Of Clocks and Clouds

Of Clocks and Clouds

A Poem by An owl on the moon
"

For any who have ever felt shackled in their circumstances...

"













 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 

The door to the old Inn screeches open, shedding veiled light on the figure approaching.

“Your eyes glimpse only yesterday, my friend. Where is today in your vision?” he says.

      “Yesterday is all I have of value... How I want to exit here. Life is like the seas’ sand; beaten and lifeless.” He turns from me and lifts his hand toward the tide, framed in dusty glass.

“To your simple existence, do not boast;

merely to breathe or move or think is not to live.

The shore of the sea is but a ghost,

compared to the depth its wholeness gives.

You exist in the miry foam;

make the ocean depths your home.”

Smoked and shady gray light reflects from the counter. Raven guests drift past slowly in silence as the sea cries.

“You don’t understand,” I say. “You don’t understand these chains:

I long to drift through turquoise skies;

race the wind in rampant flight.

Ruddy chains have framed my eyes,

they seize my heart and stain the light.”

He turns to walk toward the door then speaks. “How many waves will beat this shore until you breathe your last? These chains will bind unendingly, unless you kill your past.” Turning his eyes toward mine he says, “Let it go…you must let it go.”

At this, he passes through the Inn’s door into shimmering amber. Pillars of celestial light support the roof of clouds and mist, scattering shadowed shapes across the horizon.

The golden ball of fire brings warmth again.

How I wish the sallow heat could

take this lonely man.

The breeze, a song, plays through the

rustling sand grass and hollow.

A tune played over memories’ dust sweetens the air.

The days have been wind; the weeks as moving air. Oh, that the clocks ever changing face might rest for only a moment, or cease for all time.

Oh, is not eternity an everlasting moment?

If only I could touch silent stillness, but the waves are endless. Each wave brings the clock a new face. How it ages so across the tortured tide. Fire cascades from heaven as the sun begins its morning reign, swallowing streaked shadows like a ravenous snake.

      I walk to the waves, watching them wash clean the face of the shore, and I feel an echo flood over me. “Make the ocean depths your home…”

© 2012 An owl on the moon


My Review

Would you like to review this Poem?
Login | Register




Featured Review

That ending is almost too much, I'm gasping, wondering what the next step means. Your words have an amazing mix of prose and poetry, a marriage of mystery and myth .. and yet again, you prove your gentling power in drawing readers into a place: 'These chains will bind unendingly, unless you kill your past.” Turning his eyes toward mine he says, “Let it go…you must let it go.”

You have a way of turning seemingly straightforward tho fine phrases into an immense secret ..

Posted 11 Years Ago


2 of 2 people found this review constructive.




Reviews

this is so beautiful. i read it twice to make sure i grasped it all. "you don't understand these chains" i love that so much. "fire cascades from heaven" your description was just so beautiful. amazing. :)

Posted 11 Years Ago


I can relate to the feelings you express in this poem. I have felt this way before..holding on to the past because it's memories are sweeter than the present. This part stood out to me the most: "He turns to walk toward the door then speaks. “How many waves will beat this shore until you breathe your last? These chains will bind unendingly, unless you kill your past.” Turning his eyes toward mine he says, “Let it go…you must let it go.”

Also I love the Alice in Wonderland inspired picture that you used, amazing work, 100

Posted 11 Years Ago


what a nice write....has a Hemmingway feel to it.

Posted 11 Years Ago


[send message][befriend] Subscribe
Eve
This speaks to me in waves that are undescribable..excellent poetry, just breathtaking.

Posted 11 Years Ago


I really enjoyed reading this. I enjoyed the plot and all the fantastic imagery. Your talent sure shines in this poem!!

Posted 11 Years Ago


[send message][befriend] Subscribe
...
thank you for allowing me in to your words. you are both blessed and inspiring!

Posted 11 Years Ago


Craig writes very well, this is a mystic, dream-like prose poem full of richness, with a really great last line, reminded me a bit ( maybe due to the picture ) of Lewis Carroll. A fine poem, well written.

Posted 11 Years Ago


[send message][befriend] Subscribe
...
A dream of death and rebirth...smiles

Posted 11 Years Ago


This is a very grand, sweeping and amazing write. Outstanding imagery in this and the tale in this really pulls the reader in. I sense a bit of sadness in this as well as splendor. A truly extraordinary write!

Posted 11 Years Ago


I love the classic feel of this. The flow of your words, the imagery. Everything is so beautifully put into place. I love it.

Posted 11 Years Ago



Share This
Email
Facebook
Twitter
Request Read Request
Add to Library My Library
Subscribe Subscribe


Stats

1916 Views
34 Reviews
Rating
Shelved in 4 Libraries
Added on May 26, 2012
Last Updated on May 27, 2012

Author

An owl on the moon
An owl on the moon

About
2024 is here... May we make it so much more heaven than hell... Wishing all peace on earth... Together, maybe we go the distance... The night has a thousand eyes, And the day but one; Yet t.. more..

Writing

Related Writing

People who liked this story also liked..