Creation Ranch 13

Creation Ranch 13

A Chapter by John Fredrick Carver

Chapter 13:  Fire

 

 

It wasn’t long until the money ran out and with no food in the house for Lois to cook Fancy finally went to see the banker, a well-known friend of the ladies in town, but especially Lois’ mom, whom he called Hyacinth, not after the flower but because it sounded the opposite of Lois whom he adored in a much different way than her mother.

“Why hello, Mr. Crooxon,” she said. 

“Hello Fancy?  What can I do for you?” he said.

“Well … what I really need is to sell my house?”

“And you want me to sell it for you … your account is empty … Am I correct?”

“You are sir?”

“Look, Fancy, if that’s your name … I could have you placed in the poor farm in Ionica and take possession of your house and be safe … I suspect your husband Mr. Hapner … if he was that, deserved to live a long and healthy life … The way it is … the only thing I can suggest … and it is only temporary … well, if I were to come to your house and be entertained by your exquisite hospitality for several hours before a poker game … well, I have never lost to Hap yet in poker but there is always a first time, wouldn’t you agree, Mrs. Hapner?”

“Rex!” she scolded, “I am amazed you would even think I would ask you to lose money at poker because you came to visit me tonight or any other night.  We could eat first, but I’m afraid we might have to borrow from your larder for I have nothing in my house to eat?”

“Fancy, I accept your gracious invitation, you let me make dinner for both of us and serve it for you after the poker game?”

“But, Rex Crooxon, Lois is an excellent cook; by all means let her cook for us?”

“Very well, but I do not like the idea of Lois being involved at all, and in anyway, now or in the future.  And, by the bye, I do hope that son of yours is behaving himself even at his age.  I have been concerned for I see him with none of the other young girls?  He is not … um … like his father I hope, but I also hope the alternative is not taking place or I might have to call the Havolls in to settle up with him appropriately?”

“Rex, I never knew you were so prevailingly honest.  It excites me.  Seven or so then?” she said and offered him the top of her right hand instead of the left.

“Well!” he said.  “That is different.  I shall be there with bells on at seven sharp!”

He watched her walk away admiringly, shook his head and went back to business a while before he looked at the clock as he said, “That’s less than twenty minutes!” and looked down the street to the big house in the middle of town before adding, “Rex?  Are you slipping old boy or is the party on you every night for a while at least at their behest if you go through with it tonight?  Well played old boy.  Well played.”

Lois was glad to be cooking that night and every night for the next month while Rex Crooxon came to visit Fancy supposedly, and indeed Fancy kept the bed warm for him any time he might want to join her, but the bulk of the single banker’s time was spent talking and playing the piano with Lois for whom he bought many fine evening gowns and even bought a friendship ring that looked more like an engagement ring than anything.

One night as the four of them sat at dinner, Rex was cooking, but there was a knock at the door, and he abruptly dashed to it as if a butler and opening it said, “What do you want?”

Everyone was alarmed.  However, Mr. Crooxon stepped outside as he and the mysterious visitor talked for several minutes without a genuine giggle the entire time.  Mr. Crooxon eventually stepped back in and announced, “Hyacinth would like a word with you Lois, dear,” and sheepishly disappeared back into the kitchen where something smelled as if it were burning.

Lois went out to meet her mother on the porch. 

“Lois?” the woman Lois knew only as someone who would not allow her to acknowledge her in the slightest before asked.

“Lois, you and I both know you have nothing to do with me.”

When Lois turned to walk back in the house again Hyacinth turned her around by grabbing her shoulder and tearing the fine fabric of a shoulder piece. 

Lois looked at it in shock.

“That will cost you, Mother,” she said.

“No it won’t, my dear little phony.”

Lois again turned to go back in the house.

“This house is going to burn to the ground tonight.  The entire family and Mr. Rex Crooxon will be burned to death in the inferno too.  If only someone knew when the fire would start so she could have warned them, or better yet made sure they were in the park at the boxing match between Eli, and some other boy, an itinerate probably?”

“But that is even before the poker game?  Hap has been winning lately.  It keeps us going but just barely you ugly, old, spirit!  You witch!” she said and went back in the house unable to hide the fact she was upset.

The meal was a disaster, and at the boxing match when the house caught fire Lois sat among the four, wringing her hands and Rex Crooxon suddenly got up and walked briskly to the bank as if not surprised by the fire at all.   He was even seen later by Lois and Hap coming out of Hyacinth’s small house on the edge of town just after dark was changing to light before sunup.

“Lois?” Hap said.  “If only someone knew when the fire would start so she could have warned them, or better yet made sure they were in the park at the boxing match … huh?  I must be delirious.  Who on earth would have said such a thing?   Sometimes my hearing is entirely too acute.  What do you suppose Fancy would do to someone who knew such a thing or made sure we were none of us home when it happened?”

“How did you… you were at the far end of the table … the Deag?”

“Hardly … But I’ve wondered why Rex went to your mother’s brothel the same night.  I always do.  But, I wonder why he did too, and on that particular night too.”


© 2013 John Fredrick Carver


My Review

Would you like to review this Chapter?
Login | Register




Reviews


Share This
Email
Facebook
Twitter
Request Read Request
Add to Library My Library
Subscribe Subscribe


Stats

217 Views
1 Review
Added on July 22, 2013
Last Updated on July 27, 2013
Tags: online novel, western


Author

John Fredrick Carver
John Fredrick Carver

Northern Minnesota, USA, MN



About
Nobody cared. I thought some of you at least one of you all were my friend. more..

Writing