Pie in An Endless Sky

Pie in An Endless Sky

A Poem by Chris Shaw

beyond this midnight starlit sky
where do we travel when we die
surmise away and dream it too
unanswered questions might come true
for certain what’s desired is peace
a sweet release from this world’s stain

is that too much to ask that we
in far off places do refrain
from all that causes others hurt
do not tattoo your views on me
i have two eyes and i can see
the measure of a loving heart

the measure of a quiet mind
where I can seek out common ground
to find the stuff that strengthens love
where kindness is a rule for all
where thoughts of evil dissipate
and hate becomes a word unknown.

© 2024 Chris Shaw


My Review

Would you like to review this Poem?
Login | Register




Featured Review

often stated but remains meaningful to many "where do we travel when we die" - personally I ascribe to the thought that, "we are not bodies with a spirit, we are spirits with a body" - "we have this treasure in earthen vessels." When the vessel breaks the treasure is released. Love your thoughts and images and your apt description of paradise elements. - thanks for the post - carl

Posted 1 Month Ago


3 of 3 people found this review constructive.

Chris Shaw

1 Month Ago

Many thanks Carl for stopping by and leaving a thoughtful review. Pleased you enjoyed your visit. I .. read more



Reviews

Lovely poem - I particularly like the line "do not tattoo your views on me" what an amazing way to express! thankyou - I do echo the thought that runs through the entire piece :)

Posted 3 Weeks Ago


Chris Shaw

3 Weeks Ago

I appreciate your kind words. Thank you so much for stopping by to review.

Chris
A lovely write and a lyrical and compelling vision of hope.

Posted 4 Weeks Ago


Chris Shaw

3 Weeks Ago

Pleased you read my words that way. Thank you Victor. Happy you enjoyed my poem.

Chr.. read more
Some amazing thoughts expressed for this poem here, and I've read most of them, including that long one. It's a poem that causes this among readers, and I've found it very thought-provoking - and, of course, enjoyed it.

Posted 1 Month Ago


Chris Shaw

1 Month Ago

Thank you Andrew and for reading all the comments too. Have a great Wednesday.

Chris.. read more
dear Chris… I might add that your Poetry is orchestrated with Violins of Visions and a New World where Charity will
Be for All … ❤️ Love and Prayers… Amen

Posted 1 Month Ago


Chris Shaw

1 Month Ago

What a sweet review dear Pat. Many thanks for stopping by. I hope you have a good week.

read more
I wonder if the pie in the sky came from the castle in the air! Anyway, a universal question where do we go? I think in the scope of things we are just a dot in the universe and when we are gone that’s it I’m afraid just like all the animals and our beloved pets. When you consider Earth being 4.6 billion years old we are just bugs in an evolution changing. Nice write Chris.

Posted 1 Month Ago


Chris Shaw

1 Month Ago

Yes, it means similar Andrew. Just a speck in the ocean sky. That’s what I think. Many thanks Andr.. read more
andrew mitchell

1 Month Ago

We are melting as you and your family are frozen in time.
hI chris,
i am not sure whats your intention is what is driving, as i have seen before taking sides, so thinking same here about you, but there is a possibility that things might change, yea i AGREE your point, that where that negativity would be even if we keep on waiting and changing the bodies, it might as Neev said,but there is more truth yielding in your point, why cant we survive on the same planet, for some more time till death comes, and try for living together, where it is legal to have bigamy, instead of forcing other or settling ruthlessly and waiting for the stick to break, that it is worthless. You are more knowledgeable and experienced. I already gave same suggestion before also when i was capable enough to give birth, every month and every day is getting critical for me now, Its been like that in 80s when film actors used to have more than one wife, is it that more negativity that people doesnt support in 20 to 30 yrs gap, People were thinking of brain then and now also, they never changed, and me too with what ever i am and i too didnt change. i really want to have kid and husband and inlaws in my home.
that was his point also to have two at the same time. it was too difficult for me when he said 3 but when it came mu turn i am seeing the pain, i should have agreed at that time, i would have not wasted time, i thoight it is too much, i can wait. yea we feel, the need when it comes our turn, so listening to him is better than self thpughts ans experiences.

with love and i had nice pooja he gave direct darshan from idol, and i could hold him in my lap the shiv linga.
- jessy jacob

Posted 1 Month Ago


Chris Shaw

1 Month Ago

Thank you Jessy.
... and the meek shall inherit the earth ... beautifully said chris.

Posted 1 Month Ago


Chris Shaw

1 Month Ago

Thank you dear Pete for stopping by with your thoughts. You are appreciated. All best wishes.
.. read more
I love that last line! A very powerful poem overall. The rhyming is excellent and I noticed that each line is eight syllables long. Just one thing I want to point out that breaks the consistent eight syllables is the line that says "for certain what's desired is peace." I would suggest changing it from "desired is" to "desired's." That might look odd though. And maybe you meant that line to be nine syllables to have it stand out.
Poet's choice as always.

I find myself thinking about the themes in this poem often. Beautifully written.

Posted 1 Month Ago


Chris Shaw

1 Month Ago

Many thank yous for your visit and interest in this poem. I appreciate very much you stopping by to .. read more
We all really need that Pie in An Endless Sky!
Peace is never a compromise and love is never a supplementry. Kindness, courage and beauty to behold. Yes, we all really need that to live with harmony and love. Chris you wrote a masterstroke!

Posted 1 Month Ago


Chris Shaw

1 Month Ago

Thank you so much for your time and appreciation. I am thankful for your visit.

Chri.. read more
Writer at last! Sky ~

1 Month Ago

Most Welcome Chris! It was pleasure reading your words.
Too much hatred can stain you beyond recognition. But hatred is a part of all of us, we cannot love it all or love would cease to have meaning at all. Even if it is only a hatred over the fact that there is hate... we cannot escape the residual stain. The stain of existence is only partially of our choosing... you can hate that we hate, but that just leaves a different kind of stain. One easy to manipulate. Religion has made a killing off of this.

Posted 1 Month Ago


Chris Shaw

1 Month Ago

You just said it. Religion. The root of so much trouble. I keep well away from organised religion th.. read more
Davidgeo

1 Month Ago

It is always my pleasure.

First Page first
Previous Page prev
1
Share This
Email
Facebook
Twitter
Request Read Request
Add to Library My Library
Subscribe Subscribe


Stats

435 Views
23 Reviews
Rating
Added on February 28, 2024
Last Updated on February 28, 2024

Author

Chris Shaw
Chris Shaw

Berkshire, United Kingdom



About
Albert, my paternal grandfather introduced me to Tennyson when I was nine. I have loved poetry ever since but did not attempt writing a single piece until I was 40. It's never too late to try somethin.. more..

Writing

Related Writing

People who liked this story also liked..