Of Clocks and Clouds

Of Clocks and Clouds

A Poem by An owl on the moon
"

For any who have ever felt shackled in their circumstances...

"













 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 

The door to the old Inn screeches open, shedding veiled light on the figure approaching.

“Your eyes glimpse only yesterday, my friend. Where is today in your vision?” he says.

      “Yesterday is all I have of value... How I want to exit here. Life is like the seas’ sand; beaten and lifeless.” He turns from me and lifts his hand toward the tide, framed in dusty glass.

“To your simple existence, do not boast;

merely to breathe or move or think is not to live.

The shore of the sea is but a ghost,

compared to the depth its wholeness gives.

You exist in the miry foam;

make the ocean depths your home.”

Smoked and shady gray light reflects from the counter. Raven guests drift past slowly in silence as the sea cries.

“You don’t understand,” I say. “You don’t understand these chains:

I long to drift through turquoise skies;

race the wind in rampant flight.

Ruddy chains have framed my eyes,

they seize my heart and stain the light.”

He turns to walk toward the door then speaks. “How many waves will beat this shore until you breathe your last? These chains will bind unendingly, unless you kill your past.” Turning his eyes toward mine he says, “Let it go…you must let it go.”

At this, he passes through the Inn’s door into shimmering amber. Pillars of celestial light support the roof of clouds and mist, scattering shadowed shapes across the horizon.

The golden ball of fire brings warmth again.

How I wish the sallow heat could

take this lonely man.

The breeze, a song, plays through the

rustling sand grass and hollow.

A tune played over memories’ dust sweetens the air.

The days have been wind; the weeks as moving air. Oh, that the clocks ever changing face might rest for only a moment, or cease for all time.

Oh, is not eternity an everlasting moment?

If only I could touch silent stillness, but the waves are endless. Each wave brings the clock a new face. How it ages so across the tortured tide. Fire cascades from heaven as the sun begins its morning reign, swallowing streaked shadows like a ravenous snake.

      I walk to the waves, watching them wash clean the face of the shore, and I feel an echo flood over me. “Make the ocean depths your home…”

© 2012 An owl on the moon


My Review

Would you like to review this Poem?
Login | Register




Featured Review

That ending is almost too much, I'm gasping, wondering what the next step means. Your words have an amazing mix of prose and poetry, a marriage of mystery and myth .. and yet again, you prove your gentling power in drawing readers into a place: 'These chains will bind unendingly, unless you kill your past.” Turning his eyes toward mine he says, “Let it go…you must let it go.”

You have a way of turning seemingly straightforward tho fine phrases into an immense secret ..

Posted 11 Years Ago


2 of 2 people found this review constructive.




Reviews

Beautiful imagery, and also a lovly, sad feel. Perhaps ocean depths are all that's left...

Posted 11 Years Ago


This was very breathtaking. I think the imagery and the picture you create are very beautiful. It is so hard to let go of the things that have held us hostage. We must try though. Well done.

Posted 11 Years Ago


You are a beautiful, expressive writer. :-)

This is going in my favorites.

*could you move it down a couple of spaces? The word The (at the beginning) is next to the photo and it is a little distracting.



Posted 11 Years Ago


Awesome write Craig, I really enjoyed this.
You write with amazing imagery.

Posted 11 Years Ago



4
next Next Page
last Last Page
Share This
Email
Facebook
Twitter
Request Read Request
Add to Library My Library
Subscribe Subscribe


Stats

1916 Views
34 Reviews
Rating
Shelved in 4 Libraries
Added on May 26, 2012
Last Updated on May 27, 2012

Author

An owl on the moon
An owl on the moon

About
2024 is here... May we make it so much more heaven than hell... Wishing all peace on earth... Together, maybe we go the distance... The night has a thousand eyes, And the day but one; Yet t.. more..

Writing

Related Writing

People who liked this story also liked..