Torment

Torment

A Poem by Chris Shaw
"

(make of it what you will)

"
butterflies in exquisite emperor
clothed perfection pinned inside
a mahogany display case
for the whole of the world to view
instead of seeing them chase 
rainbows

for the whole of the world to choose
to experience the beauty of tiny
creatures with their delicate
features now out of breath, dead
confined to museums

my inner child recalls the shock
as heart took a direct hit pondering
why anyone would wish to see
cruel demise of flutterbys born for
happy flight

out of my garden, i held one close
crushed almost beyond recognition,
fading before my eyes, i wept inside
with despair but with rare insight and 
fine timing, i caught her, glimpsed
into her soul and saw her torment

© 2020 Chris Shaw


My Review

Would you like to review this Poem?
Login | Register




Featured Review

i am with you Chris, too bad most of us don't count the birds and bees, vegetation and ultimately us, humans.
i wonder what humans in ... well 5000 years from now stumble upon your poem in a digital cemetery, would they even know what a butterfly is?
like i started, i am with you by trying to convince others with my actions and my words

Posted 3 Years Ago


1 of 1 people found this review constructive.

Chris Shaw

3 Years Ago

Thank you iliOZ, I appreciate your thoughts and your visit.

Chris




Reviews

oh my goodness, Christine. i am one the releases most bugs that find there way into the cabin .. but your poem reminds me of my Grand Uncle Frank ... i was probably 7 or 8 yrs old but remember our visit to him and his butterfly collection .. which is thought was so cool ... we spent a long time looking at them .. i feel guilty now ... thanks a lot :)))))))) my brother in law, among other things is a bug collector and has an expansive collection. He even has a beetle, he discovered on an expedition in New Guinea (i think) with the Smithsonian ... its odd because he releases all bugs held captive within his home .. ones i would not touch ... like the monster black spider that sent Norma flying :) i love you poem and the heart it displays ... closing deeply affects me .. to look with such intensity and appreciation for that life .. i want to be like that .. like Buddhist monks ... profound write says i!
E.

Posted 3 Years Ago


1 of 1 people found this review constructive.

Einstein Noodle

3 Years Ago

arrrrrrrrrrrrgh the lock down ... errrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrr >;[ your Granddaughter is a squasher eh.. read more
Chris Shaw

3 Years Ago

You know I love that Irish sense of humour with a little twinkle in the eye. Used to see it on my tr.. read more
Einstein Noodle

3 Years Ago

oh they are so gnatsty :))))))))))))))))))))))))))))))))))))
(that was bad wasn't it?!) ;}
This poem reminds me of Poe's "Sonnet to Science" which also laments the fact that science takes the wonder and magic out of life and gives back dry facts - or pinned down butterflies in this case.
It's tragic indeed, but luckily we have poetry and the other arts to counterbalance the cold, calculating, cruel aspects of our species.

Posted 3 Years Ago


1 of 1 people found this review constructive.

Chris Shaw

3 Years Ago

We need that balance don't we Laz. Yes, poetry can certainly provide that when the occasion arises. .. read more
the innocence of a little girl and a part of creation. morphed caterpillars with wings. they have always fascinated me - those beautiful, unusual colors and patterns. i think when we were little we tried to catch them and keep them in jars but it never worked. you have a unique way of weaving wonderful heartfelt memories and magnifying the seemingly mundane - takes a keen eye and receptive heart. as i always say, this is where the good stuff of life hides. i too am tormented when any of creation meets its demise. your ending really tugs directly at heartstrings. well done, top-notch write ... :)

Posted 3 Years Ago


1 of 1 people found this review constructive.

Chris Shaw

3 Years Ago

Dear Pete. Thank you so much for this lovely and welcome review. You too suffer the same way I do wi.. read more
Such a well made poem seeing and looking out for the little things in life.
Despair and happiness in one tiny creature.

Posted 3 Years Ago


1 of 1 people found this review constructive.

Chris Shaw

3 Years Ago

Thank you so much Into the milky-way. Appreciate your thoughts here. All good things.

.. read more
Butterflies are meant to be free, not tormented and put into a museum for the world to see. I remember going to a stunning butterfly garden where they flit around land on flowers and and sit on your palms; how delicious was that? I also have seen wounded butterflies which make my heart flutter as they have no chance of flight and will inevitably die. You describe this so well with the flow of your words. Nicely done Chris.
Best, Betty

Posted 3 Years Ago


1 of 1 people found this review constructive.

Betty Hermelee

3 Years Ago

Of course, Best
Chris Shaw

3 Years Ago

That read more gliche is back. Comes up automatically. So rude Betty :) Please ignore
Betty Hermelee

3 Years Ago

no worries, I get it too!!!
All of us enjoy the sight of the fluttering beauty. I once watched a documentary on how these butterflies are caught, pinched, dried and pinned for preservation. It was a very unfascinating and a tormenting view. That time is not far when the only butterflies available for view will be the ones "preserved".

Posted 3 Years Ago


1 of 1 people found this review constructive.

Chris Shaw

3 Years Ago

That is a dreadful thought Ayesha. I am pleased I didn't watch the same programme that you did. Many.. read more
I have never understood the need to kill and showcase even those creatures which we can see in their natural habitat. This is indeed another one of the damned "need" of the humans to display their superiority.

Posted 3 Years Ago


1 of 1 people found this review constructive.

Chris Shaw

3 Years Ago

Thank you Fairy. It really does highlight the worse side of our species doesn't it? I appreciate you.. read more
I have no explanation for why people like to kill and display exotic creatures. There must be some type of ego reward to it, but I am at a loss to name what it is. If I had to guess, I might say it has something to do with control.

Posted 3 Years Ago


1 of 1 people found this review constructive.

Chris Shaw

3 Years Ago

Thank you John. I have no idea either, except to say I find it upsetting and totally unnecessary. A.. read more
What a truly sensitive and insightful post, dear Chris. Don't doubt you realised long, long ago that the most fragile of all species make the easiest targets. Over history, hordes of creatures, two and four legged, winged, gilled and of course, varied terrains, have been destroyed: a majority gone forever and even now many irretrievable. We all know who the enemy is, and even now in our present predicament, there are millions that don't care a damn about Life - tis a case for live for the day and so what. What if nothing's left?

This post is without comparison. With all my being, thank you.

Posted 3 Years Ago


1 of 1 people found this review constructive.

Chris Shaw

3 Years Ago

Thank you Em. A subject dear to my heart. I hate what is taking place with the destruction of creatu.. read more
emmajoy

3 Years Ago

Because adults are generally greedier than children! Cynical yes, but you've only to see the adult.. read more

First Page first
Previous Page prev
1
Share This
Email
Facebook
Twitter
Request Read Request
Add to Library My Library
Subscribe Subscribe


Stats

513 Views
20 Reviews
Rating
Added on October 23, 2020
Last Updated on October 23, 2020

Author

Chris Shaw
Chris Shaw

Berkshire, United Kingdom



About
Albert, my paternal grandfather introduced me to Tennyson when I was nine. I have loved poetry ever since but did not attempt writing a single piece until I was 40. It's never too late to try somethin.. more..

Writing

Related Writing

People who liked this story also liked..


Forgotten Forgotten

A Poem by Chris Shaw