It�s not supposed to hurt�

It�s not supposed to hurt�

A Poem by An owl on the moon
"

For a precious friend who has been hurt in what was called love�

"

Hands meant to gently

wipe tears from your eyes

caress you

hold you…

Those were the very hands that struck

And scratched

And beat you down…

Lips meant to speak softly of your beauty

To caress your mouth

Your neck

Your cheeks…

Those were the very lips that cursed you

And ridiculed you

Made you feel like trash…

Love meant to restore you

Refresh you

Lift you and hold you…

That was not love…

It’s not supposed to hurt...

 

© 2008 An owl on the moon


My Review

Would you like to review this Poem?
Login | Register




Reviews

[send message][befriend] Subscribe
.
so powerful, loved the way you changed the type colour, really hit home the message. Extremely good poem. well done :)

Posted 13 Years Ago


I like the directness, honesty and point of view you used. For someone as descriptive and visual as you, this stands out - it's spoken less as a writer, more as a human being.

'It's not supposed to hurt'

For everyone on the outside, it is so obvious that abuse is wrong, but when you're on the inside, it is hard to see things rationally after the mental abuse has distorted your view of yourself. I like how you contrast loving actions, with the abuse, as it shows just how abnormal and unacceptable the latter is. Almost as if those who have gotten used to and justified their treatment need to be reminded of what love actually is, 'it's not supposed to hurt'. It’s that simple.

Very poignant in its directness and simplicity, very powerful, I was quite moved. I can feel a hint of disbelief that the woman in question cannot see it for herself, I think this leads to the 'spelling it out' feeling your word choice, layout and approach give. It works to raise awareness, not just for people in general, but maybe for people who tend to accept and ignore what is going on in their own relationship.

Wonderful piece, thank you for entering.

Posted 13 Years Ago


Wow. That is true in some relationships and sometimes you can't get out of them or you'll get hurt worse until you finally get help. Some people after stuff like that start to be afraid to trust anyone. Some become afraid to fall in love since they;re afraid of being beaten again and again by someone else they love. So much emotion in this write.

Posted 13 Years Ago


Wow, I have read very many poems about domestic abuse, but this was the most straight forward. The words were so simple, when the meaning was so strong. Amazing. I can truly say that this poem impressed me. I'm in the processes of writing a book on abuse (I sent it into the "raise awareness" contest, hense me finding this poem), and I figured you might be interested. I loved this piece, truly. Fantastic Job. 100/100

Posted 13 Years Ago


Oh now this is another really deeply moving piece.. we all do believe love is not supposed to hurt.. but it sure does.. in this writing someone was really hurt by another on so many levels.. so not fair but so real in this world.. horrible to have to experience it.. I know this feeling from long ago.. still occassionally feel the wrath of the ridicule by those surrounding him from time to time ... nasty rumours.. all that the person you write of is try their best to move forward and fight being brought down by that kind of behaviour.. those who chose to believe the ridicule are as shallow as the ones spreading it!!! Only the act of a true coward would ever treat someone so badly in a relationship.. words hurt just as badly and more than fists sometimes.. If this was written for a friend.. you are truly a wonderful person to uphold them and understand their plight and feel for them.. so much emotion here.. sad.. love can bring such pain especially in the aftermath!!! =)

Posted 14 Years Ago


such a refreshing and brilliant poem, such simple and eternal truths told in so simple yet so very poetic a way!! I wish I had at least half the craft of expressing simple truths like you! Simply awestruck by this poem of yours! Thanks a lot for sharing....

Posted 15 Years Ago


Oooooohhh...I really like this poem

Posted 15 Years Ago


I love the imagery that the different texts bring;
A soft, elegant text for the 'good' things,
And a bloody, bold, red text for the hurtful things.

Great job. (:

Posted 15 Years Ago


I love this poem, it is beautiful, it is written well, and I can relate to it very well also. Good job! :)

Posted 15 Years Ago


1 of 1 people found this review constructive.


Share This
Email
Facebook
Twitter
Request Read Request
Add to Library My Library
Subscribe Subscribe


Stats

1188 Views
36 Reviews
Rating
Shelved in 7 Libraries
Added on April 26, 2008
Last Updated on November 29, 2008

Author

An owl on the moon
An owl on the moon

About
2024 is here... May we make it so much more heaven than hell... Wishing all peace on earth... Together, maybe we go the distance... The night has a thousand eyes, And the day but one; Yet t.. more..

Writing

Related Writing

People who liked this story also liked..


The Love Divide The Love Divide

A Poem by Bubo





Advertise Here
Want to advertise here? Get started for as little as $5