What Price Freedom

What Price Freedom

A Poem by Chris Shaw

i pause as a red kite
cruises in cool cloudy skies
over country gardens as it whistles
an unmistakable presence
honing in on target breakfast

does it appreciate its freedom
as much as I cherish mine
and how it was won by those
who would not surrender
to violent tactics

who would not cave in
to oppressive bully boy threats
and gave every ounce of
their being for what they
truly believed in

© 2023 Chris Shaw


My Review

Would you like to review this Poem?
Login | Register




Featured Review

the red kite at the beginning is a strong visual image that captures the reader's attention. then, moving from this concrete image to something abstract like freedom is a smooth transition. the theme is that freedom comes at great price and should be cherished is a meaningful and deep realization. looking at history, politics, or current events, though, one begins to think that the term "bully" is a very relative one, and no one can confidently say they are the possessors of the Truth and justice. (“Why do you call me good?” Jesus asked. “Only God is truly good." Mark 10:18)

Posted 1 Year Ago


1 of 1 people found this review constructive.

Chris Shaw

1 Year Ago

Really enjoyed your review Laz and where you went with it. Many thank yous. You are appreciated. read more



Reviews

Freedom is what we all want , The Uk , is much blessed. By Freedom more than other countries
So any protesters , should rethink , about what’s wrong with the uk, or try Iran ect
See how free you can get there , waving your signs ,

Posted 12 Months Ago



"I Pause as a Red Kite" is an interesting exploration of the relationship between freedom and nature, with a subtle political undertone!

The first stanza describes the red kite flying gracefully in the sky, as if it is enjoying the freedom of flight. The use of the word "whistles" to describe the sound of the kite creates a sense of liveliness and energy.

I feel the phrase "honing in on target breakfast" is suggesting the kite is focused on survival, and emphasizes the idea that freedom is not just about being able to fly, but also about being able to pursue one's needs and desires. Maybe I have overstated?

The second stanza introduces the speaker's reflection on their own freedom and the struggles that were required to achieve it.

The use of the word "cherish" to describe the poet's attitude towards their freedom conveys a sense of appreciation and gratitude.

The phrase "and how it was won by those who would not surrender" suggests that the speaker is referring to a struggle for freedom that involved some sort of oppression or injustice.

The final lines of the poem "who would not cave in / to oppressive bully boy threats / and gave every ounce of / their being for what they / truly believed in" reinforce this idea of struggle and resistance. Again, this is subjective but it speaks to me.

The use of the phrase "bully boy threats" creates a sense of aggression and violence, while the phrase "every ounce of their being" emphasizes the high stakes of the struggle for freedom.

Overall, the poem "I Pause as a Red Kite" is a powerful reflection on the relationship between freedom and nature, as well as the political struggles that have been required to achieve and maintain that freedom. The use of vivid imagery and thoughtful language create a sense of depth and complexity that is characteristic of effective poetry.

Posted 1 Year Ago


1 of 1 people found this review constructive.

Chris Shaw

1 Year Ago

Thank you so much. What a thorough and interesting review. So detailed. I am thrilled that you have .. read more
E.P. Robles

1 Year Ago

Oh! You are so welcome! I really enjoyed reading your poem and found it very fun to review and wri.. read more
Chris Shaw

1 Year Ago

Pleased to hear that:)
the red kite at the beginning is a strong visual image that captures the reader's attention. then, moving from this concrete image to something abstract like freedom is a smooth transition. the theme is that freedom comes at great price and should be cherished is a meaningful and deep realization. looking at history, politics, or current events, though, one begins to think that the term "bully" is a very relative one, and no one can confidently say they are the possessors of the Truth and justice. (“Why do you call me good?” Jesus asked. “Only God is truly good." Mark 10:18)

Posted 1 Year Ago


1 of 1 people found this review constructive.

Chris Shaw

1 Year Ago

Really enjoyed your review Laz and where you went with it. Many thank yous. You are appreciated. read more
What price freedom indeed!

Freedom is priceless All of us, every man woman and child on this planet should have such an entitlement, and it grieves me so to see so many oppressive regimes treating their people as if they have no value save to further their own selfishly evil ends.

I hope and pray that one day such tyranny will come to an end and that peace and harmony will prevail.

Beccy.

