No Lamb Today

No Lamb Today

A Poem by Chris Shaw

English garden mint in our herb border
struggles in straggly seasonal neglect

memories drift to mum’s Sunday lunches
when a joint of Welsh lamb would spit

in a piping hot oven where basted and
roasted tatters browned to crisp perfection

remember how she added freshly chopped
mint to vinegar and a teaspoon of sugar

unthinkable to carve and serve without
a sauce to enhance the succulent flavour

how all seven of us would be seated round
the table together waiting to pass the gravy

inflated prices these days mean a leg of
lamb has become an out of pocket luxury

the sheep grazing in the valleys and hills
of ancestral song are surely safe from us

© 2023 Chris Shaw


My Review

Would you like to review this Poem?
Login | Register




Featured Review

[send message][befriend] Subscribe
Tim
I don't think we realize how good we have it when we're young. Times change and I often with it wouldn't. I too remember family dinners with the family. These days, there's only a table for one, and even for me, favorites must wait, or not show up at all.

Greandparents are great when we're young.

Posted 1 Year Ago


2 of 2 people found this review constructive.

Chris Shaw

1 Year Ago

Thanks Tim. The table for one sounds so lonely. Such lovely memories I have of those Sunday roasts. .. read more



Reviews



sitting here as indeed I am, now salivating .. and far too much I might add, for it to be normal .. I could not help but hark back so very fondly on times past, seated around my own good old ma's dining table, with the rest of the family .. dad at the head of the table poised to carve and my two younger siblings either side .. it wasn't just the lamb and the mint sauce n tatties tho' was it, nor the girt lush gravy and assorted seasonal veg (invariably cooked just that little bit too much) .. it was all of that for sure, but so much more wasn't it .. it was absolutely bloomin everything .. Thanks so much for the ride our Chris .. twas muchly needed ..

Neville


Posted 1 Year Ago


1 of 1 people found this review constructive.

Chris Shaw

1 Year Ago

It was bloomin everything Neville. You have summed it up perfectly. It was another time, another pla.. read more
Neville

1 Year Ago


I'm still salivating :)
[send message][befriend] Subscribe
Gee
Took me back 50+ years to our old council house kitchen on a Sunday where mum would prepare the only "real" meal of the week and the only one we would all eat together, 8 sat around an old battered wooden table:)
As is always the case a well written piece.
Hope you are being spoilt Christine...happy mothers day

Posted 1 Year Ago


1 of 1 people found this review constructive.

Chris Shaw

1 Year Ago

Thank you Gee. Pleased this write gave you some happy memories. Here we are at Friday again. Have a .. read more
A memorabilia piece when the cost of things we took for granted were at a reasonable price. Now like you say , roasts are a luxury. Can’t get a pub to serve up a roast beef in Adelaide anymore because it’s too expensive. Nicely written as are all your pieces Chris.

Posted 1 Year Ago


1 of 1 people found this review constructive.

Chris Shaw

1 Year Ago

Thanks Andrew. What!! No roast beef dinners in Adelaide. How times have changed. Thank you for stopp.. read more
I love lamb for it taste, flavour, tenderness, cooked different ways. I love your poetry for many more reasons.
This poem was a tasty treat.

Posted 1 Year Ago


1 of 1 people found this review constructive.

Sami Khalil

1 Year Ago

Wow! Good to know. Enjoy the view(smiling)
You are welcome down here or up there.
Chris Shaw

1 Year Ago

:) ………………….
Sami Khalil

1 Year Ago

::::::::)))))))))))
Your loving memories of family togetherness and mother's cooking touches my heart, as such scenes are so dear. Most of the world routinely enjoys lamb, but for some reason, that isn't the case here in the US. In fact, I had never tasted lamb until it was served to me in a Navy chow hall. Yes, I'll have some of that gravy, if you don't mind!

Posted 1 Year Ago


1 of 1 people found this review constructive.

Chris Shaw

1 Year Ago

Hello Sam. Lamb was once a regular, not now which is a pity as it is my favourite for a roast. You w.. read more
Oh the melancholy… but well-versed, as an English garden itself. The memory, be it English or American or the whole worldwide overs, holds all the same the older and richer with memories we get, we watch people lost we watch prices go up, but we write and we write, and somehow, even if the lambs are safe the sharing feels the same and they cannot put a price on this! Yet another wonderful poem, Chris, thanks!

