Chasing the Dragon

Chasing the Dragon

A Poem by AaronFreitas
"

About a user finding an exit

"

She cries all alone in a filthy gutter.  The streets are littered with trash and transients.  Drugs are the norm, search for the next fix to avoid seeing the world for what it is.  As she awakens from her gutter she reaches for another needle.  She desperately digs for a spoon and looks for a way to cook up her smack.  At last she finds fire, torches the spoon and cooks her fix.  It’s her only friend in the world.  She doesn't judge, doesn't discriminate and makes her feel better than any man ever could.  She feels the tip enter her veins; her eyes roll back as she feels the warmth enter her body slowly destroying the innocence within her heart.  She has enough for her typical high but it’s not enough.  This time she wants to not only ease her pain but relieve her soul of the hurt in her heart. She continues with more, slowly pushing the plunger through the barrel.  With each drop her fears fade.  She continues to chase the dragon. Her memories erase and she floats like an angel.  Her head spins but with more control than she’s ever had.  The warmth she feels inside, for once she feels alive.  She lays back and closes her eyes only to see the brightest lights.  She reaches out, arms stretched but no one reaches back for her.  She’s falling, faster and faster.  Her head is spinning, what happened she cannot tell.  She realizes she’s gone and falling to hell.  

© 2015 AaronFreitas


Author's Note

AaronFreitas
Let me know what you think

My Review

Would you like to review this Poem?
Login | Register




Reviews

Wow, truly powerful story and words! I don't really see drugs as good or bad simply because I can understand how the addict mind works. How just one fix is all you need to get through the day. I've seen and know people who have gone through drug addictions, it's nothing beautiful, but I am able to accept them and understand what they crave for. I love the story you told and the descriptions. Nice title also :)

Posted 9 Years Ago


Powerful subject you've approached here, and you did it with style.
It's a very intimate portrait into the mind of a serious substance abuser.
Keep up the slick writing.


Posted 9 Years Ago


1 of 1 people found this review constructive.

AaronFreitas

9 Years Ago

Thank you Riley!
Loved it. I thought this would be about drugs. Very nice. :]

Posted 9 Years Ago


1 of 1 people found this review constructive.

AaronFreitas

9 Years Ago

Not everyone will know what that term even means... I sense some definite rebel in you ;) thanks for.. read more
Megan

9 Years Ago

Me? A rebel? Hehehe. I'm too innocent for that.
You're welcome. :)
AaronFreitas

9 Years Ago

Haha good... never do hard drugs that would be the last thing I'd ever recommend lol
This is such a tragic yet powerful write. You portray the pain that the user goes through in such a manner that I felt connected.

Posted 9 Years Ago


1 of 1 people found this review constructive.

AaronFreitas

9 Years Ago

Thank you so much for the review I appreciate you taking the time to read it.
Broken Wings

9 Years Ago

No problem, I enjoyed it.

Share This
Email
Facebook
Twitter
Request Read Request
Add to Library My Library
Subscribe Subscribe


Stats

154 Views
4 Reviews
Added on December 17, 2014
Last Updated on January 14, 2015
Tags: drugs, depression, death, friends, poetry, dark

Author

AaronFreitas
AaronFreitas

CA



About
I love to write, most my work tends to be on the darker side. I write from my heart and tend not to mess with it too much. I guess sometimes I write and post without focusing on what everyone else w.. more..

Writing
Reality Reality

A Poem by AaronFreitas