my paternal grandfather introduced me to Tennyson when I was nine. I have loved poetry ever since but did not attempt writing a single piece until I was 40. It's never too late to try somethin.. more..

Writing

Related Writing

People who liked this story also liked..


Not in Vain Not in Vain

A Chapter by Dave Brown