A TREASURE IN A CHILD

A TREASURE IN A CHILD

A Poem by An owl on the moon
"

A miracle in the midst of the madness…

"

 

In moments of earthen rage

When horrors grip our planet’s cage

 

And rip us from our sleep

Take children from their mother’s keep

 

Fires rage in city streets

While solid rock in dread retreats

 

Some grip and cling to bread

While others give to spite the dread

 

World torn where Tia lived

An orphan with but herself to give

 

Desperation her daily song

Now music of her father moves strong

 

How he sought for her

And fierce refused to be deterred

 

Until he saw his jewel

And plucked her from the cruel world

 

Now wrapped in arms so tight

She’ll smilingly dream into this night

 

In moments of earthen wilds

He found such treasure in a child…

 

© 2010 An owl on the moon


Author's Note

An owl on the moon
Image is of Missy and Mike Wilson holding newly adopted Tia from Haiti… You may find out more about Tia’s story at: http://www.fox17.com/newsroom/top_stories/wztv_vid_2563.shtml

I also recommend reading “Man’s Search for Meaning” (1946) by Viktor Frankl, who saw such despair in a concentration camp… realizing some would steal bread from the dying, and others would share their last crust… seeing the depth of both good and evil that lies within each of us. Courage is certainly not the absence of fear. It is being willing to act to spite your fears.

My Review

Would you like to review this Poem?
Login | Register




Featured Review

Very good write...as usual. What happened in Haiti is so sad. They were a poor country to begin with, and now they have more to deal with. And who knows how they will come out in the end. I for sure hope that they turn out ok. Anyways about your poem. I thought it was very good. Tia looks like she would be a sweet little girl. Thank God she has a family now. AWESOME write can't wait for more!!

Posted 14 Years Ago


2 of 2 people found this review constructive.




Reviews

A wonderful piece, Craig. Thanks for bringing such a story to our attention.

Posted 14 Years Ago


Hello,I like this very much!!! It is bitter sweet and beautiful! I have read "Man's Search for Meaning" many times,it is a very saving read...If in such horrid conditions people can rise above them with hope still in their hearts and God still in their faith,then anything is possible!!!!!!!!!!!!! :) We must overcome the darkness and walk into the light- God Bless the children/"Mother is the name for God on the lips and hearts of all children." The Crow

Posted 14 Years Ago


I love the inspiration for this! So heart-wrenching. I'm happy there was a happy ending for her.

Posted 14 Years Ago


I reckon MJ's song Heal the world,make it a better place for you and for me and the entire human race.There are people dying if you care for the living , make it a batter place for you and for me.
You poem is as good as the song ,cheers!!

Posted 14 Years Ago


This was so incredibly sweet how disaster can end in a miracle spine tingiling, Great write.

Posted 14 Years Ago


Pretentious, completely and utterly pretentious…I am amazed.

Posted 14 Years Ago


Oh yes.....always follow the heart! Your write gives me much hope and is an inspiration to overcome adversity ty doing what is good!
Wonderful!!

Posted 14 Years Ago


This is very touching Craig as we humans are definitely all connected to one another and when a calamity strikes somewhere on the planet, the beauty that comes out of it is to see that there are so many other humans, no matter how far away they are, who show the love and care that is needed for our humanity to carry on living and loving and caring .... Your write is full of sensitivity and love - beautiful :))))
Salaam (peace)

Nassira

Posted 14 Years Ago


I think it's commendable that you were not only moved to write after what happened, but you've managed to produce a piece which will last a lot longer than the media coverage. It's masterfully written, the language and imagery beautiful. Thanks for the read, as always.

Posted 14 Years Ago


I was watching the news last night, and I heard where many are adopting children who have survived the disaster in Haiti...

It takes very special people to take on the responsibility of raising a child.... Your author's note is a poem in itself... 'Courage is certainly not in the absence of fear'.... I still have faith that most of us, given the choice, would act, thus, sacrificing ourselves to save another...

The imagery makes this piece literally come to life... The reader feels the sweat, the pain, the fear...and the tears... Speaking as a parent myself, I'm sure Tia's parents would cry tears of joy to know that their daughter has two people who love her....and want her...

You're not only a great poet, you are a fine activist and humanitarian as well.

Posted 14 Years Ago



First Page first
Previous Page prev
1
Share This
Email
Facebook
Twitter
Request Read Request
Add to Library My Library
Subscribe Subscribe


Stats

1049 Views
27 Reviews
Shelved in 1 Library
Added on January 20, 2010
Last Updated on February 13, 2010

Author

An owl on the moon
An owl on the moon

About
2024 is here... May we make it so much more heaven than hell... Wishing all peace on earth... Together, maybe we go the distance... The night has a thousand eyes, And the day but one; Yet t.. more..

Writing