Curious

Curious

A Poem by Chris Shaw

who lives inside a cabin
a stone throw from this lake
surrounded by the tallest trees
that stretch towards the light

who wakes up in the morning
to scents of forest pine
then walks down to the water’s edge
to bathe in crystal clear

who gathers broken branches
and saws on dead wood felled
to build a welcome fire
when warmth gives way to cold

who climbs a well worn ladder
left propped against a wall
to reach the moss clad roofing
with its crooked chimney pot

and should I knock upon the door
what greeting would be mine
polite with gentle manners
hospitable and kind

or would the door creak open
to an empty hollow room
where cobwebs cling to corners
where a ghost lurks in the gloom

© 2023 Chris Shaw


My Review

Would you like to review this Poem?
Login | Register




Featured Review

This has such a nice rhythm to it. The last stanza offers a surprise and a smile.
There may have been more impact if the narrator one day did summon the courage to knock and open the door-then that final line might start, is that a ghost I see

Winston

Posted 11 Months Ago


1 of 1 people found this review constructive.

Chris Shaw

11 Months Ago

Thank you Winston. I appreciate your thoughts. I might just have to pen another poem. Have a wonderf.. read more
Akinlolu

11 Months Ago

Curiousity leads nowhere without the courage to take some steps. Curiousity might have killed the ca.. read more
Chris Shaw

11 Months Ago

Thank you for adding your thoughts. You are right. It takes courage to be an explorer. Most people a.. read more



Reviews

dear Chris… there are Ghosts that linger in the corners where Webs of Mystery become a Book upon a Shelf when days are Grey. Softly, Pat

Posted 10 Months Ago


Chris Shaw

10 Months Ago

Empty houses, Empty cabins all have their ghosts. Yes, cobwebs of mystery. His poetic your lovely re.. read more
This has such a nice rhythm to it. The last stanza offers a surprise and a smile.
There may have been more impact if the narrator one day did summon the courage to knock and open the door-then that final line might start, is that a ghost I see

Winston

Posted 11 Months Ago


1 of 1 people found this review constructive.

Chris Shaw

11 Months Ago

Thank you Winston. I appreciate your thoughts. I might just have to pen another poem. Have a wonderf.. read more
Akinlolu

11 Months Ago

Curiousity leads nowhere without the courage to take some steps. Curiousity might have killed the ca.. read more
Chris Shaw

11 Months Ago

Thank you for adding your thoughts. You are right. It takes courage to be an explorer. Most people a.. read more
Very atmospheric Chris - the Cabin in the Woods - like something from a fairytale or a ghost story. Liking this a lot ✨️✨️✨️✨️✨️

Posted 11 Months Ago


1 of 1 people found this review constructive.

Chris Shaw

11 Months Ago

Many thanks Tony. Thanks for your support. All good wishes.

Chris
This is indeed wonderful
A ghost who loves his lake cabin and just can’t leave
Great write here Chris

Posted 11 Months Ago


1 of 1 people found this review constructive.

Chris Shaw

11 Months Ago

Thank you Julie. Pleased you enjoyed my poem inspired by a picture in a magazine. My muse embraced .. read more
the first four verses are exactly how my muse thoreau lived in the 1800's. i have experienced all of this first hand. i've gone swimming at walden and walked those woods and gone inside a replica of his cabin. i swear his spirit is still there. i have even stood at his grave in sleepy hollow cemetery in concord. top notch write especially for me since i can relate so well. you've got good, accurate aim chris ... :)

Posted 11 Months Ago


Chris Shaw

11 Months Ago

Hello Pete. Thrilled that this write meant so much to you. Pleased you found the lines so relatable... read more
This poem, "CURIOUS" evokes a sense of solitude and isolation, depicting a person living in a cabin near a lake, surrounded by towering trees.

The imagery emphasizes the connection with nature, with references to forest pine, crystal clear water, broken branches, and dead wood. As a child very poor I would often walk deep into the woods. The place was Louisiana. I learned alot about nature.

Let us explore. The first stanza sets the scene, establishing the cabin's proximity to the lake and the enveloping presence of tall trees. This imagery suggests a harmonious coexistence between the individual and nature.

The act of reaching towards the light can be interpreted as a metaphor for the human desire for growth and enlightenment.

The second stanza introduces the daily routine of the person living in the cabin. They wake up to the scent of forest pine, emphasizing the sensory experience and closeness to nature. Walking down to the water's edge, they engage in a ritualistic act of bathing, symbolizing purity and renewal.

The third stanza portrays the individual's self-sufficiency and resourcefulness. They gather broken branches and see dead wood to build a fire, a symbol of warmth and comfort.

This act also implies a connection with the cycle of life and death, as the wood is sourced from fallen or discarded material.