Posted 1 Year Ago


Chris Shaw

1 Year Ago

Dear Beccy, good to have a visit from you. Yes, freedom is priceless and many of us who have it don�.. read more
This was sweet and eloquent. The price of freedom is always blood. The blood sacrifice that frees the sinner/ frees the patriot from the tyrant/ frees the child with water from the womb/ frees the wounded and dying man from the clutches of certain death. What price? Life. Because the life is in the blood and freedom is bought by and through life. It is not death that pays the price but life. It is a payment always made in blood. I enjoyed the read.

Posted 1 Year Ago


1 of 1 people found this review constructive.

Chris Shaw

1 Year Ago

Many thanks for sharing your interesting thoughts. Pleased you enjoyed the read. Have a good weeken.. read more
yes ... your poem challenges me to put "turn the other cheek" to practice .. Jesus Christ's example and words said it so clearly 2000 yrs. ago and counting .. His example of living it out through terrible pain and suffering and finally death .. so grateful to be in the the Easter Season .. celebrating His Resurrection ... i do have to confess that push come to shove ... a good sound fist in the nose of bullies will more often than not reveal their cowardice and end that kind of abuse and degrading of both the bully and the bullied ;) your poem challenges me this morning to try to be more aware and be a better person .. love love love ... it's all we need eh!?
E.

Posted 1 Year Ago


1 of 1 people found this review constructive.

Chris Shaw

1 Year Ago

Dear Mr E thank you so much for stopping by to share your thoughts. No one likes a bully . We do hav.. read more
Einstein Noodle

1 Year Ago

that's the truth ... these days the bullies far too often are armed and lawless .. top o' the mahrni.. read more
beautifully penned Chris. exquisite shift from nature to mechanical birds. very enjoyable read my dear

Posted 1 Year Ago


1 of 1 people found this review constructive.

Chris Shaw

1 Year Ago

Thanks Ken. Pleased you enjoyed the read. I appreciate you stopping by. Have a good weekend.
.. read more
A wild and interesting entrance! We all stop at these little huge things that plenish our souls for the pen ...that brilliant tyrant pen, but how we go about it is as unusual and diverse as the garden is scattered in our abilities, your thoughts to turn a kite into freedom, yet, tethered still...that slight difference reveals the truth of most freedoms as they come with a cost and even then we are tethered to life, taxes, laundry, work..etc. I see Montana from here and think of the cabin I have in mind...maybe I'll never make it but just like your freedom I've known the Arctic Circle and the vastness of Alaska which told me of my place quite readily. Still, the freedom was wonderful and all of this wrapped quite nicely in the title alone; Wonderfully!

Posted 1 Year Ago


1 of 1 people found this review constructive.

Chris Shaw

1 Year Ago

Pleased you found a wild and interesting entrance here. My kite has wings and is a magnificent bird.. read more
At first I thought this one was a simple nature poem, but I concluded afterward that it was a tribute to the RAF. And well they deserve it.

Posted 1 Year Ago


Chris Shaw

1 Year Ago

It is a little of both John, so I thank you for your visit. All the best.

Chris
Its our local neighbourhood osprey who has just returned and is already irritating with his Crees as he waits for his mate. And it is Sea Eagles, Golden Eagles and Buzzards all doing their mating flights. But I reserve a soft spot for the kites and all the places I have seen and photographed them since they came back. You should see them in the feeding scrum. Short shirft for bullies there. Wonderful flight flowing poem Chris.

Posted 1 Year Ago


1 of 1 people found this review constructive.

Chris Shaw

1 Year Ago

Many thanks Ken for sharing what you see in the freedom of the skies where you are in your beautiful.. read more

First Page first
Previous Page prev
1
Share This
Email
Facebook
Twitter
Request Read Request
Add to Library My Library
Subscribe Subscribe


Stats

348 Views
24 Reviews
Rating
Added on April 5, 2023
Last Updated on April 5, 2023

Author

Chris Shaw
Chris Shaw

Berkshire, United Kingdom



About
Albert, my paternal grandfather introduced me to Tennyson when I was nine. I have loved poetry ever since but did not attempt writing a single piece until I was 40. It's never too late to try somethin.. more..

Writing
My love My love

A Poem by Chris Shaw



Related Writing

People who liked this story also liked..