It�s not supposed to hurt�

It�s not supposed to hurt�

A Poem by An owl on the moon
"

For a precious friend who has been hurt in what was called love�

"

Hands meant to gently

wipe tears from your eyes

caress you

hold you…

Those were the very hands that struck

And scratched

And beat you down…

Lips meant to speak softly of your beauty

To caress your mouth

Your neck

Your cheeks…

Those were the very lips that cursed you

And ridiculed you

Made you feel like trash…

Love meant to restore you

Refresh you

Lift you and hold you…

That was not love…

It’s not supposed to hurt...

 

© 2008 An owl on the moon


My Review

Would you like to review this Poem?
Login | Register




Reviews

Wow. This poem certainly strikes a nerve with all who read it. This piece was beautifully written and certainly will stand the test of time. It holds such a sense of pain and heartache, but the end is like a soothing balm. Once that person realizes that it isn't love, things will start to mend.

I like the fact that you wrote "Those were the very hands that struck you," "Those were the very lips that cursed you," instead of "My," "His," or "Her" because it leaves it all open to interpretation and each reader can take from it what they will. A woman can relate to it or a man can, and that makes this an even more powerful piece.

I greatly enjoyed reading this and being able to relate to it. Nice job!

Posted 16 Years Ago


As i can see from below many others can relate to your poem, i have to say, this one even caught me a little. It is beyond truthful, it is not love, just a lie....

#-#

Rocher

Posted 16 Years Ago


How painful.

I understand these lines too well. How beautiful, "Lips meant to speak softly of your beauty." Yet ugly, "Those were the very lips that cursed you ... Made you feel like trash�" It is not easy to pretend, to be blind, to smile and carry on; the reality is you are dying inside because "It's not supposed to hurt�" but its not easy to accept "that was not love."


Posted 16 Years Ago


God, this is such an amazingly insightful poem dear.
I feel such sorry and sympathy.

Posted 16 Years Ago


I find it interesting that you use the phrase "these were the...." As opposed to something like "his" or "hers" or "those"

When you use "these", I picture you speakng it... implying your own hands... If you use the word "those" it would inply another's hands... As would using "his" or "hers".... "His were the hands that struck...." But if it is your own hands you are implying... well You and I would have to have a disscussion about the fiction or non-fiction occuring in this piece....

Danielle

Posted 16 Years Ago


Exactly!

Posted 16 Years Ago


0 of 2 people found this review constructive.


4
next Next Page
last Last Page
Share This
Email
Facebook
Twitter
Request Read Request
Add to Library My Library
Subscribe Subscribe


Stats

1188 Views
36 Reviews
Rating
Shelved in 7 Libraries
Added on April 26, 2008
Last Updated on November 29, 2008

Author

An owl on the moon
An owl on the moon

About
2024 is here... May we make it so much more heaven than hell... Wishing all peace on earth... Together, maybe we go the distance... The night has a thousand eyes, And the day but one; Yet t.. more..

Writing

Related Writing

People who liked this story also liked..


The Love Divide The Love Divide

A Poem by Bubo