The fourth stanza depicts the person's willingness to engage with their surroundings. They climb a well-worn ladder, a symbol of progress and effort, to reach the moss-clad roofing and the crooked chimney pot. This image conveys a sense of tradition and the continuity of human habitation in the natural world.

The final stanza introduces an element of uncertainty and ambiguity. The poet, "Chris Shaw" contemplates knocking on the cabin door and wonders about the reception they would receive. The contrast between a polite, gentle greeting and the possibility of encountering an empty, ghostly space creates a sense of mystery and suspense.

From a psychoanalytic perspective, the cabin and its surroundings can be seen as a representation of the individual's inner psyche. The cabin represents the self, a refuge from the outside world where one can find solace and introspection. The lake, trees, and natural elements symbolize the unconscious mind, offering a connection to primal instincts and emotions.

The act of bathing in the lake suggests a desire for purification and cleansing, both physically and metaphorically. It represents a ritual of self-care and renewal, indicating a need to release negative emotions and embrace a fresh start.

The gathering of broken branches and dead wood can be interpreted as an attempt to confront and process past experiences or traumas. By engaging with these discarded elements, the individual seeks to build a metaphorical fire, symbolizing the transformation of pain and adversity into warmth and resilience.

The ladder and the act of climbing reflect the individual's striving for growth and self-improvement. It implies a willingness to confront challenges and ascend to higher states of consciousness.

The final stanza introduces an element of fear and uncertainty. The knock on the door represents an external intrusion, potentially bringing change or confrontation. The contrasting possibilities of a polite greeting or an empty, ghostly room allude to the fear of abandonment or rejection. It reflects the internal struggle between the desire for connection and the fear of vulnerability.

Overall, this poem portrays a person living in harmony with nature, seeking solace and self-discovery in the tranquility of their cabin. It explores themes of self-sufficiency, growth, and the duality of human emotions. Through its vivid imagery and introspective elements, the poem invites readers to reflect on their own relationship with the natural world and their inner selves.

I have only been on this site for a few weeks but I am devouring so much -- the great prose of people as yourself. I thoroughly enjoy reading and analyzing. It helps me too! I am too abstract.

Peace

Posted 11 Months Ago


Chris Shaw

11 Months Ago

I thank you for the attention you have shown my work and wish you all the best with your studies and.. read more
E.P. Robles

11 Months Ago

Doing AI and Machine Learning for my studies. Thank you
Chris Shaw

11 Months Ago

:) ……………………….
Intriguing cabin, here, and a bit of mystery. Enjoyable, Chris.

Posted 11 Months Ago


1 of 1 people found this review constructive.

Chris Shaw

11 Months Ago

Thank you for stopping by Andrew. All the best.

Chris
It's funny how a spark of inspiration can be found anywhere, around the corner, behind a door, a bird in the sky, or a ring on the floor. I envisioned this lovely spot, and I have no doubt that you would find a wonderfully kind person behind the door. Well penned.

Posted 11 Months Ago


1 of 1 people found this review constructive.

Chris Shaw

11 Months Ago

Thank you Linda. The inspiration for this poem came from a magazine image. I appreciate you stopping.. read more
Well...we really don't know the unknowable.... it could be a welcoming kind soul, or a cobwebbed dungeon; with ghost like shadows everywhere.... I like the build up to this questionable ending Chris.. it really turns the poem around.... great and clever!!!
Best, to you my friend
B.

Posted 11 Months Ago


1 of 1 people found this review constructive.

Chris Shaw

11 Months Ago

Many thanks Betty for your visit and kind review. I appreciate you. Have a great Tuesday.
read more
Betty Hermelee

11 Months Ago

You're very welcome dear Chris...have a wonderful day!
Best, B
Bravo Chris! I'm almost afraid to open that door. ~Sharon

Posted 11 Months Ago


1 of 1 people found this review constructive.

Chris Shaw

11 Months Ago

Many thank yous for your visit Sharon. Hope all is good with you. All good wishes.

C.. read more

First Page first
Previous Page prev
1
Share This
Email
Facebook
Twitter
Request Read Request
Add to Library My Library
Subscribe Subscribe


Stats

235 Views
15 Reviews
Rating
Added on May 16, 2023
Last Updated on May 16, 2023

Author

Chris Shaw
Chris Shaw

Berkshire, United Kingdom



About
Albert, my paternal grandfather introduced me to Tennyson when I was nine. I have loved poetry ever since but did not attempt writing a single piece until I was 40. It's never too late to try somethin.. more..

Writing

Related Writing

People who liked this story also liked..


Change Change

A Poem by Soren


The Mailbox The Mailbox

A Poem by DIVYA


Constants Constants

A Poem by Chris Shaw