Posted 1 Year Ago


1 of 1 people found this review constructive.

Chris Shaw

1 Year Ago

What a lovely review you have left for me today Perdition. Just a memory from the memory bank that I.. read more
Perdition

1 Year Ago

Thanks and trying… lol
Chris Shaw

1 Year Ago

Lol Trying is much better than giving up. Trying is a positive.
my mouth is watering. food prices are scary high. i love how you delve into the file of family memories - those are the best! a sure recipe for a smile as lips are licked. great and sentimental with a side of sauce ... :)

Posted 1 Year Ago


1 of 1 people found this review constructive.

Chris Shaw

1 Year Ago

Thanks Pete. Roast lamb with mint saúce is so succulent. It’s off menu for us. I just have to rem.. read more
Pete

1 Year Ago

roast lamb always makes my mouth water just thinking about it with the pan drippings! i used to mak.. read more
Chris Shaw

1 Year Ago

Yes eggs as well !!! The price has tripled over here. You’ll have to eat chocolate ones :)
I really do worry about the elderly who are living on fixed incomes and have no family to help them make it through. I know, historically speaking, that things have been worse; but this is the worst that I have seen it in my lifetime. I am still in shock over seeing a dozen of eggs for over $12. Cat litter has gone from $14.44 to $21.08. I don't know where the insanity ends! I saw a video today where Senator Kennedy was questioning Federal Reserve Chair Jerome Powell on Tuesday. He admitted that the goal is disinflation, not to decrease prices but to keep them from rising. Part of this process includes increasing the unemployment rate. Unbelievable! Worldwide, our governments have failed us. More importantly, the voters have elected these individuals who bring so much ruination upon us. It's not a mistake. It's well planned.

Posted 1 Year Ago


Chris Shaw

1 Year Ago

Thank you so much for your share Linda. I agree the cost of living has really increased. Price of fo.. read more
You are right dear Chris.
"the sheep grazing in the valleys and hills
of ancestral song are surely safe from us"
The cows will be safe in the USA. I can afford hamburger only now. One porterhouse steak. $15. Pretty soon, I will raise some chickens and some pigs. Our money, got de-valued. I loved the poetry dear friend. This year. I am growing a garden. Save a penny and one day. The pennies will be a nickel. Thank you for sharing the outstanding poetry.
Coyote

Posted 1 Year Ago


Chris Shaw

1 Year Ago

Thank you Coyote. Seems we are all suffering from rising prices. Lamb and beef are so expensive. We .. read more
Coyote Poetry

1 Year Ago

Yes Chris. No-one can afford beef no-more. I went vegie lately. Trying to lose weight and you are we.. read more
I love Lamb.
grew up on it. Here is something interesting. In 1970 my parents moved to Trinidad.
I went to visit them and found that there were so many sheep there that lamb was as cheap as chicken here...and chicken was much more expensive.
We had lots of lamb when I visited.
I think it is the best meat, but it is priced out of range now.
Your poem touched my sense of smell...I could smell that lamb cooking...
j.

Posted 1 Year Ago


1 of 1 people found this review constructive.

Chris Shaw

1 Year Ago

Nothing like the smell of lamb roasting in the oven J:) What a pity it is now out of our price ran.. read more

First Page first
Previous Page prev
1
Share This
Email
Facebook
Twitter
Request Read Request
Add to Library My Library
Subscribe Subscribe


Stats

383 Views
20 Reviews
Rating
Shelved in 1 Library
Added on March 4, 2023
Last Updated on March 4, 2023

Author

Chris Shaw
Chris Shaw

Berkshire, United Kingdom



About
Albert, my paternal grandfather introduced me to Tennyson when I was nine. I have loved poetry ever since but did not attempt writing a single piece until I was 40. It's never too late to try somethin.. more..

Writing
My love My love

A Poem by Chris Shaw



Related Writing

People who liked this story also liked..


Change Change

A Poem by Soren